• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Am I filtering fuel enough?

Wondering if more filtration would be a good idea?  Completely stock except Airdog fuel pump with… fuel filter is 2 (or3) micron and water I have no clue what spec’s are.    I change out filters every 6,000 miles.  Filters are whatever Vulcan sends me when I ask for Airdog 100 filters.  Fuel line goes from Airdog pump to VP44.  Fuel is bought at high volume places and I change my filters and other fluids often.   (All except steering fluid I'm pretty lazy on.)

If more filtration is suggested, what is a good set up in your opinion?

Thanks

The two filters are enough. Not sure what Vulcan sends for the AD filters to pass an opinion on. I will say changing the filters every 6k miles is excessive. I normally keep an eye on fuel pressure and when it starts to decrease I will change them. And sometimes I have done at a 30k interval. The filters should be good at least that long unless you do get some really dirty fuel then who knows.just another reason to keep an eye on the pressure.

I did loose a pump a few years back and changed the filters to make sure they were not causing the problem and they were not.

Edited by dripley

• Owner
7 hours ago, 015point9 said:

I change out filters every 6,000 miles

Wasting your money on filters your changing way too early. You might want to start cutting the can open and looking at the media color. I change filters every 60,000 (not a typo). 

Here is my last 60k filter...

Image result for mopar1973man fuel filters

Here is one old pic of my 45k filters...

Here is a 15k filter... (Fleetguard)

• Staff
15 minutes ago, jlbayes said:

Honestly the stock filter is enough for the general population.

Jacob I disagree here bud, cause an added prefilter helps protect the lift pump and works in conjunction with factory filter to not be overwhelmed by doing all the work. Especially if running back roads where diesel is stored for extended periods. As soon as I changed out my fuel system to everything 1/2'' and got rid of the factory L/P with an AD150, within two weeks I had to change out the big prefilter I added.

It showed me how the factory flow rates of return fuel were so lax that fuel was not getting polished, allowing dirt/ sediment to build in the tank for 190,000 miles of its factory stock setup.

This is the beauty of opinions. I want both of you to consider how many of these trucks were built and still on the road with only the factory style filter. Across all the year ranges not only 2nd gens. If the factory filter was so bad we would see much more injector failures, pump failures as well as eroded fuel lines from pumping debris. It simply is not the case.

For circumstances you drive @JAG1 as well as @Mopar1973Man I agree better filtration is something to consider. For joe schmoe pavement queens (me :lol3:) it is a waste with very little benefit. So I will stand by my statement that the factory filtration is more than sufficient for the general population. I am by no means attempting discouraging others. If you want better filtration seek it out by all means.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

At what cost of the longevity of the VP44 and injectors. True it will work but typically comes at the cost of more VP44 failures and injector life spans shorten.

Your pic shows 3 filters.  Mine is just 2.  One on motor is bypassed.  Make any difference?  Street/towing only.

Edited by 015point9

• Staff

More trucks on road Huh... without the prefilter huh! lol, Well just goes to show that them guys don't read diesel books and love to trust the dealers for service and advice. I'm joking around here with some strong opinion. Mostly coming from some experience and some reading of the books I have about diesel engine maintenance.

You know two filters keeps the flow going better, thereby returning more fuel, which filters and recirculates the fuel several times before being burned. The tank stays cleaner and is insurance against the day when you might get a bad batch of fuel.

At 190,000 miles I bought this 01, like said before, the tank had a build up of debri because when remoding to the half inch draw straw I found the intank screens partly clogged and in two weeks I had to change a brand new Racor W/S filter all from dirt build up in the tank I stirred up by the new fuel system. Truck seemed to come alive loves the easy flow.

ME :poke:Jacob in Michigan

Just another mans opinion here. When I put my AD on at near 250k my tank was clean. Did see a little stuff floating in there but not enough to fill up a teaspoon. Dont get me wrong I like the extra filtration but what little crap I saw spoke well for the stock filter. But after another 200k who knows. Jerking my tank off the truck right now just aint on the to do list. Got bigger fish to fry that that.

