• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

End Of An Awesome Era

dorkweed

Don't know quite how to type this delicately;  so I'm just gonna type it..........

After a lot of soul searching and "hemming and hawing", I traded MightyWhitey and wound up buying a 2016 Chevy Silverado gasser.  Really didn't want to, but I felt it was best both functionally and financially for me.  Let me explain........

For the last year;  I've been experiencing the P2121 etc. APPS codes on MightyWhitey.  Got so bad that I took it to the dealer after setting the Smarty back to stock.  New ECM solved it for a while...................but the variety of APPS codes have started popping up at random occasions and at the worst possible times.  I cannot have that.  Truck runs incredible until these codes pop;  and then it's the dead pedal and/or hard fueling.  I could never tow a trailer with this happening.

My parents are elderly, and I go down often to be with them and do stuff for them.................60 miles away.  Cannot have a truck that tosses a code and is essentially undrivable .................especially in an emergency.

Also;  I had the nagging thought of putting a fair amount of $$$$$ into her shortly.........................tires and brakes for sure;  and then there was that nagging thing about injectors, front end work and clutch.   241,000 on OEM injectors, 100,000+ on the brakes,  170.000+ on ball joints and tie rod ends,  170,000 on the SB OFE clutch, etc.

Not to mention that the rockers were about ready to start showing holes in them from rust;  as well as the rear wheel wells.

I'll still check in here, and spread my limited knowledge and BS around though.

I will be putting up my Smarty for sale here shortly also.

Thanks guys.

Edited by dorkweed

My wife cried when I sold my 02, she doesn't realize that it was just a hunk of iron, she thinks of it different than me she saw me pour sweat and passion into it for years but all things have an ending point which is different to all. I talked to her for 2 years that the 03 VW tdi was going down the road before 300k as well as it was due for more routine maintenance and work all at once than what the car was worth.

Can't say I would do anything different than you did, If I had to replace my 05 Cummins there would be a newer Ram 2500 crew cab with a 6.4L hemi in it sitting in my garage in place of the cummins, I would not go with a newer diesel anymore.

We run chevy at work and I would never ever look at one for myself personally, heck our full time pickup mechanic is........umm was a hard core GM man until recently he bought a Toyota Tundra.

Edited by Wild and Free
  • Like 1

With MightyWhitey rusting away before my eyes.......................and with the maintenance/parts I knew I'd have to put into her shortly............................it was time.   

If the P's were closer;  not such a big deal, but they're an hour+ away!!!  And the "emergency" situation scenario involving the P's was the kicker.  I cannot be driving down and have the dead pedal thing happen.....................I won't let it happen.........................hence the new Chevy.

The stealership I bought the Chevy from was within $300 of KBB and Edmunds on my trade worth.................that coupled with the dealer incentives and rebates.......................I got a really good truck and a great price IMHO.  It tows my work trailer surprisingly well also!!!!  Granted, it (work trailer) only goes around 3500lbs. though!!!  

Later

Yea the GM trucks aren't too bad I gotta say. The wife drives a 14 GMC Sierra 1500 and it's been a good truck. Sounds like it was about time for a change for you though so glad you ended up with something new, reliable, and one that the dealership can worry about maintaining for a bit until you have too! :thumb1:

Also, I may be interested in your smarty depending on how my financials are looking! :wink:

• Like 1

I understand you completely and suuport your decision. Recently I've sold a few things myself that I thought would not sell for a long time. But material things come and go, where you only have one set of parents. My truck is not perfect by any means and as much as I shoved in it and hardly used it, it's hard for me to even think of selling it at this point, but few times it gave me hard time I was considering it. Until later looking at price tags and people still having problems with newer trucks plus a lot more expensive to fix and a payment. So for now I'm going to keep it but the rust is taking over and it's only got 145k, pretty sad. I might start driving daily to get some miles on it so the engine catches up to body and I can get some of the money back out of it. But having hard time to belive I'll ever put a million miles on it, I think there will be nothing left of the body. Plus as long as it will take me to put that many miles I wonder if parts will be available. To top it off one thing is always in back of my mind when traveling far, that is will vp just die or maybe ecm and then what. But I guess it could happen to any vehicle with other problems. I guess point I'm tryingto make is, if I could afford a new truck every few years I'd be trading them in and not waist any time on fixing, and maybe have a project truck or somethingwith cummins to tinker with, like a 4bt jeep or 6bt suburban. On my future list, don't tell my wife. 

I got an f350 I drive at work ( city job) and one of locals asked me, how come you didn't get a Chevy, I told him it wasn't that comfortable to sleep in. But I wouldn't know ether way, should of seen a look on his face though. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AH64ID said:

Sorry to hear that!

Did you replace the APPS? I would be surprised if the dealer jumped to a ECM for an APPS code. 

Yes the gasser will tow that small trailer quite well. 

Yes..............twice over the years.  The last time wasn't to far removed when I HAD to take it into the stealership last year around this time, because nothing I did with the Smarty or the tunes, checking grounds, etc. made a difference.  

I did talk with the tech that worked on my truck......................told him everything.  I was online for hours researching stuff on this also........................connectors, splices, plugs etc. on our trucks.  I'm not well enough versed in the geekie electronic field;  and I didn't want to start pulling wiring harnesses apart......................so I broke down and took it to the stealer.

They did replace the ECM.................I had the OEM unit secretly marked.........................this solved it until recently.................when it's gotten stupid HOT and HUMID here.  Same outside conditions last year when this became unbearable.  I dunno;  and I don't have the expertise, patience, or time to FART around with this.................as MightyWhitey was my only vehicle.

The weather conditions make me think that's the common problem.............but I'll never know now.