• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

The crf450ish random question thread.

2 hours ago, Dynamic said:

I can tell you that my 6.4 Ford, with just tuning and deletes, has more power than pretty much any Dodge I've driven (and I've driven a LOT of them).

I know this is a Dodge forum (hey...I still own two Dodges), but I don't miss my Cummins very much when I'm towing! :poke:

Blasphemy!! :cry:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Might be differences in ECM programming from 1999 to 2002 like on my truck if I disconnect the grid heater line it does trip the CEL

Seeing that @notlimah 2002 does not give a CEL either, I wonder if it has to do with the IAT fooler or other electronic gizmos that you have installed? I have none of that stuff.

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

I'm going to have to try it on mine here pretty soon and see what happens, planing on just disconnect ground for relays and if it works I'll put it on toggle switch, just wondering if one switch is sufficient for both relays 

I have 1 switch for both. I personally want them either both on for starting aid or both off for alternator longevity. This AM was 30 deg. and I did not use them at all. A little smoke and rattle for a few seconds but hey, what Al Gore does not see won't hurt us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dynamic said:

I can tell you that my 6.4 Ford, with just tuning and deletes, has more power than pretty much any Dodge I've driven (and I've driven a LOT of them).

I know this is a Dodge forum (hey...I still own two Dodges), but I don't miss my Cummins very much when I'm towing! :poke:

Damn brave soul you are!  :lol3:

4 minutes ago, notlimah said:

I have all Mikes high idle switch installed as well, but still no lights. Just to clarify, both relays don't work at the same time, they alternate between each side.

Correct. Pre heat and post heat

Edited by dave110

2 hours ago, dave110 said:

Seeing that @notlimah 2002 does not give a CEL either, I wonder if it has to do with the IAT fooler or other electronic gizmos that you have installed? I have none of that stuff.

My 02 does not trip the light or a code and I don't have a high idle switch. All I have is the Comp on mine at it is unplugged at the moment.

8 minutes ago, dripley said:

My 02 does not trip the light or a code and I don't have a high idle switch. All I have is the Comp on mine at it is unplugged at the moment.

But don't you just unplug it from the battery, I believe we're discussing putting in a toggle switch on the negative for relays, small wires that trigger them. Maybe not I don't know

Yeah, disconnecting from the battery will not give a code. That's not an option for me because I need the grids some mornings and I'm not about to disconnect, pop the hood, re-connect, start, disconnect, repeat, repeat, all winter. which is why I switched mine. Plugging in is not always an option here either.

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

But don't you just unplug it from the battery, I believe we're discussing putting in a toggle switch on the negative for relays, small wires that trigger them. Maybe not I don't know

Whats a good random question thread wthout good random answer?

10 minutes ago, dave110 said:

Yeah, disconnecting from the battery will not give a code. That's not an option for me because I need the grids some mornings and I'm not about to disconnect, pop the hood, re-connect, start, disconnect, repeat, repeat, all winter. which is why I switched mine. Plugging in is not always an option here either.

I agree, I don't use mine for now. Even at15* plugged in for 30 or 40 minutes gets me 50 or 60 degrees water temp for nice start up. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2018 at 8:13 AM, Dynamic said:

I bet you'll miss your cummins when you have to dig into that powerchoke to do any repairs or engine mods. Even injectors. :lol3:

If I could have the new 2018 SuperDuty with a 6.7 Cummins and a 68RFE tranny with DANA 80's I would be a very happy camper, much more so than I am now. You can't beat the new SuperDuty styling and interior, IMHO

Edited by crf450ish

23 hours ago, crf450ish said:

I bet you'll miss your cummins when you have to dig into that powerchoke to do any repairs or engine mods. Even injectors. :lol3:

If I could have the new 2018 SuperDuty with a 6.7 Cummins and a 68RFE tranny with DANA 80's I would be a very happy camper, much more so than I am now. You can't beat the new SuperDuty styling and interior, IMHO

Not likely... Besides, the stock injectors will make a ridiculous amount of power, so I'm good there. Gotta love the common rails...!

The Ford Super Duty is a very nice truck. I've owned 3 of them; a 7.3, a 6.0, and now a 6.4. They are very roomy, quiet, comfortable to drive, and very stable when towing heavy. And the power of this 6.4 never ceases to amaze me. This thing makes power at an exhaust temperature that my Cummins would have only dreamed about...

