• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Recently I became the owner of a 26' gooseneck flatbed trailer. Its awesome having such a piece of equipment. I can haul multiple pallets of pellets home from the store at once, haul the tractor around for side jobs etc. The heaviest load I have towed is 4 tons of pellets for our pellet stoves in our home. 8K pounds plus my truck that weighs 7100 plus the trailer I'm guessing is around 2,500 or so. Just rounding up to 18K pounds...my truck did "OK" up the grades. Steepest grade to pull going home was 5% for 2 miles. Started out at         65mph at the bottom and was barely doing 35 at the top. If I go with twin turbos it would purely and solely be for the added power for towing, I tow barely enough to notice the need for twins. 

The main point of this post is to determine whether or not I actually should get twins. Is it worth it? Will I loose my longevity? Pros & Cons?

What I don't want to have to do:

*Replace the head gasket with some special one

*get crazy stiff valve springs

*change the tappets

*aftermarket intercooler

*Go over 600 horse

What I'm willing to do:

*go up to 150 HP injectors

*Install ARP 425s

*Install mildly stiff valve springs

*spend the $$$ needed to PROPERLY get my truck compound turbos. 

*Use my HX 35 as the small turbo

Thanks for reading and I'll check back in a couple days for replies. 

Edited by crf450ish

10 minutes ago, crf450ish said:

Recently I became the owner of a 26' gooseneck flatbed trailer. Its awesome having such a piece of equipment. I can haul multiple pallets of pellets home from the store at once, haul the tractor around for side jobs etc. The heaviest load I have towed is 4 tons of pellets for our pellet stoves in our home. 8K pounds plus my truck that weighs 7100 plus the trailer I'm guessing is around 2,500 or so. Just rounding up to 18K pounds...my truck did "OK" up the grades. Steepest grade to pull going home was 5% for 2 miles. Started out at         65mph at the bottom and was barely doing 35 at the top. If I go with twin turbos it would purely and solely be for the added power for towing, I tow barely enough to notice the need for twins. 

The main point of this post is to determine whether or not I actually should get twins. Is it worth it? Will I loose my longevity? Pros & Cons?

What I don't want to have to do:

*Replace the head gasket with some special one

*get crazy stiff valve springs

*change the tappets

*aftermarket intercooler

*Go over 600 horse

What I'm willing to do:

*go up to 150 HP injectors

*Install ARP 425s

*Install mildly stiff valve springs

*spend the $$$ needed to PROPERLY get my truck compound turbos. 

*Use my HX 35 as the small turbo

Thanks for reading and I'll check back in a couple days for replies. 

Do you know how much power your stage 3 trans will hold? That would be really good to know. 

Mind throwing up a pic of the trailer? I bet it weighs more than 3,500!

Anyway, a cheaper route would be something like a single 62 that you could tow around 375hp with and not have to worry about egts. If you feel you need more than that though, twins is probably a better option. 

Now, whether or not you NEED twins... that answer is probably no. You could run a single that will likely do everything you need. Twins are really fun though...

Longevity should not be an issue with the power levels you're looking at. More power adds up to more wear, but it's not like you're going to wear the cylinders out in 50K miles. 

Pros are tons of air and not having to worry about egts when you have it matted. My "500hp" tune won't go over 1200 on the egts when I hold it to the floor. That's pretty nice!

Cons well you have 2 turbos. You can always run into little issues like the drain lines leaking, supply lines leaking, gaskets going bad etc. That's the same as a single though, just twice the chance of it happening. 

As for your list: No special HG needed. You don't need crazy stiff springs. You don't have to touch the tappets. Intercooler should be fine under 60psi. You'll never make 600hp with "150's" so no worries there. 

The other list: Yes you will need some larger injectors, but 150's should be fine especially with the edge. 

Definitely going to need a set of studs. 

You will need aftermarket springs, but I would recommend the ones I got from DAP. They're 104# high lift springs (made to not bind)

The hx35 would be fine for the secondary turbo, you just have to buy a kit made to use that turbo. You could pair it with a 72 or a 75. The tricky part is selecting which size exhaust wheel and exhaust housing will benefit you the most. 

Last, don't wait a couple days to check back! You have to stay engaged to keep these threads alive! :thumbup2: 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

Do you know how much power your stage 3 trans will hold? That would be really good to know. 

Mind throwing up a pic of the trailer? I bet it weighs more than 3,500!

Anyway, a cheaper route would be something like a single 62 that you could tow around 375hp with and not have to worry about egts. If you feel you need more than that though, twins is probably a better option. 

Now, whether or not you NEED twins... that answer is probably no. You could run a single that will likely do everything you need. Twins are really fun though...

Longevity should not be an issue with the power levels you're looking at. More power adds up to more wear, but it's not like you're going to wear the cylinders out in 50K miles. 

Pros are tons of air and not having to worry about egts when you have it matted. My "500hp" tune won't go over 1200 on the egts when I hold it to the floor. That's pretty nice!

Cons well you have 2 turbos. You can always run into little issues like the drain lines leaking, supply lines leaking, gaskets going bad etc. That's the same as a single though, just twice the chance of it happening. 

As for your list: No special HG needed. You don't need crazy stiff springs. You don't have to touch the tappets. Intercooler should be fine under 60psi. You'll never make 600hp with "150's" so no worries there. 

The other list: Yes you will need some larger injectors, but 150's should be fine especially with the edge. 

