• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

The crf450ish random question thread.

On 2/5/2017 at 11:48 AM, CSM said:

My setup you can read in my sig, is a great all around setup.

Change your coolant every other year. 

Two questions:

1- How do you like your one piece driveshaft? Does it do anything weird when towing heavy at highway speeds?

2- What kind of coolant do YOU use? Just curious. Thanks. 

24 minutes ago, crf450ish said:

Two questions:

1- How do you like your one piece driveshaft? Does it do anything weird when towing heavy at highway speeds?

2- What kind of coolant do YOU use? Just curious. Thanks. 

No issues with the one piece.  Heavy or light.  Its a huge aluminum tube.  Steel wont work due to harmonics when its that long.  It isnt necessary, but it met my needs at the time.  I didnt have time or a place to fix the factory setup.

I use name brand prestone or similar.  I dont use the later model stuff.  I could be wrong on the interval, but there are rust inhibitors that get used up in coolant.  I havent had issues with cooling or changed a water pump in over 12 years.  My family still isnt on board and does the water pump every 6 years and a radiator&heater core every decade.

Eta, those links arent mine... some sort of ad.  Kinda annoying.

Edited by CSM
  • Like 1

Well I got the Smarty I rented from DAP. Flashed the ECM...and then stacked my edge and the Smarty....Smarty on #8(no timing-even #s) and edge on level 5   WOW!!!!  Such torque much wow lol.

I didn't get too spirited with the skinny pedal...don't want to ruin or break anything...just tested it out. 

Looking forward to doing the upgrades needed before I buy the S362 SXE & 7 x .010's. Thanks everyone for the info:thumbup2: I am going to be doing a single for now and add an S472 or S475 later.  Pretty much keeping this as a dedicated working truck for now. I see a nice pre owned & modded 4th gen mega cab in our future. Three growing kids and a quad cab 2nd gen gets cramped!

Will be hanging around and asking more random ?s    :thumb1:

I was told that if I dump my edge and get the quad.....my truck will behave like it did with the Smarty & edge stacked, Smarty on 8 Edge on 5. 

Is there any truth to this? Not that I doubt who told me this but I want some detailed evidence. I couldn't believe the throttle response...insane!!!!! 

@Me78569 I watched this video :

I did download the iQuad app... but its not doing what I want it to......first of all the gauges home screen is wonky- wont let me select gauges i want as is depicted at the start of the video above. Secondly the settings screen wont let me tick the settings on. Maybe i'm missing something lol. Does it have to actively be connected to the iQuad module for some settings to become accessible? Because right now if I click on settings, all but one of the options are opaque...why? The custom tuning screen is good to go though. 

I just want to learn how to use the iQuad app before I buy the Quadzilla Adrenaline. 

here are some pics of what I am talking about:

Settings opaque:

z3KB4El.png

Main screen wonked out...:

ELuBKhQ.png

you need to select a vehicle before the settings are enabled.  Go into the main menu, then vehicle selection, then any of the V2 vehicles.  

Your throttle response WILL NOT be the same as the edge / smarty stack.  You may have liked the Stack, but the reason why your throttle response was so good is because %100 of your fueling was put between 0 - %30 pedal movement.    It may feel "wow throttle response" but that is not actually accurate, nor do I believe it is a good thing.  All that does is make your throttle useless beyond %30, IE makes your throttle much more touchy and gives you less ablitly to control power..    

the Quad is tuned in a manner to support full throttle movement.  IE: if you want full throttle use %100 of throttle.  Not yelling it is just VERY important to understand that.  The Quad will not try and trick the butt dyno, rather it will give you a much wider use of the throttle compared to other tunes.  This gives you more control.

You can make the Quad very aggressive offidle, but I typically don't recommend that as it is hard on the truck to push a ton of power offidle. 

Edited by Me78569

To be honest....this is all really complicated. A million steps with everything....Ginormous seemingly never ending learning curve for me with this quad lol. I think I'll stick with my edge for now. I only have a mac for a computer etc. I want a quad but I don't wanna be married to it for it to work for me lol. I really appreciate everyones help. I think I need to actually physically see someones truck with a quad installed on it. I'm still just lost in some ways, and that is something I don't like. If its not cut and dried black or white, me no like. 

51 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

once you get your hands on it, it comes together, but I understand.  

FYI I haven't changed my Daily tuning is well over a month and the only reason I did that was for the new tuning variable for cruise state haha. 

1. So I need a PC to upload tunes to the actual quad box, tunes that I create on my phone via the iQuad app? Or does the iQuad app sync the tunes to the quad box in real time as soon as you connect it after tuning on iQuad app?

2. Can DAP flash a desired tune onto it for me before they ship? Say a tune I've seen here.....? 

The base tune needs to be flashed by a PC, ask quad to when they ship it,  but once that is done then the actual how it drives tune is done in real time from your device.  Those are the tunes you see here.  The base tune is what allows the new tuning to work, your settings for the base tune are the phone thing.

I have 4 tunes right now on my phone, what you see from the video.

Daily, %100 smoke free

Race much more off line power but does have some haze and a puff from wiretap

Tow more meat down low but tapers off up top to keep power low.

Stupid, it is what it should like.

• Like 1

That's good to know. I want the quad, dang it, but don't wanna be left not knowing what to do. How finicky is elevation in relation to tuning? My area is around the 2,000-3,500 feet neighborhood. 

And as as far as install goes? Any good write ups on that? I know it's self explanatory.... I've even installed EDJWA on 4 other trucks. But since this tuner is not fly by wire but rather WiFi.... is there a plug that plugs into the OBD2 port like the edge? Or does it connect directly to the ecm under the hood? 

Thanks again for all your patience whilst helping me.  I know I said I'd rather stick with my edge but that was just me whining ?  I actually want the quad quite badly now after reading @Mopar1973Man  Performance tune  and how he said he could almost light the tires up on dry pavement just rolling into the throttle.  No that's what I'm talking about baby ???! 

• Owner
8 minutes ago, crf450ish said:

And as as far as install goes? Any good write ups on that?

Comes with a full manual for installing the Quadzilla Adrenaline. All  the connections are under the hood except for one power wire that goes in the cab.

10 minutes ago, crf450ish said:

is there a plug that plugs into the OBD2 port like the edge?

No OBDII connection required for the Quadzilla Adrenaline. I've got my OBDLink in the OBDII port now. 

11 minutes ago, crf450ish said:

tually want the quad quite badly now after reading @Mopar1973Man  Performance tune  and how he said he could almost light the tires up on dry pavement just rolling into the throttle.

I'm going to tweak my tune some more and keep updating my MPG thread as I do. I've also found a few more bugs for @Me78569 to look at and possibly fix. 

As for tuning once you get it all hooked up we can all work together to help you get what your looking for. 

5 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Comes with a full manual for installing the Quadzilla Adrenaline. All  the connections are under the hood except for one power wire that goes in the cab.

No OBDII connection required for the Quadzilla Adrenaline. I've got my OBDLink in the OBDII port now. 

I'm going to tweak my tune some more and keep updating my MPG thread as I do. I've also found a few more bugs for @Me78569 to look at and possibly fix. 

As for tuning once you get it all hooked up we can all work together to help you get what your looking for. 

Sounds good. What's OBDlink?

All I did was randomly log into here several days ago and stumbled across my old thread inquiring about twins and what to do. The itch has suddenly grabbed me again. 

N E E D    M O R E    P O W E R :ahhh: