• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

4th Gen. Alloy Wheel Refurbishment

So I picked up a set of fourth gen. wheels for my 98.5 and I'm looking for opinions as to what I can do to get these wheels looking like new.  I was initially going to powdercoat them but I did a 180 once I saw how they looked on the truck with a factory finish.  Luckily these wheels do not have any curb-rash, dings, nicks, etc. They did come off a 2011 model year truck that has seen it's Wisconsin winters.  All imperfections aren't even that bad but I really want them to look like new before I mount tires on them.

I am confused as to what the what the process is to giving alloy wheels the finish they have.  I am also confused as to where to take them to.  I have yet to call around since I'm busy with work.  If my wants for the wheels are possible to get resolved, then I will have a business(s) take care of it due to my work schedule.   

Could they be sandblasted and then polished? I have a good relationship with a collision center that I've done business with over the years?  Call them?  Again,  I do not know where to take them or what process(es) would need to be done to get them to like new condition.

Thanks Fellas

IMG_3601.jpg

• Staff

I think they are going to look good on there too.  I wouldn't know what to do either. Especially if some surfaces have a matt finish not high polish. Be careful some wheels have a clear coating on them. I wouldn't want to burn thru that type finish in some spots and other places still have the coating. Maybe call a wheel manufacturer??

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

I think they are going to look good on there too.  I wouldn't know what to do either. Especially if some surfaces have a matt finish not high polish. Be careful some wheels have a clear coating on them. I wouldn't want to burn thru that type finish in some spots and other places still have the coating. Maybe call a wheel manufacturer??

I may end up just powdercoating them in the end.  If it's going to be a lot of hoops to jump through and money spent it's just not going to be worth it in the long run.  But I'm going to make some calls tomorrow.  See what can be done.  What turned me off from powdercoating is getting the center caps to match the powdercoat.  I do not believe you can powdercoat plastic let alone blast it with any sort of media?...that is my big worry.  Local business was $60-70 per wheel if I recall...for blasting and powdercoating.  May end up being the best option.  I'll be sure to post pictures of the final result but it maybe a while. Cheers!         

I don't think those wheels have clear like the late 2nd gens. 

I cleaned mine up with simple green to get all of the scum off. 

I then did some scrubbing on them with "Mother's Hot Chrome" Found at wal-mart or most auto parts stores. It makes em shine like new once you rinse them off!

• Like 2

Thank you for all the advice....I'll be using it to spiffy up my factory 16's.  I ended up powdercoating the wheels with a semi-gloss black.  So here we sit...they did an excellent job.  I'll post a photo on Monday once they're back on the truck.  

I bought a set of used center caps from a 3rd gen. that I plan on painting to match the wheel.  I got the set of four chrome caps from the sale with the wheels but unfortunately the one posted in the photo below is the only one in good shape.    

Just a note:  When it comes to these center caps used on the late model wheels there are a total of four different center caps that were used by Dodge. Chome or silver finish and two different backing material styles for them to mount onto the lugnuts.

49585217013__C0EDB22D-997D-4680-84DB-A840D5C4D050.JPG

Edited by sooxies
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, leathermaneod said:

I would be half tempted to leave the caps chrome....kinda looks cool against the black wheels.... your truck is beautiful btw! Wish mine was that clean...

Thank You friend.  In the end I'll have two sets of caps...one chrome and one painted.  It's a shame they're about $80 a piece to replace from Mopar and I just cant justify buying some knockoffs....I want the Ram logo and I feel the quality will not be the same as OEM.  Keeping a sharp eye out on eBay and craigslist for a used set....I really like the chrome well.          

• Staff
36 minutes ago, leathermaneod said:

I would be half tempted to leave the caps chrome....kinda looks cool against the black wheels.... your truck is beautiful btw! Wish mine was that clean...

I agree with leathermaneod, the chrome looks good with black wheels and that is one clean truck! 

animated-smileys-vehicles-004[1].gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Wheels look good with chrome I say that you should go to wrecking year and hunt for a set of center caps. You might get lucky.

Our local joint is a good place....it's a "you pull" but they never ever have any late model automobiles.  Heck, there's not even a lot of second gen's there come to think of it.  To find anything newer then a 2008/2009 model year of anything is rare.  I can give them a call and maybe they have some sort of network.  I know the part number.  It's not huge rush.