• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

AirDog 150 - Finally failed

• Owner

After all these years of service my AirDog as of today blew the fuse and drop the fuel pressure to ZERO. ISSPro Gauge lit the low pressure light just as I drove out of the yard. I shut down the engine the truck bump the starter to see if the pump comes on. Nope. Get back in the yard and check the fuse. 20 amp fuse blew. With it in the shop now I replaced the fuse and just bumped the starter. The pump came on and sounded rather rough. Lasted about 60 second and went quiet with a snap under the hood. Fuse blew again. I've already call Pureflow to see if I can get parts and it might be difficult being the serial number tag fell off long ago. I'm going to see if I can repair my pump and get it going again.

Please do on the pictures. I have my old failed one and would like to get a idea of what's in there before I take mine apart.

Sorry to hear about the pump. I think you need to have a memorial service for it after 12 years.

• Haha 1

• Owner

Damages... The pump seal gave up was pushing diesel fuel into the shaft bearing which is now wiped out.

20180605_092611.jpg

So here is the shaft bearing and it gone. So when the bearing started to fail last few weeks I've noticed the pump was louder than normal but pressure was good. Sorry for the fingers...

20180605_092624.jpg

Now the brushes are wiped out too.20180605_092632.jpg

Overall appearance... Looks sad over 12 years of road grime...

20180605_092807.jpg

I was lucky and remembered I'd saved my AirDog label when I found it on the shop floor. It was tucked in a notebook.

20180605_092838.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

The new 4g motors on the new airdogs will bolt to your base all based are the same they are 225 isg with out warranty also if u bought the truck with the pump on there and u buy a new motor it starts the warranty over for whole unit for the new owner not previous 

• Owner

Pureflow comes through. I've never filed a registration form with them but talked to Kyle and he was very helpful. I've got a brand new pump motor coming for FREE. He's going to honor the lifetime warranty that I would had if I filled out the warranty card. So in about 3-4 days I should see the new AirDog motor.

• Like 1

• Owner
1 hour ago, 015point9 said:

If something breaks... always nice to have it happen close to home

90% of all my failures now have happened close to home but one. Which was the wheel bearing failure in Boise, ID. As for the AirDog I didn't make it out of the driveway so I would have to say the failure happened at home. 

Maybe it'll make another 200,000 never know. 

I caught mine just in time, it was leaking from the base weep hole. That's where it should seep fuel out of when that seal goes out before it gets into the motor. Yours must have been plugged. I ended up rebuilding my pump with new O-rings and the seal, but in the meantime I bought a fass so air dog is just sitting on the shelf for now as a spare. Nice of them to give you a free motor.

• Owner
23 minutes ago, GSP7 said:

How many miles on it in 12 years?

Roughly 250k miles. 

38 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I caught mine just in time, it was leaking from the base weep hole. That's where it should seep fuel out of when that seal goes out before it gets into the motor. Yours must have been plugged. I ended up rebuilding my pump with new O-rings and the seal,

Ahh... That why I always seen the fuel back there. The one line was always wet but never left a puddle. I just gave up on the fitting and figured it would show up better later. It did the pump failed. Now looking I see the bleed hole you speak off and it was packed with mud and grit so it just weeps out.

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Yeap... The new motor coming. Rebuilt.

Seriously there are no replaceable parts in the motor according to Kyle. Basically get the entire motor as a package. 

What I meant was can you rebuild the one that failed?

From second sentence I am assuming no, except they are sending you a rebuilt motor?

That is good they are sending you one. My first one went at about 90K and the free replacement they sent has about 110K on it. Hope that aint a bad sign.

• Owner
7 minutes ago, dripley said:

What I meant was can you rebuild the one that failed?

No. Like Kyle told me there is no replaceable part within the motor. 

8 minutes ago, dripley said:

From second sentence I am assuming no, except they are sending you a rebuilt motor?

Correct. They only send out full motor replacements.

9 minutes ago, dripley said:

That is good they are sending you one. My first one went at about 90K and the free replacement they sent has about 110K on it. Hope that aint a bad sign.

We'll see right? 

Ive never heard/read about a Fass Titanium having this issue of fuel getting in the elec motor or bearings past a failed seal

Im not trying to bash Airdog or any thing,

Just wondering,,,

Has anyone heard of this on a Fass?  

2 hours ago, GSP7 said:

Has anyone heard of this on a Fass?

I have not, but it did happen on my airdog. I had a long conversation with airdog dog people if there was a better way two separate fuel from motor aside from the tiny little seal, they basically said obviously not and fass was similar design. But I haven't had fast apart to find out and hopefully won't for a while. 

Air dog had very bad problem about 6 years ago. It went on for a while. They took good beating over it. Fass didnt have that same problem. But after 12 years and 250k miles on a pump I don't think many folks would complain about it, Fass or AD. My AD has about 115k on it now the first one only had about 85k on it when it died. AD replaced it no questions asked. It sucked but they stood behind it.

• Staff

IIRC AD advertises a 15-16K hour motor. 

250K miles over 16K hours is a 15 mph average, which is a LOT slower than most drive. At 35 mph/avg it's only 7,142 hours or just under 1/2 of the advertised life. I'm not sure that's very impressive. 

85K miles is even worse. 

• Owner

Kind of hard to judge on mileage alone. I can tell of many times sitting in parking lots idling away to keep warm with 0*F weather. Then like last summer many days of idling in parking lots to keep from frying to death. All the times I kicked 3 cylinder warm up or 6 cylinder warm up. Jump-starting other vehicles. I'm sure there is a few thousand hours more on the pump motor in idle time.