• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

59 minutes ago, KATOOM said:

Just thinking more along the lines of notlimah transmission.

35/40 hybrid turbo and no sticks with smarty and level 1 built auto.

all I can say is if it's an automatic with over 100k and you want to tow and have power get a transmission first.  

Mine was bought after I blew my stocker and I needed the truck but didn't have money for the transmission I wanted because I put it elsewhere in the truck and now 50k miles later that 2500 dollar transmission worries me....  BTW I have 305k on the truck I'm on my third transmission and can't even utilize all my power because the transmission won't hold, you can feel it slip on the last 2 levels.....  you are on the right path, plan a good foundation and build off of it.:thumb1:

4 hours ago, TFaoro said:

How strong is your transmission?

These mods won't me made until I do a manual swap or drop the truck off at Dynamic for a few days for him to work his magic. I still can't make up my mind on which way to go, but I'm leaning more towards the swap! But, I've been around here long enough to know about the weak link that is... dunh dunh dunh... the stock auto -_-

• Like 1

• Owner

Like I've got my little 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 46RE that tows a 7,000 pound trailer without a thought either with a 46RE transmission. Quite impressive to see the little truck tugging a fully loaded trailer full of firewood down the highway.

DSCF3817.JPG

So you don't have to swap if you don't want to. Just you have to consider upgrading the guts a bit. As for @Dynamic you don't have to go for a full rebuild you could pull the torque converter and valve body and swap new updated ones in. You could mail your valve body to @Dynamic he'll modify your valve body and mail it back. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Yea I know I don't have to swap, but the idea of having the truck a manual is hard to suppress! That's what I was originally looking for, but the wife said she would want to be able to drive it, but now she doesn't want to :doh:, and plus, 02 5/6spd trucks around here were like 5-8 grand more then autos.

I might have to give Dynamic a call again and discuss what my plans for the truck are and see what he thinks.

Much as I love my manual, sometimes I think a built auto would be really fun :-) don't forget manuals have their problems too. I think I'd agree with @KATOOM in this case and say it would be better to stay auto and just get it built up....a swap is a lot of work and a huge expense. Then there's always the chance that it won't work out and you will have some issues that are a pain to get worked out. If you just get your auto built, it's a simple R&R....just my $.02

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Royal Squire said:

My son had a 96 manual dually and he took on all comers. Of course  he went through a lot of tires and if I remember correctly 4 clutches and transmissions!! A lot of fun until you gotta write the checks. 

Lol for sure! Hopefully he at least came out ahead a few times haha

17 minutes ago, Royal Squire said:

My son had a 96 manual dually and he took on all comers. Of course  he went through a lot of tires and if I remember correctly 4 clutches and transmissions!! A lot of fun until you gotta write the checks. 

Lol for sure! Hopefully he at least came out ahead a few times haha

All good points fellas! That's what's awesome about this place, a thread starts on injectors and ends up morphing into a auto/manual talk! haha

I'm going to revisit the built auto talks with Dynamic. If I remember right, I think his stage 2 build good to hold 450hp is 3,270. Pretty tempting when a full nv4500 swap is right around that same price if not more!

7 hours ago, leathermaneod said:

Much as I love my manual, sometimes I think a built auto would be really fun :-) don't forget manuals have their problems too. I think I'd agree with @KATOOM in this case and say it would be better to stay auto and just get it built up....a swap is a lot of work and a huge expense. Then there's always the chance that it won't work out and you will have some issues that are a pain to get worked out. If you just get your auto built, it's a simple R&R....just my $.02

Basing this off personnel experience or.....sure its not plug/play but not hard.  Time involved, well that's a given but how much is your happiness worth?  Mine was worth the labor/cost of the conversion, to have a truck thats actually worth driving vs. an indecisive transmission.

2 hours ago, notlimah said:

All good points fellas! That's what's awesome about this place, a thread starts on injectors and ends up morphing into a auto/manual talk! haha

I'm going to revisit the built auto talks with Dynamic. If I remember right, I think his stage 2 build good to hold 450hp is 3,270. Pretty tempting when a full nv4500 swap is right around that same price if not more!

Do not let cost be a decider, the decider is what you want your truck to be stay auto or manual.  I hated my auto 75% percent of the time, so it was easy when mine decided to spill its guts slowly over the roadway.  However cost vs. cost, its comparing two different animals.

Info to fuel the fire, my swap was +/- 4,000 when you factor in the misc items I have yet to do (driveshaft shorten & manual tune).  My buddies auto build (same time as my swap) was +/- 6,000, however he loves his built auto & i love my manual. :cheers: