• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

24v stalls when put in gear

750 idle is %100 normal.  That's where my truck idles 

you look at the trans again.   Something got messed up when they did the trans.  if they wont help then you are screwed and forced to do it yourself or take it someplace else. 

@Dynamic  any thoughts?

Edited by Me78569

Sounds like the stall is too low to me. Or things aren't setup right internally. I imagine if things are an 1/8 in or so out of line in there it could jam things up. When @Dynamic put mine together he was saying he trims things back to make things fit more appropriately. Hopefully he'll chime in with a factual answer then just my speculation lol.

So 750rpm is normal? So much weird info on the web. Heard 800, 850 now 750? Is there something somewhere that ACTUALLY tells us what it is? I have a great trans guy but he's 50 miles away. He wants to see and drive my truck.....the shop that built my trans won't say boo about this problem being their fault. I'm done with them.

I'm just spitballing here, but what kind of oil is in the trans? It it possible you could run a thinner ATF to raise the stall a bit? Of course the "right" thing to do, if stall is a problem, would be to remove the converter and have the stall raised. However might be something to look into if it could be done safely. If nothing else it could be a troubleshooting exercise before removing the trans again.

Edited by kzimmer
Typo

When new my truck idled around 850. When I put the RV 275's in it idled around 800. When I replaced those with DAP 50's the idle went back to about 850. My thought is that idle does not have an exact rpm. It varies on what you have done to modify the engine. Definitely not the expert though.  

Trans fluid it atf+4. It's all the same stuff, synthetic and no viscosity differences. It's what is required by the newer transmissions so I can't see trying to find something different. 

I don't remember this truck ever idling at a different rpm. It didn't change with my new 40hp injectors. 

I really don't even care about the idle as long as the damn thing doesn't stall anymore.

The idling thing bugged me a first but never affected how the truck ran so I just quit thinking about it. Seems a lot of these trucks have their own personality. The stalling thing would definitely bother me. I cant offer anything more than has been said on that one.

• Staff

I don't know a whole lot but need to ask.... Could this just be a break in problem on a new TC? My truck with low miles stock trans started this locked up stalling biz. I just got it rolling on hills before I dropped it in gear and it eventually went away and never came back.

Would coming to a stop, foot hard on the brake and rev up a little so she don't stall, help with the break-in?:pray:

Edited by JAG1

• Staff
On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:11 PM, MattyWeiss said:

It doesnt stall when driving at all. It only stalls when I'm starting out. Not sure on the break in..... I guess anything is possible.

Yeap that's what mine was doing it stalled only after the first start up for the day, after that I could roll to a complete stop and she wouldn't stall.

Are you sayin she stalls every time you come to a stop? Gently raise the idle with right foot with left hard on the brake, but don't do it in traffic... do on gravel rd or large parking lot area. See if you can get fluid circulating around that TC. Don't do it forever or excessive, just see if you can get some improvement. Are my thoughts

Edited by JAG1