• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Heater Grid: disconnecting it, (benefits?)

99 CTD 4x4

Tell me about advantages of disconnecting the heater grid. Im in Calif, but will be moving back to Idaho or Washington state

I disconnected the Heater grid wire eyelet right at the drivers side battery positive terminal. ( is that the proper place to disconnect?) Ran my truck to see if it would throw the checkengine light (nope}

So tell me the advantages or extra safeguard I benefit by disconnecting the heater grid.

I thought I heard disconnecting it helped protect the ECM or something like that ? ? ?

Or what issues does the heater grid operating cause, if any ? I obviously draws amps/power

Edited by GSP7

I believe longer battery life along with less stress on the alternator which if loaded puts out excess ac noise that leads to electronics failure such as ECM, psg an so on. On proper way to disconnect can't remember @Mopar1973Man is the man on that. I use his mod for 143f resistor on iat which is ran thru a relay on toggle switch and it's always fooled in warmer months and only use it to start the truck in colder mounts and switch it back to 143f to keep greeds off. 

While waiting for Mike's response

Will disconnecting the heater grid effect the "wait to start" light? 

I thought it might not even light up after disconnecting, but it still lights up on on the dash on my truck....???

during some recent testing, I unplugged the relays @ the coil wires to the relays & it threw a code.  I did not disconnect the big hoses to the relays @ the battery, but might consider it, given how hard it beats up on the batteries & Alternator.  Im in San Diego, so......... not like it is going to get cold.  LOL.  

10 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

Does too.   It's going to down to 57 tonight. 

The rest of the folks on the board are crying (or laughing) about our "lows"..........  

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, 

Edited by Bobalos

• Owner
4 minutes ago, Bobalos said:

The rest of the folks on the board are crying (or laughing) about our "lows"..........  

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, 

Last winter I was seeing MINUS 35*F. Now we are talking grid heater weather at least two cycles.

So is the purpose of disconnecting the grid heater to stop the excessive unnecessary amp draw on batteries / alternator etc...... and give the ECM a safe space and inner peace and sheeit and stuff,, lol .

Edited by GSP7
  • Like 1

• Staff

I like to plug in the block heater and not use the grid heaters, but I hate it when I leave it plugged in and drive off.

BTW, don't ever run the extension cord from the rear of the truck and over the antenae, thinking your so smart, but forget and drive off.:thumbup2:...... It turns it into a windshield breakin' whip and bends the body. Then windshield company screws up and have to do it done twice.

I thought I was so smart since I would see the cord over the antenea from the drivers seat.:doh:

:backtotopic:

Edited by JAG1
  • Sad 2