• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Travel trailer newbie!

I have never been able to determine that delivery/curb/brochure weight even includes the furniture, tv and such. 

As far as the tires go even though they rate at a total of 15840#, my axles are only rated at 7k each'

Edited by dripley

• Owner
55 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

Just increasing tires doesn't mean you can carry more. 

Agreed! 

55 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

It really depends. In most cases it's the operational limit of some component. The frame, axles, tires, brakes, etc

Typically in trailers, it's either axles or frame limitations.

Like for example, my BigTex 70TV is rated for 7,000 pounds with twin 3,500 pound axles. Now the BigTex 60CH flat bed trailer is 6,000 GVW. As you'll see the same axles are used in the two trailers so why only GVWR 6,000 pound limit? Because the frames are not the same. I actually stopped at the BigTex factory to ask about that and it not always an axle or tire limitation but a frame limitation could occur!

of all the trailer tires i've used over the years the carlisle and the hurcules were the best.

with the hurcules having a stiffer/thicker sidewall and lasting longer for me.

One of my flatbeds has the carlisle and the other had hurcs. and my 5'er has hurcs.

http://www.herculestire.com/tire-gallery/commercial/specialty/

oh and the hurcules are a fair bit let cash as well. all 4 for 380$ OTD!!!!

i'm at 5 years on them. still look great.!

all though i see they've gone up some.

http://flagstaff.craigslist.org/grq/5623848284.html

Edited by Killer223

• Staff
13 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Typically in trailers, it's either axles or frame limitations.

Generally yes.

My TT is a little different thou. I have a frame that is typically used on 10K-12K trailers and a pair of 5,200lb axles with a 7,900 GVWR. GVWR was determined by "delivery" weight plus 1,700lbs (IIRC) of payload. Not based on frame/axles/brakes/etc.

I'll admit I ignore my GVWR on this trailer. My previous trailer GVWR was matched with axle/frame and I didn't ignore it.

• Owner

So for the sake of safety I suggest people stick with the GVWR rating of the trailer. There is rare times like AH64ID points out you can exceed some GVWR values. Since most people do not know the manufacture specs of there trailer frame, axle, tires, brakes, etc. I would still highly suggest to stay below GVWR. Less likely to have issues, failures or an accident.

• Staff
1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

So for the sake of safety I suggest people stick with the GVWR rating of the trailer. There is rare times like AH64ID points out you can exceed some GVWR values. Since most people do not know the manufacture specs of there trailer frame, axle, tires, brakes, etc. I would still highly suggest to stay below GVWR. Less likely to have issues, failures or an accident.

I agree 100%. If you aren't sure then use the OEM numbers as you cannot go wrong.

We may not all follow the same do's and dont's but I think for the most part the members of this forum are very commonsensical people.....  I enjoy the round-tabling discussions too.

On another note, I was cruising down the freeway the other day doing around 73 mph in the right lane.  It was late afternoon and about 95* outside.  Traffic was light but there was still plenty of vehicles out on the road.

I was then passed up by a Ford F150 towing a TT.  I'm going to guess the TT was about 24' and they were doing at least 80 mph.  Not a terribly big trailer because I noticed the lighter weight tires and rims but big enough that this truck was sagging a little from the weight and the trailer would wag often, especially when he passed a semi.  The truck was probably around 10 years old but I couldn't tell as he was going too fast, although I did notice his larger aftermarket rims (probably 18's or 20's) with wide low profile tires.  He was on the throttle hard too as his exhaust was blaring when he passed by.

All I could think was I hope nothing happens to them because they had Washington plates and had a long way to go with some long freeway grades in front of them.

• Like 2

• Owner
6 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Katoom..... this argument you started over tires...... when your at the 2017 eclipse, I'm lettin' Michael use my 12 gallon squirt gun.

:thumb1:

Heck with that I'm bringing a fire dept float pump and about 300 feet of 1 1/2" fire hose. I'll cool you all down... Then break out the beer... :cheers:

14 hours ago, KATOOM said:

I'll just show up late after everyone's to lit to remember any of this.....

I might have to stay sober just to meet you. We can discuss air pressure in our shoes. key word there is MIGHT. It is good to see you back around here.

• 3 weeks later...

Well had a good trip this last week. Went to to Lynden, WA for the Puget Sound Antique Tractor Show. 

Mitch was the first real test in towing I've put the truck through and she did great. No complaints!

image.jpeg

Had a nice little campsite setup

image.jpeg

and of course, antique tractors!

image.jpeg

Had a really great time!

Definitely had a fun time pulling with the truck but it's shed light on somethings I want to get done before towing again.

• Like 3

Mainly suspension type stuff.

I have a clunk in my front end somewhere that I THINK is my control arm bushings, so getting those swapped out. Also want to look at getting leveling coils and bilsteins valved for the trucks front and rear and lastly a shackle flip, but I'm not 100% sure how that really affects towing capacity.

Either way, the truck did fine as is, but it could be better I think. The truck sat pretty level, but that was with a weight distribution hitch. Had I towed without it, there would've been some serious rake.