• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

6 Speed manual transmission ~ NV5600 ~ General Questions

9 hours ago, AH64ID said:

I compleatly agree. 

The potential issue I see with @Mopar1973Man‘s location is the removal of the probe from direct fluid contact due to its height as well as the reducing bushings.  

If the probe were constantly bathed in fluid I bet it would read hotter. 

Just the effect of the bushings and airflow will alter the readings. 

I agree, however, an analog gauge probably can't read the difference. Pretty sure a digital could but probably not enough to matter. 

• Like 1

@Killer223 I watched those videos several weeks ago with some disappointment.  I had already purchased front and rear Mag Hi-Tech differential covers.  I agree with what Gail Banks is getting at in his video's but my Mag Hi-Techs are on and look great now. LOL!  I purchased them about 7 years ago and just never seemed to find the time to get around to installing them.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LiveOak said:

@Killer223 I watched those videos several weeks ago with some disappointment.  I had already purchased front and rear Mag Hi-Tech differential covers.  I agree with what Gail Banks is getting at in his video's but my Mag Hi-Techs are on and look great now. LOL!  I purchased them about 7 years ago and just never seemed to find the time to get around to installing them.  

After i put my mag cover on the rear, my temps are definitely cooler, before it was almost hot now just worm to the touch. 

• Like 1

• Owner

Went out and bought a Laser / IR temp gun. Measured the gearcase top to bottom after 120 miles of driving. The bottom measured out at 89*F and the top near the sensor / fill plug was 93*F. Again. Verified and running MUCH cooler than most after 120 miles of travel.  VERIFIED also the fill plug is hotter than the bottom of the PTO cover by at least 5*F. Heat does rise. ISSPro EV2 gauge reports just 100*F because the temperature is deed below 100*F. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Went out and bought a Laser / IR temp gun. Measured the gearcase top to bottom after 120 miles of driving. The bottom measured out at 89*F and the top near the sensor / fill plug was 93*F. Again. Verified and running MUCH cooler than most after 120 miles of travel.  VERIFIED also the fill plug is hotter than the bottom of the PTO cover by at least 5*F. Heat does rise. ISSPro EV2 gauge reports just 100*F because the temperature is deed below 100*F. 

Never doubted that heat does rise just not a significant difference with the fluid churning is all.

• Like 2

• Staff
6 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Never doubted that the heat would be rise with static fluid. 

Heat rising isn't what's been in question, its the accuracy of the probe location when driving. The probe is removed laterally from the fluid, subject to outside cooling the fluid isn't, and is likely not bathed in fluid. That's what is in question, and I don't think you can answer that with an IR gun , as the case temp will be lower than the fluid temp (just like the differences in our stove thermometers, where you said your's is a true temp and not a stack temp... I look at your trans temp probe like a stack temp and not a true fluid temp). 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Getting back to topic for a final follow up.  The 50/50 blend of Amsoil MTF/ SAE 50 synthetic is working well but with an * that I recommend all heed.  This blend of transmission oil DOES work very well once it has reached operating temperature.  When it is cold, the transmission if VERY VERY stiff with respect to shifting gears.  The colder it is, the worse it gets.  Once the transmission oil has reached full operating temperature, the transmission shifts VERY nice and smooth.  

Having had some time to work with this transmission fill, I have found that on cold days, for the first start up, I will start the truck, allow it to idle a few minutes and then place the transfer case in neutral.  Then I place the transmission in 4th gear and allow the engine to warm up.  I usually let it idle with exhaust brake set on to aid the engine reaching full operation temperature faster.  Once the temperature gauge is showing good movement to warming up, I shut the exhaust brake off and go on my way.  By then, the transmission oil is warmed up enough to shift without much issue.  Just have to be easy with it and let it go in gear when it is ready.  Sometimes a double clutch helps out.  As it warms up fully, I can shift like normal.  

My 5 gallon pail of Red Line 75W 80 synthetic came in and I decided to use it on the wife's transmission since it has a very fussy 3rd gear shift if you rush it.  I went with the Red Line based on my phone conversation with Cody at Super Stick Transmissions.  He indicated that he liked the Red Line the best.  He was DEFINITELY correct on that call.  

My manual shake test told me the Red Line was not as vicious as the Amsoil MTF and way thinner than the SAE 50 synthetic but more viscous than the Pennzoil Synchromesh that was in the transmission.  

I am very impressed with how much smoother the wife's truck shifts now.  The fussy 3rd gear shift is MUCH better.  The Red Line oil does not need to be warmed up near as much as the 50/50 blend in my truck.  I may change over to the Red Line for my truck in the future.  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, LiveOak said:

The colder it is, the worse it gets.  Once the transmission oil has reached full operating temperature, the transmission shifts VERY nice and smooth.  

Mine's been like that since I bought it, with Pennzoil and Amsoil. I also have a fussy 3rd gear when it's cold out. 

3 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Mine's been like that since I bought it, with Pennzoil and Amsoil. I also have a fussy 3rd gear when it's cold out. 

You might want to try the Red Line 75W 80 I used.  It did not totally fix the fussy 3rd gear shift but sure did greatly improve it.  The other thing I did was to add the TDS pto covers which raise the oil fill port to make the transmission hold and extra 2 pints, maybe more.  

• Thanks 1