• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Unidentified noise

Ever since i hit the deer, the truck has been making a funny noise. Anytime i hit the brakes or turn the steering wheel, i get an oscillating chirp noise that follows vehicle speed. I can't feel it in the steering or braking but annoying. 

Could it be coincidence, and be front u joints or???

Ugh...

Check for rubbing you might not see if the suspension is not compressed. Braking and turning will compress it. Wheel bearing are easy check like Mike and CSM mention. My right front u joint was gone when I did my brake job and I never heard one squeak from it. Of course my hearing sucks.

If i go straight down the road, it doesn't make the noise. But If i were to brake, even going straight, it would do it. 

It'll have to be something to check this weekend... i pulled the front drive shaft last night only one joint looked okay. One of the needle caps was shattered. 

With everything needing my attention on this truck, a newer one is looking better and better...lol. 

6 hours ago, hex0rz said:

I sure hope they aren't wheel bearings. I cannot afford 300 to replace those suckers!

That's why I grease mine :) 

Check the brake hardware as well. I got a slight chirp while braking, and it was the hardware being pulled into the rotor.

• Like 1

• Owner

Be careful with the greasing idea. That why I got to ditch mine now because the graphite in the grease is messing with the ABS sensors. So now I got to replace my wheel bearing in front because of a grease issue. If I take the time and blow the grease out of the tone wheel teeth it last for about 2-3 days and comes right back after the grease get back in the teeth. 

21 minutes ago, hex0rz said:

I know the oem units are sealed, how are you greasing them?

Pop the sensor out and grease it through the hole. It's in my build thread a page or 2 back.

19 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Be careful with the greasing idea. That why I got to ditch mine now because the graphite in the grease is messing with the ABS sensors. So now I got to replace my wheel bearing in front because of a grease issue. If I take the time and blow the grease out of the tone wheel teeth it last for about 2-3 days and comes right back after the grease get back in the teeth. 

I think that's more of a problem with yours Mike. I guarantee I have WAY more grease in the tone ring on mine than you do on yours. Thus that tells me it's not just a grease issue.

You might as well grease yours.... it isn't working as it is. It'll just make em last longer.

• Like 2

Then the only way to do yours would be to drill it, unless there's a plug where the sensor would be. Personally I would do something! I'm really amazed no one greases them. Yes they're sealed, but I don't see why they shouldn't be greased. If you do research (I did a ton!) there's guys out there with 400K+ on factory, greased front bearings.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hex0rz said:

Because, they say they are non serviceable. Therefore no one greases them, lol. 

I'll look into adding zerks, though, If they're good, lol. 

I guess I'm more surprised there isn't more widespread information about getting some grease in them. It's like never greasing the bearings on a trailer.... yes, they'll last a while, but they last longer if you re-pack them once in a while!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TFaoro said:

I guess I'm more surprised there isn't more widespread information about getting some grease in them. It's like never greasing the bearings on a trailer.... yes, they'll last a while, but they last longer if you re-pack them once in a while!

I wish these trucks used regular wheel bearings.

• Like 1