• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Going to look at this tonight

You have to be a trailer dealer that sells them. 

Thankfully I found a place out in peyton,  Next friday 2 pm.  It's not much closer, but at least it isn't up the pass.  

Funny the DMV would only give me a 10 day temp tag, which is not long enough to legally drive the trailer out to the place to get it appraised..... Oh well The montana perm plates are going back on it asap.

• 2 weeks later...

in a non suprising turn of events I got a rejection letter back from the state in regards to the title search......

"form out of date" 

They had updated the form that needs to be sent in between the time I went to the DMV and the time they recieved it...... FML  So I filled it out again and mailed it back off to the state.  

• Owner

OMG... That's ridiculous...

On 7/25/2017 at 11:55 AM, Me78569 said:

well I took it out camping this last weekend.  Truck was able to pull it fine up i-70 above 11000' altitude hold 65 mph which was nice.  I did have to gear down to 2nd locked at 45 to climb from silverthorn to eisenhower tunnel,  No big deal there.  

Managed to get 13 mpg heading up which is A-ok by me.. should be closer to 15-16 on flat ground.

stayed dry in the camper,  nice to have a full bed.    truck drove 10x better compared to having the camper in the bed. 

Capture.PNG

What weird cluster do you have?

15034996277871709693649.jpg

Well the story continues.  

I have FINALLY got step 2 done....ugh

So Step 2 is as follows

Capture.PNG

Great I need a DR2489A and a DR2539.... right, that's what it says?!?!?

Well I got this back for the DR2539

IMG_20170831_161959.jpg

So I called them up and asked them whats up....  they said "well you don't need 2539, I dont know why the DMV said you need it"  

My response was, " please look at the steps provided for this process on DR2922, step 2 says I need DR2489A and DR2539, that's why they say I need it"

She says

"Dont worry about it you dont need it" 

How I feel..

images.jpg

But the good news is I am almost done.  

I got a appraisal on the trailer, 4k, so now I just need surety bond for double the value and then I can apply for a title....

F-it I am taking it camping tonight hahahahaha

• Haha 1

Pop up camper was great in theory and bad in practice

1. truck was unstable in the mountain passes, where we spend %90 of our time

2. Very hard to get into due to the height, I could get stairs, but it was another thing to load

3. I don't have a good flat space store it so loading the camper was dangerous.  

4. not having the bed of the truck for firewood was a big issue.

5. floor space was limited in the camper. 

6. once you setup camper you cannot unhook and go into town

7. It didn't handle wind well. big issue in colorado.

The MPG is a little less in the mountains with the trailer, but on flat ground it doesn't seem to matter much.   We also killed 2 birds iwth 1 stone having a horse trailer.  I think I am gonna try and go to a friends house this month to move the wall back 1 stall so we can start getting shelves put in.  

The Bed camper was a bit more refined, but after camping with the trailer a few times, I don't really miss the amenities

• Owner

Kind of the same reasons why I ditched the Motorhome and Canopy Camping idea. 

Motorhome or truck canopy you couldn't just drive to the store for supplies you had to pack up everything before moving. Then with the travel trailer, I was able to load the bed with supplies or my ATV (camping toy). Firewood or anything else I wanted. Then with the trailer you can leave it set up and go venture off with the truck and bring back food or supplies without messing with the house. 

4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Kind the same deal with me camping under my canopy for years then switching to travel trailer like to have the room and comfort... Sure ain't getting any younger... I sure do like my comfort...

Welcome to my world.   =(  =(

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JAG1 said:

I'm thinking of selling my truck camper and going the 5th wheel idea. I understand they tow real well if not over 30 feet.

my first one was 28' and the current one is 35'. The only real difference I noticed between towing the two is the weight and when it is windy the 35 footer blows around a little more, but it is about 1.3' taller that the 28 footer. I would however like to downsize. Kind of tired of dragging that big sob around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

i love my 5th wheel, not sure i could ever go back to a bumper pull travel trailer. mine was sold as a 33', but measures 34.4

all told loaded with everthing we use to camp for a week, the UTV side by side, 120Gallon water and food, firewood, yada yada. i'm just under 13K. but had been over 14K once. it tows like a dream. winds don't bother it. lots of room for wife and 2 kids n a dog. and a 4 seater Can-Am Commander UTV. mpg's are nice too. usually around 10-12 pending how fast i go.

Side note, when cutting metal, most of the time it's faster and easier to use a sawzall.

• Like 2