• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Lately, the idea of taking some of my work to a local shop to ensure it gets done better than i could has been biting me in the rear. 

First it was a shop that couldn't do my alignment because they said they couldn't adjust my sleeve.

Today i take my brake rotors in to get turned. Let alone they are one of only few shops around that even turn rotors anymore! So i tale them in and come back in 45 min as they told me an hour to do the job. 

I wait out in the car and the guy comes out and tells me the rotors are too big. He wasted 90 min of my time before bothering to come out and tell me he couldn't do it. He said he's never had this problem before and that the rotors were like an 1/8" inch too big. I was MAD!

I'm so fed up with people and their lack of effort. I feel like stupid is out  breeding smart!

Anyone have suggestions? 50$ a rotor from oh really but these rotors are good and never been turned. I was also told people just replace things now, not re work things...

Get used to it.....  Today people seemingly dont want to work, dont care to learn any valuable trades, aren't being taught anything in school worthy of life tools.....and all the skilled people will be retiring.

Soon there will be no one left working at any place of business who haven't learned everything they know via an on the job two day DVD video training session.  No matter though because not long after their probation period they'll just trip and fall while at work and then simply collect SS for years to come as they sit around smoking medicinal pot.

In point.....start learning how to work on your own truck because there isn't too many out there who'll know more that you will. :ahhh:

• Like 4

Im doing just that. Last incident, i did the alignment myself. I set the toe by strapping 2x4s to my tires and taking front and back measurements. Set the toe in a 1/16" and she drives like a dream. I can literally go down the road without even veering one way or another unless i have ruts or crown. 

Turning my rotors i imagine can only be done with a lathe, which i don't have nor can afford at the moment. 

• Staff
1 hour ago, hex0rz said:

I'm so fed up with people and their lack of effort. I feel like stupid is out  breeding smart!

You're not alone in this observation.  Critical thinking and problem solving is not being taught.  Going that little bit extra in customer service is almost unheard of.   I deal with these problems almost daily weather I'm ordering parts, having a cylinder head redone, or doing business at the bank.  I'm sure we all could tell story after story of poor service and/or workmanship we've been experiencing.  It's sad to say it's only going to get worse with the new generation being past from grade to grade without learning anything, lacking face to face communication skills, and their all winners because their feelings can't get hurt.  I've seen the blank stare of the store associate and it's frightening.  And NO I don't want fries with that oil filter or have it super sized.    

ThreeStooges-Thanksgiving[1].jpg

you can't fix stupid                 

• Like 3

• Staff

These millenials, I won't say all, but they are messed up. Two passed me yesterday mad as hell because I was 5 over. passed in such a horribly mad way on double yellow lines.  Another lady in a brand new Ford truck didn't bother to find a place to pull off the road. Both truck doors wide open tailgate down changing her babies diapers right in the middle of the road.

Two times going out the store a millennial cuts in front of me at the door walks out and lets the door go so it would have hit me if I wasn't watching. These people vote unfortunately.

• Like 2

• Staff
5 hours ago, JAG1 said:

These millenials, I won't say all, but they are messed up. Two passed me yesterday mad as hell because I was 5 over.

Remember,  their time is more important then your time. If they inconvenience you to bad so long as they get theirs. 

5 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Both truck doors wide open tailgate down changing her babies diapers right in the middle of the road.

See above.  I'll bet that diaper was toss on the side of the road.

1 hour ago, Wild and Free said:

As far as grinding or cutting drums and rotors they are so cheap anymore that the labor cost of doing this is not feasible anymore, 

$25-30 to have 2 rotors turned plus my time and cost to bring them to the machine shop.  I can have 2 new rotors delivered free from my supplier for less than $70. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, hex0rz said:

I wait out in the car and the guy comes out and tells me the rotors are too big. He wasted 90 min of my time before bothering to come out and tell me he couldn't do it. He said he's never had this problem before and that the rotors were like an 1/8" inch too big. I was MAD!

2 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

Remember,  their time is more important then your time. If they inconvenience you to bad so long as they get theirs. 

$25-30 to have 2 rotors turned plus my time and cost to bring them to the machine shop.  I can have 2 new rotors delivered free from my supplier for less than $70. 

The above two quotes are one of the biggest problems with the world we live in now and more so with this generation, we want everything to be instant service and if we have to wait its the end of the world. Gotta have it right now.

My mom used to have a plaque hanging in her kitchen as a kid I remember it well it stated

"I want it now, if I wanted it tomorrow I would have asked for it tomorrow."

If only we would have known how true those words from the early 70's would become main stream living now days.

Clint Eastwood puts it bluntly in a recent interview that can be read below.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/a46893/double-trouble-clint-and-scott-eastwood/

Interesting article here too.

http://www.infowars.com/scientists-humanity-faces-great-filter-as-early-species-in-universe/

Scientists: Humanity Faces ‘Great Filter’ As Early Species in Universe

• Like 1

Entitlement, safe spaces, I want I want I want. My generation is a bunch of lazy, dishonest, entitled turds.