5 hours ago, Dynamic said:

Not likely... Besides, the stock injectors will make a ridiculous amount of power, so I'm good there. Gotta love the common rails...!

The Ford Super Duty is a very nice truck. I've owned 3 of them; a 7.3, a 6.0, and now a 6.4. They are very roomy, quiet, comfortable to drive, and very stable when towing heavy. And the power of this 6.4 never ceases to amaze me. This thing makes power at an exhaust temperature that my Cummins would have only dreamed about...

Does the 6.4 come stock with twins?

Edited by notlimah

Lots of boost means you can burn lots of fuel! This thing fuels hard and makes a ridiculous amount of power with the tuning I'm running, and I have NEVER been able to make it smoke even a little bit. The boost is nearly instant.

Yeah these newer electronic turbos are sure nice, I like Cummins for simplicity, longevity and accessibility for back yard mechanics. But with new technology constantly evolving it's no surprise we're falling farther back in time speaking of 2nd gens, and yet there are plenty of us that wouldn't trade it for anything. More than likely because we all broke and can't afford new every couple of years but manage to spend fortune on what we have, it's a vicious circle :ahhh: I think we can all agree that 2nd gens will be classic and in demand I don't think 3rd gens will make that list, 4th probably. 

I know few guys with 6.4 and they love them after all the mods of course, and still when they see my truck they say I was going to get one but couldn't find one in good shape for good price. Heck I almost got one myself. 

I'm gonna go ahead and go there.....my next diesel is going to be a duramax. Ive made my mind up. I test drove a brand spanking new shiny one today just for fun (the sales guy knew i wasn't buying). They are so nice inside. Ive got 3 kids....my wife like my 2nd ged but hates how "cramped" we all are in there. Plus the warranty is transferable so I can buy a certified pre owned one. I just don't like the interior of the new dodges. I think all brands have their ups and downs. I like my 2nd gen...would never own a 3rd gen, wanted a 4th gen etc etc etc. Its all up to personal preference in the end. 

Edited by crf450ish

I work with a couple guys, one who has a brand new duramax 2500 and the other brand new f350 dually. I’ve never owned a ford but man that thing looks real nice, and the interior is amazing. I think I’d go that route if I were gonna drop major coin on a truck.

46 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

If and when you do you are more than welcome to still hang around and post up tales of your Duramax... But at this time your still playing with a Cummins...

I catch your drift, haha. Ill never let go of my cummins!

• 1 year later...

Its been a while since I've done anything to my truck/been on & lurked on any forums. She's still going strong. I still maintain it as I love it as much as I always have. Life circumstances have changed the course of life for my family and I. We are selling the house we bought in 2015 in Fruitland, wa & have since relocated back to Puyallup (western wa ;( I switched careers because of a personal injury. I have not been able to do any of the "coming soon" items in my signature, but believe me, I still intend on doing them. Things are slowly getting better.  

A few concerns about some items on my truck.... in no particular order:

-Fass fuel lines are cracking. The 1/2" blue hoses that came with the system are showing their age. Has anyone replaced them with anything better? If not, I plan on having new ones made at a hose shop here in Tacoma. 

-Transfer case (NP241 DHD) seems a bit sloppy. I know those cases are among the best out there. Opinions?

-I want to replace the Fass 150 platinium pump with a Titanium pump....is FASS still one of the best in the business or have they been surpassed by another outfit?  

-One piece driveshaft? I remember asking about this once before. Can't remember if it was here or cumminsforum. I've read mixed opinions about them. I know @Mopar1970man has a similar opinion as mine, if its been designed by a team of engineers getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars, its a good bet to leave it alone. Which is precisely why I have. I know I just answered my own question, however i'm always open to opinions and suggestions. 

-Ball Joints. I know how to replace em'. Should I stick with OEM spicer or go with another brand? Ive replaced every single U joint (except the front axle U joints) with OEM spicer joints. Very happy. 

-Exhaust. I can't believe I'm actually bringing this up. When I put my 5" straight pipe on years ago, it was for one reason and one reason only...to keep the EGTs down while towing. I'd keep it on but since I live in Liberalville now, there are certain municipalities and cities & counties that have codes are ordinances against loud exhausts. So before i end up pulled over over something trivial as exhaust noise, I figure I'll be proactive and quiet it down. I was thinking just a diamond eye (I've had excellent luck with them) 4" turbo back with a muffler....