Definitely going to need a set of studs. 

You will need aftermarket springs, but I would recommend the ones I got from DAP. They're 104# high lift springs (made to not bind)

The hx35 would be fine for the secondary turbo, you just have to buy a kit made to use that turbo. You could pair it with a 72 or a 75. The tricky part is selecting which size exhaust wheel and exhaust housing will benefit you the most. 

Last, don't wait a couple days to check back! You have to stay engaged to keep these threads alive! :thumbup2: 

Thanks very much for your reply. I like the idea of staying with a single. In my experience, the more moving parts, the more problems (or at least chance for them). Would I still have to get 104# springs if I went with a single? The studs are a no brainer in my mind, have to have them for anything over 30# if you ask me. 

4 minutes ago, crf450ish said:

Thanks very much for your reply. I like the idea of staying with a single. In my experience, the more moving parts, the more problems (or at least chance for them). Would I still have to get 104# springs if I went with a single? The studs are a no brainer in my mind, have to have them for anything over 30# if you ask me. 

Yes and no.... I'm always playing with parts on my twins, but my brother has only replaced 1 O ring in the 2 years he's had twins. 

If you keep boost below 50 the springs should be fine. Anything more and I would put a set of springs in. 

Studs aren't completely necessary..... I ran without them for over a year at 500hp with no issues. @CSM has gone without them for a while I think and has had no issues. Peace of mind is nice though!

On my old 02 i ran 150 injectors an HRVP44 edge comp and an Industrial injection silver 62 turbo for several year with stock gasket and bolts and regularly sled pulled and drag raced on rare occassions. was @ 560 hp with an auto which had only a BD VB and a single disc BD converter that held my power for over 100k miles.

With your 4.10 gears I would go with a 62mm turbo as well along with 100 hp injectors and you would be one happy fellow.

But even just upgrading a little bit like going from the HY35 to an upgraded hybrid HX35 or a super B turbo would make you really happy with smaller injectors like 75 -90 hp max.

Click on the link in my signature to see it in action. Sold it @ 155K and the head had never been off and the trans had never been rebuilt. was going strong yet after years of fun and abuse.

Edited by Wild and Free
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Wild and Free said:

On my old 02 i ran 150 injectors an HRVP44 edge comp and an Industrial injection silver 62 turbo for several year with stock gasket and bolts and regularly sled pulled and drag raced on rare occassions. was @ 560 hp with an auto which had only a BD VB and a single disc BD converter that held my power for over 100k miles.

With your 4.10 gears I would go with a 62mm turbo as well along with 100 hp injectors and you would be one happy fellow.

But even just upgrading a little bit like going from the HY35 to an upgraded hybrid HX35 or a super B turbo would make you really happy with smaller injectors like 75 -90 hp max.

Click on the link in my signature to see it in action. Sold it @ 155K and the head had never been off and the trans had never been rebuilt. was going strong yet after years of fun and abuse.

Do not go super b had one and they are very lazy I'd get a 62 68 12 sxe and run that with 100s or 150s with quad and it should be a really happy tow pig 

17 hours ago, Silverdodge said:

Do not go super b had one and they are very lazy I'd get a 62 68 12 sxe and run that with 100s or 150s with quad and it should be a really happy tow pig 

With his 4.10 gears it should be very happy and not as lazy as it would be with 3.54 gears.

14 hours ago, TFaoro said:

I would think 4.10s would make it spool slower....

3 hours ago, CSM said:

Yeah, but that power is going to come into play at a lower vehicle speed and tow like a champ.  

Having run both the BD super B with 90 hp injectors and edge comp and then running an II Silver 62 with 155 hp injectors and an HRVP44 with hot unlocked comp with an auto and 3.54 gears if I shifted it manually to keep the rpms up a bit higher as would be the case running lower gears then the power would come on a ton sooner versus running it in automatic it would dog and spool a lot slower and smoke a lot more if the rpms were not as high to start with.

20 hours ago, notlimah said:

Just to point out, if I remember correctly, Jon's stage 3 is good to 550-600hp.

@crf450ish I wish I could ride in your truck to see how the trans feels!

That is the # Jon gives me.  He just built one for my '02 a couple days ago.  BTW, for Mike there are NO fingerprints to be found on the tranny case or any part thereof.  =)   =)  Just thought you would wanna know.  LOL

11 hours ago, Russ Roth said:

That is the # Jon gives me.  He just built one for my '02 a couple days ago.  BTW, for Mike there are NO fingerprints to be found on the tranny case or any part thereof.  =)   =)  Just thought you would wanna know.  LOL

Man I'm pretty jealous! How's the truck drive now compared to your last setup?!

7 hours ago, xxTJRocksxx said:

Go my Twins Installed!!!!!, Worst part of the project was getting the T3 housing loose, had to fabricate a bracket for the wastegate to relocate but the kit is legit and very high quality. I put a quick rattle can paint job on my HX35 housing to match lol.

File_000 (2).jpeg

File_001 (2).jpeg

File_002 (1).jpeg

Interesting setup.... do they use any sort of support bracket for the primary turbo, or does it just hang off of the HX?

I would really like to see some sort of intake tube, rather than pulling the hot air off the side of the motor. I bet one could be fabricated pretty easily.

And please tell me that's not a K&N filter on there......

EDIT: Be careful with having stock head bolts and springs!!!

Edited by TFaoro