• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Two stroke oil

I've been on the fence about using 2 stroke oil...Until today.    I like to fill up on fuel when gauge is around 1/2. 

Questions...

1.   Is your formula 1 oz per 1 gallon?

2.  When filling your tank around 1/2 do you pour in 15 oz all at once or ....???

What is your method. 

Thanks

Edited by 015point9

For your first tank (if you've never used 2 stroke before) put in 32oz, then fill the truck completely full. The next time you fill up, just add as many oz of 2 stroke as you put in. 

ex. You've used 2 stroke before: Fill the truck full and take note of the # of gallons. Once it's full, add the 2 stroke. Pour in as many oz of 2 stroke as you put in gallons of fuel. 

3 hours ago, TFaoro said:

For your first tank (if you've never used 2 stroke before) put in 32oz, then fill the truck completely full. The next time you fill up, just add as many oz of 2 stroke as you put in. 

ex. You've used 2 stroke before: Fill the truck full and take note of the # of gallons. Once it's full, add the 2 stroke. Pour in as many oz of 2 stroke as you put in gallons of fuel. 

Thanks

Couple questions...

1.  Ever had any problems with 2 stroke oil not getting mixed enough the first 5 or 10 miles  and feels like misfire or a miss type thing?

2. If your state has a smog test...no problem or discontinue use couple tanks before test?

51 minutes ago, 015point9 said:

Thanks

Couple questions...

1.  Ever had any problems with 2 stroke oil not getting mixed enough the first 5 or 10 miles  and feels like misfire or a miss type thing?

2. If your state has a smog test...no problem or discontinue use couple tanks before test?

#1 no, never.

#2. @Me78569 might be able to help with that. I don't have emissions where my truck is registered, so I'm no help. 

• Owner

#1 - Never. Always mixes with diesel very well.

#2 - I would say the same thing ask Nick. From what I understand all emission testing is looking at smoke opacity. So if you have the right ratio it should not be a problem. You should have the truck at full temperature and ready go when you go to have it tested. 

I have never noticed anything out the tailpipe with 2 stroke. The only smoke I get is from the Comp. I usually put the 2 stroke in before filling. I have gotten very used to my gauge over the years and am usually pretty close to the 1 oz to the gallon. A gallon or two over or under does not worry me and notice no difference either way. 

• Staff
10 hours ago, 015point9 said:

I add 2 stroke oil every time I put fuel in the tank, sometimes a little more or less than 1 oz /gal.  I haven't experienced any detrimental effects from using it as an additive. 

As for smog testing,  the truck has been tested 3 times in the past 7 years and passes the snap acceleration test procedure with no reduction in the ratio of 2 stroke oil.

I keep a couple quart bottles in the bed of the truck in a small bucket and add about a quart of 2-stroke per fill up.  And my fill ups are only about 20-25 gallons.  I dont think there's a big science behind it as long as there's enough in there to do something.  Truck hardly makes any smoke either and has passed the exhaust portion of the smog test visual every time. :thumbup2:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna ask this question here as it somewhat fits...

I'm looking to start using opti-lube summer blend this next tank, I'm sure I won't be able to get all of the old 2-stroke out of the tank. Are there any ill effects of having both of those in the tank at the same time?

Thanks IBM, I really couldn't think of any logical reason why it would cause an issues, just wanted some other opinions! I didn't put any 2 stroke in this last tank but I filled up at half a tank. Now I'm back at half a tank and going to wait until I'm at a 1/4 tank to fill up, then probably start running the opti-lube.