• Owner
18 hours ago, jlbayes said:

I know of far more stock trucks running around with the factory original parts than I do of modified. 

True... So do I but, I know for fact the local ones here have had 2-3 times more VP44 failures than I have. Being I'm the person replacing the VP44's for the owners. I'm getting rather proficient at changing VP44's taking me roughly 1.5 hours. Kind of like saving @IBMobile on his camping trip through here... He's completely stock and failed around the 90k mark. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I am one that is stil running the factory fuel canister, and with 299,000 miles I have no intensions of deleting it. It provides the fuel heater and water separator, along with a quality Donaldson 10 micron filter changed out at every other oil change or 15000 miles I m sure it provides the proper filtration needed. 

I also run a pre lift pump 24 micron in line strainer, ( not a pre filter) just for the fact that the fuel basket screens are not serveicable, and pretty much useless. and pulling out of a draw straw It will catch any of the big stuff that may come through. and really critical with the mechanical lift pump and bypass valve set up.

• 9 months later...
  • Staff
On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 6:28 AM, 01cummins4ever said:

I also run a pre lift pump 24 micron in line strainer,

What brand and where did you get the strainer? 

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 6:04 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Kind of like saving @IBMobile on his camping trip through here... He's completely stock and failed around the 90k mark. 

The VP44 pump failed electronically, "no communication with ECM", not mechanically due to dirty fuel/poor filtration or lack of fuel pressure.  

• Like 1

• Staff

@jlbayes

I generally agree with why you have your stance. For most people they will get the expected longevity from factory level filtration, aside from early CR's and even then all 5.9 CR's. 

Now that ULSD is standard fuel, and the lubricity additive isn't missed like it was when ULSD was new, I feel the same about fuel lubricity requirements.

I do see more issues on peoples vehicles that are only maintained with OEM quality, but not to the point where it can be completely quantified. I also realize that the type of person who runs the cheapest anything is not the type of person to spend time of forums of this nature. 

All that being said I still run 3 fuel filters and lubricity additive every tank. (as well as better oil, bypass filter, coolant filter, etc..) I do realize it won't show me any gains in 100K miles, but over the life of the truck it should help. There is also varying degrees of benefit, such as economy, power, and efficiency. 

On 11/2/2017 at 12:02 AM, 015point9 said:

Wondering if more filtration would be a good idea?  Completely stock except Airdog fuel pump with… fuel filter is 2 (or3) micron and water I have no clue what spec’s are.    I change out filters every 6,000 miles.  Filters are whatever Vulcan sends me when I ask for Airdog 100 filters.  Fuel line goes from Airdog pump to VP44.  Fuel is bought at high volume places and I change my filters and other fluids often.   (All except steering fluid I'm pretty lazy on.)

If more filtration is suggested, what is a good set up in your opinion?

Thanks

Call Vulcan and ask what filters they are. 

Do you still have your OEM filter in-line?

There are several AD filter options that have WORSE than OEM filtration, like the one moparman appears to just have showed you . 

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

AirDog 150 water separator and pre-filter.

Image result for airdog filter mopar1973man

Image result for airdog filter mopar1973man

That looks like the WS-100, aka FS19768. It's actually not really designed as a fuel/water separator but has the FS designation due to the drain (directly from Fleetguard). It's only rated for 50% f/w separation and 0% emulsified water separation, at a mere 19.82 GPH... so basically it won't do crap for water issues at the rated flow of the AD. For reference the OEM 10µ filter is rated for 95% free water and 95% emulsified water separation. 

Edited by AH64ID
  • Like 2

Looks like I'll be shopping for additional filter set up.  Any recommendations and where did you install them.  I need to have filters that are very common as nearest Cummins only has a few that I can buy couple at a time.  Most other filters have to buy, the entire case.    So will be buying online, so need good and very common filters and available most anywhere.  I think someone mentioned filterbarn.com for online buying is good?

And your coolant filter...where did you mount it?

Thanks