• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Installed 19.5's on the Pimp Truck

Well I haven't posted here in a while, mostly because I was super busy and hadn't had time to play with the truck. But I did put some used 19.5's on it a couple of weeks ago, and I couldn't find many pictures of these on 2nd gens so I thought I post a couple here.

I have to say that I have vibration and the centramatics didn't help that at all. So I'm thinking either the tires are worn unevenly, or I have other issues I'm not aware of. Going to start working on that soon.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the photos. The top is the "before" with 4th gen 17" 235/80, and the bottom is "after" with the 245/70/19.5.

IMG_7490.JPG

IMG_7532.JPG

• Like 2

If it turns out to be a balance issue then you may have to add beads to the tires.  I don't recall how much out of balance the Centramatics will correct but beads will enhance the out of balance correction capabilities of the Centramatics

• Like 1

I went with the Vision wheels and I got them from Discount Tire.  I checked prices at Bruneel, Les Schwab, and the internet.  Internet was cheaper than these dealers.  Discount Tire doesn't do 19.5 truck tires or any other commercial truck tire but they do get involved with the specialty wheel market so they quoted me a price for the Vision wheels that ended up being $125 cheaper than the cheapest price I could find anywhere for 4 wheels (and their price was for 5 wheels) so I bought the wheels there.  With lug nuts and tax it was just at $900 and change.

Vision includes center caps with their wheels and you can get open or closed. you have to specify "open" if you want them.

I only use the 19.5's during the non winter months because I can get much better winter snow and Ice traction tires in 17" than you can get in the commericcial 19.5 market and I'm not carrying any heavy loads in the winter months.  So I just purchased steer tires for my 19.5's.  I ended up going with the Hankook AH11.

Bruneel gave me the best price for the tires of all the quotes I got from the local tire dealers.  I had them install the metal stems and they did the mounting and bead balance.  I also had them sipe all 5 tires to improve wet weather traction. 

There are a lot of steer tire manufacturers so your choice of options is fairly large.  Not as many choices in the traction tire option.

I run 245x19.5 size

When first installed the tires were a little squirrley on the grooved freeway but after a few thousand miles that behavior all went away.

The tires are very smooth rolling and I get my best mileage when I've got my 19.5's vs my 17's.  I think this is due to the stiffer sidewall which gives you significantly less rolling resistance compared to the 17's.  I have noticed no measureable loss of braking performance or acceleration performance due to the heavier mass of these tires.  My 19.5's are about 125lbs per tire while the 17's are about 84lbs per tire.  

Based on my experience  with these 19.5's, if I was found considering going to 19.5's again in the future, then I would choose to do it all again.

It's been a very good experience for me and how I use my truck.

Untitled - 3.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments about the balance beads guys. I'm going to look into it and maybe go that route. I can't deal with the vibration issues I'm having, but I love the wheels so much that I'm going to do everything I can to keep them.

I was a little nervous about putting them on and spending them money, but I'm so glad I did. And that's one of the reasons I wanted to post the pics is because I couldn't find many 2nd gens with them on, much less with the flatbed. We're having some weather down here, but when it's over I'm hoping to get some better pics so people can see what it looks like.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you guys had a quadzilla tune specifically for these rims/tires because I noticed a couple of things since I put them on. And I'm going to talk a little about the iquad stuff, so if anyone can help I'd really appreciate it.

The main thing I noticed is that my engine load went from around 33% with the 4th gens to about double 66% with these. And it seems like my shifting points are a bit different too. I used to shift around 1800-2200 with the other wheels, but now I'm shifting at 2400-2700 with these wheels on. And there's not much smoke at the beginning either. It used to give me a good puff of smoke, but now it's just a light haze.

Also, my mpg went to sh#t. Which was to be expected because I've mostly been driving in the city. But I'd like to compensate for that if I could.

So those are my main two issues. There are some other things I want to ask about the quad, but I don't want to mix up too many questions here. If anyone has any input, I'm always appreciative.

Also, here's a pic of the 235/80/17 vs the 245/70/19.5

IMG_7487.JPG

Edited by BigPimpin

Guessing you have 3.55 and not 4.10 most people put these on, have 4.10. No smoke is probably due to shifting later, more load is because of bigger circumference and rotating mass. Hate to say it but I don't think quad will help much. If more smoke on take off you can tune that out with v2 tuning. Cruising you can play with timing and canbus too and see if you can gain some mpg. :2cents:

If you got quad questions just go to https://mopar1973man.com/forum/174-quadzilla-power/ pick a topic an fire away. 

Since the 19.5's are a taller tire you need to reset your speedo/odometer calibration.  IF you haven't done that then your odometer and speedo will be off.  This alone would make the odometer record less miles than you are actually going, so your mpg calculations will be wrong.

As mentioned by Dieselfuture the taller tires will change your final drive ratio of your truck.  In this case if you have a 3.55 then the new final drive ratio would be like 3.40 or something similar.  This will increase the load on your engine.

Also,

I know nothing about how Dodge programmed the automatics (don't have one), but GM used "speed" as one variable to define shifting points and load calculations for setting the shift points and TC lockup and such.  Just upsizing a bit in the tires on the suburbasaurus  resulted in all kinds of troubles with transmission shift points, proper lockup and downshift. 

So my throttle positions and my "speed" no longer properly matched the equations for the calculations.  The computer could not properly compensate for input.  So the output was garbage.  Correcting the VSSB (in older GMs this is where the speed signal was compensated for tire size and rear axle ratio before being fed to the computer)  for the tire diameter change fixed a lot of evils.

HTH

Hag

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry, but I think shifting points was the wrong phrase for what I was trying to describe. I have a 5-speed. It just seems like my engine was ready to shift at a lower rpm than when I had the other wheels on. I used to shift between 2200-2500, but now it more like 1900-2200 with the bigger wheels on.

Just gave the whole thing a different feel.

I've also been playing with some of the custom tunes, but so far I haven't tried too many. Had a setback after the storm and smashed my windshield and dented the hood up a bit. I got the windshield replaced, but I haven't got a new hood yet even though it's really just cosmetic. 

Anyway, I hope everyone is doing all right with all the storms and fires out there.

Be safe.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • Owner
8 minutes ago, 01Cummins3500 said:

I am new to this forum and have been thinking about changing from 16x6 eagle alloy dually wheels to some American force 19.5s wanting to get some more info before I turn loose of that much $$$$ to get those and tires. 

Make sure you look at your gear ratio and final ratio because tire size does impact MPG and economy greatly.