I'm so tired of seeing the spoiled kids running around in mommy and daddy's vehicles, beating the crap out of them, and spending their parents money on weed.

It's rare to find someone in my generation who is actually willing to work hard to EARN money.

Personally, I've been very lucky and I know it. My parents have helped (did not pay for all) me get through a very expensive college, BUT I pay for my transportation (fuel, insurance, repairs, etc.), food, part of my apartment rent, and part of my tuition costs. I've paid for it in multiple ways. I used to farm over the summers, but droughts in the area halted that for a couple years. Instead of sitting on my @$$ I got a job sweeping parking lots, painting buildings, and digging ditches for a chain of gas stations. I was just glad to be earning money! I saw kids from school that would come by and say "I would never do that!" well work is work and money is money. I refuse to live off of my parents hard work. The last couple years I've had internships that pay very well, and it makes me appreciate the harder work I've done before. Heck I'm still farming after my job almost every day. It doesn't pay as well as sitting behind a desk, but honestly I really enjoy farming.

Hopefully my generation will wake up and raise their kids properly.... doubtful, but we can dream right?

• Like 4

Wow, this thread exploded, lol. I guess i should have made this in the general conversation forum. 

I HAD to buy two new hub assembles yesterday and i had no choice but to put the old rotors back on. I see doing this again in my future. I almost couldn't get the lug studs seated. Out of all the methods i used,  it was the bfh and punch that got me through it. 

With between work and foxing the trick the past couple days, I've been putting in about 14 hours. Tired is beginning to take on a new meaning. 

And just to comment on the off topic portion of this thread, im trying my hardest to become a full-time beekeeper. One of the hardest agricultural occupations to have. But i guess I'm crazy, because the bees have me addicted to them and i just seem to find no other kind of peace that they give me when I'm working hard and sweating because of them. ...my passion!

Firefighting is a close second too...

• Like 1

On topic..... as you mentioned that we're seemingly in a throw away society, just know that brand new rotors are not always of the quality they should be and can often be out of true.  So dont be too upset about using the old rotors.  I never replace my rotors or have them turned unless I absolutely have to.  I think its a myth that you cant put new pads on an existing rotor.  Just burn the pads in properly and you shouldnt have any problems.

And yes, bee's are a lot of work.  I know people that have them and its crazy what they have to deal with.

• Like 1

Myself personally would never mess with worn rotors in an automotive application and drums only if the price for new was outrageous. Rotors once turned or ground have lost that much in thickness and are more prone to warping and the extra stroke on the brake caliper pistons is not worth the chance to me.

Here in ND we are the #1 honey producing state in the nation and there are hives along the roadways all over the place. Can't go more than about 10 miles in any direction without seeing more hives.

3 hours ago, KATOOM said:

On topic..... as you mentioned that we're seemingly in a throw away society, just know that brand new rotors are not always of the quality they should be and can often be out of true.  So dont be too upset about using the old rotors.  I never replace my rotors or have them turned unless I absolutely have to.  I think its a myth that you cant put new pads on an existing rotor.  Just burn the pads in properly and you shouldnt have any problems.

And yes, bee's are a lot of work.  I know people that have them and its crazy what they have to deal with.

Im trying to salvage my rotors. I found a machine shop that'll do them but i need to take them in to see what he'll charge etc. 

I've always learned that if you turn rotors, you do new pads. 

1 hour ago, Wild and Free said:

Myself personally would never mess with worn rotors in an automotive application and drums only if the price for new was outrageous. Rotors once turned or ground have lost that much in thickness and are more prone to warping and the extra stroke on the brake caliper pistons is not worth the chance to me.

Here in ND we are the #1 honey producing state in the nation and there are hives along the roadways all over the place. Can't go more than about 10 miles in any direction without seeing more hives.

That's why specifications exist. If they go outside of those, unusable, then replace.

15 hours ago, JAG1 said:

These millenials, I won't say all, but they are messed up. Two passed me yesterday mad as hell because I was 5 over. passed in such a horribly mad way on double yellow lines.  Another lady in a brand new Ford truck didn't bother to find a place to pull off the road. Both truck doors wide open tailgate down changing her babies diapers right in the middle of the road.

Two times going out the store a millennial cuts in front of me at the door walks out and lets the door go so it would have hit me if I wasn't watching. These people vote unfortunately.

Unfortunately votes don't count anymore and haven't for a while and presidents are selected and not elected. 

• Staff

So if you have warped rotors with a lot of thickness left on them, couldn't you just put on some metallic pads and after awhile they won't be warped anymore??:think::lol3:

Edited by JAG1

2 hours ago, hex0rz said:

Im trying to salvage my rotors. I found a machine shop that'll do them but i need to take them in to see what he'll charge etc. 

I've always learned that if you turn rotors, you do new pads. 

That's why specifications exist. If they go outside of those, unusable, then replace.

Yes do new pads, if you can find a good machine shop to do your rotors and within spec you will be fine. And that's two less rotors you have to throw away and two less rotors that have to come from China