• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Front Hubs

I have some slop in one of my front hubs. I see hubs from Detroit axle for $125 a pair vs $260(ea)+ from a parts store. 

Any my suggestion or experience some with a brand to go with?

Moog

Timken

Precision

Edited by 903Dodge

That is kind of a loaded question. There are a whole lot more sellers than manufacturers. I replace my first ones about 170k miles ago with one from one of the parts stores for around $425 and the next went 3 days later and got one from NAPA for about $325. I have no idea who made them, the bearings themselves were unmarked. By that I mean no COO or manufacturers mark on them. i googled DA and it seems even they say their bearings are made in China as I am sure slot of the other brands are also.

I just replaced my front u joints. While in there I decide to replace the wheel bearing since I had a pair. Bought them from a member here right after I joined for $150 for the pair. He had sold his truck and had them laying around. Anyway there was not a mark on them as far manufacturer or COO as were the first set. We will see if these hold up.

All that being said I cant really answer your question. If the bearings are unmarked I dont know how you can tell exactly what you are getting no matter what brand name is on the box. Hopefully someone else will have more insight. I would say how ever that a pair for $125 sounds to good to be true but you never know.

• Like 1

I drilled and tapped my hubs for grease zerks and greased them last year, and the only side effect was I lost my abs after about a month, I think too much grease got tone rings dirty. I did pull abs sensors out once to use a vacuum and try sucking out excess grease, it did work for about a week and then the light came back on. And in process I broke one of the sensors, so now light stays on, thinking about replacing sensors now. I know some guys just grease them from sensor holes but I was afraid to break them in the beginning but broke them later anyway. Another good thing in my mind of tapping hubs is, you can pull sensors out and start pumping fresh grease in a zerk and all of the old stuff can come out of sensor hole, just rotate hub in each direction as you're pumping grease in there(it also may help getting old sensors out by pressure from grease). Plus by pulling out sensors when greasing less chance of blowing out seals. But I think somehow after filling them with grease you'd still have to get about 20-30% out for some room when they get hot. Maybe with a vacuum cleaner :2cents: 

• 1 year later...
On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 6:51 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

At least for me doesn't matter being there is over 5 years and nearly 150k miles on the NAPA bearings.

Okay, I hope this post is still active and I'm really asking all of you that commented about the bearings and hubs. If I sound like an idiot it's ok, for one it's been 25 years or longer since I messed with packing wheel bearings and now a days to my surprise they are sealed bearings. Is it too difficult to remove or press the old bearings out of the hub? Is it better to buy new hubs and bearings ready to go on? This is something I need to look at on my truck, I think one of my bearing is making noise but it's difficult to hear even with hearing aids in. I have 250K on the clock and I doubt if they have been changed looking at everything else but I'm guessing. How do you put a grease fitting on a sealed bearing or did I miss the boat on what's going on? 

@Greenlee if you read my post it is possible to prolong the life of them if you catch them on time. if they are loose or making noise it's too late and you should replace both. There are some people that pressed old ones up part and repacked them, I got a set for $20 from craigslist just to try that, but my 20 ton press did not do it, been soaking them in oil now to see if it helps. It's been few years since I greased my bearings and now that I got most of tone wheel clean the light seems to stay off, I think being cold out helps as grease stays solidified, in summer time light comes on more often. I heard some that greased their bearings every 50k now have over 500k on them and still going strong, that's why I decided to grease mine.