• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

We can see that your guest and been lurking about. When you register on the Mopar1973Man.Com site you'll be able to interact with all the other members. This is the most friendliest Cummins forum you'll ever join. Take the time right now and  REGISTER  on the Mopar1973Man.Com this will open up many more options and functions on the website. Everyone is very friendly and helpful just ask questions and everyone will help you out the best they can. 

Sign in to follow this  
GSP7

Heater Grid: disconnecting it, (benefits?)

99 CTD 4x4

Tell me about advantages of disconnecting the heater grid. Im in Calif, but will be moving back to Idaho or Washington state

I disconnected the Heater grid wire eyelet right at the drivers side battery positive terminal. ( is that the proper place to disconnect?) Ran my truck to see if it would throw the checkengine light (nope}

So tell me the advantages or extra safeguard I benefit by disconnecting the heater grid.

I thought I heard disconnecting it helped protect the ECM or something like that ? ? ?

Or what issues does the heater grid operating cause, if any ? I obviously draws amps/power

Edited by GSP7

I believe longer battery life along with less stress on the alternator which if loaded puts out excess ac noise that leads to electronics failure such as ECM, psg an so on. On proper way to disconnect can't remember @Mopar1973Man is the man on that. I use his mod for 143f resistor on iat which is ran thru a relay on toggle switch and it's always fooled in warmer months and only use it to start the truck in colder mounts and switch it back to 143f to keep greeds off. 

While waiting for Mike's response

Will disconnecting the heater grid effect the "wait to start" light? 

I thought it might not even light up after disconnecting, but it still lights up on on the dash on my truck....???

during some recent testing, I unplugged the relays @ the coil wires to the relays & it threw a code.  I did not disconnect the big hoses to the relays @ the battery, but might consider it, given how hard it beats up on the batteries & Alternator.  Im in San Diego, so......... not like it is going to get cold.  LOL.  

1 hour ago, Bobalos said:

Im in San Diego, so......... not like it is going to get cold.  LOL.  

Does too.   It's going to down to 57 tonight. 

10 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

Does too.   It's going to down to 57 tonight. 

The rest of the folks on the board are crying (or laughing) about our "lows"..........  

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, 

Edited by Bobalos

4 minutes ago, Bobalos said:

The rest of the folks on the board are crying (or laughing) about our "lows"..........  

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, 

Last winter I was seeing MINUS 35*F. Now we are talking grid heater weather at least two cycles.

So the Best way to disconnect is remove the ring terminal and wire at the drivers side battery ?

Yes. As you discovered it will not throw any codes. I am going on my 3rd winter without them.

Edited by dripley

So is the purpose of disconnecting the grid heater to stop the excessive unnecessary amp draw on batteries / alternator etc...... and give the ECM a safe space and inner peace and sheeit and stuff,, lol .

Edited by GSP7
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

These trucks will start down to 32*F in the morning without grid heaters. Heck my summer time morning temps are in the 50s.

They'll go lower than that but get a bit grumpy. Even with a single battery.

1 minute ago, dripley said:

Mine will start fine at 20 without them but talks back to me for doing it.

Same here. Rough idle for a few moments and heavy knocking then once there is a bit cylinder temperature it smooths right out. 

I like to plug in the block heater and not use the grid heaters, but I hate it when I leave it plugged in and drive off.

BTW, don't ever run the extension cord from the rear of the truck and over the antenae, thinking your so smart, but forget and drive off.:thumbup2:...... It turns it into a windshield breakin' whip and bends the body. Then windshield company screws up and have to do it done twice.

I thought I was so smart since I would see the cord over the antenea from the drivers seat.:doh:

:backtotopic:

Edited by JAG1
  • Sad 2

I hate wasting power on 750 watt heater attempting to heat the outside. 30 second of battery power get to started. Then get rolling quickly and reduce you idle time. Sooner you get over 20 MPH the sooner grid heater are disabled.

I wondered how long the grid heater stays on. Is it just timer timed or is it thermostatically controlled some how?

Edited by GSP7

Timer based on both battery temperature and IAT temperature. So it possible to get grid heaters after starting even though the coolant is greater than 190F and IAT is greater than 60F. Battery temperature can and will impact grid heater usage.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I plugged mine in last winter on a timer and had come on about an hour before departure time.That was enough to get the coolant temp up to 70 - 80*. Never did forget to unplug it though.

I don't think I will ever forget to unplug ever again.

if you have a marginal alternator that has to help power the grid heaters and recharge the batteries after using them,  does that send higher AC ripple thru the ECM/ PCM?

Edited by JAG1

Some of us do not have a place to plug their trucks in....I live in an apartment complex. No outlets and I will not run a cord out to the truck. Too many characters living around here to give them an opportunity.