• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New Tire Size found 235's to 245's

2 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Is there anyone here that can chime in about 4:10s and tire size? Seems like everyone has 3:55s. I am getting 18.5 mpg with 4:10s and 265/70/17 right now and would like to get 20. For 4:10s do I want to go bigger to bring the gear ratio down or not?

Yes you want to go bigger, for you I would think 285/70/17 would be a good size without compromising steering parts too much.

Edited by Dieselfuture
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Is there anyone here that can chime in about 4:10s and tire size? Seems like everyone has 3:55s. I am getting 18.5 mpg with 4:10s and 265/70/17 right now and would like to get 20. For 4:10s do I want to go bigger to bring the gear ratio down or not?

I just got new tires and went from 285/70/17 to 285/75/17.  My best trank with the old tires was 20.4 but usually average around 18-18.5 around town.  I will let you know if the slightly taller tires change anything.

L8tr

d

I'm confused. First of all I hate metric tire sizes. Mine are 265/70/17 which the calculator says is 31.5". I have 3.54 gearing in my axles but I'm not seeing 2000 rpm until somewhere around 88 mph. Maybe the.61 ratio of sixth in the Allison is taller than what you guys are running? If I'm planning on running 315/70/17's (34.4") with the 5/6 ratios of .71 and.61 respectively, what gearset should I be looking for? I do routinely drive 75/80mph unloaded. Haven't done any towing yet but I do have the ability to turn off 6th gear and stick with the higher rpm's when towing. Thoughts?

So I opened my mind a bit and ran a few different tire sizes through the calculator. If I go with a 305/70/17 with the 4.10 ratio that will put me at 1960 RPM's and 78 mph in 6th gear which is where I do most of my highway driving. With sixth gear cancelled I'll be hitting 1960 rpm's at 68 which seems like a pretty decent cruise speed for light/medium towing. Does that sound like a decent range? 

I too am contemplating new tires and don't want to end up fighting egt's or the cost at the pump.

Edited by Scottfunk

14 minutes ago, Scottfunk said:

I'm confused. First of all I hate metric tire sizes. Mine are 265/70/17 which the calculator says is 31.5". I have 3.54 gearing in my axles but I'm not seeing 2000 rpm until somewhere around 88 mph. Maybe the.61 ratio of sixth in the Allison is taller than what you guys are running? If I'm planning on running 315/70/17's (34.4") with the 5/6 ratios of .71 and.61 respectively, what gearset should I be looking for? I do routinely drive 75/80mph unloaded. Haven't done any towing yet but I do have the ability to turn off 6th gear and stick with the higher rpm's when towing. Thoughts?

Having a Allison tranny is going to change a lot of things. 

• Owner
42 minutes ago, Scottfunk said:

Maybe the.61 ratio of sixth in the Allison is taller than what you guys are running?

Way taller. 

47RE is 0.68

NV4500 is 0.75

NV5600 is 0.73

What I'm finding for final ratio at around 3.60 to 3.70 is awesome. Mine is at 3.69:1 ratio to the ground with the 245's now.

I just towed the RV home tonight. I'll admit I was being abusive to the truck to see how far I could reach. Needless to say you can push pretty darn hard on it now. Few grades I left the cruise set for 60 MPH. Walked on over. The best part was a Ford flatbed tow truck was empty couldn't pass me as I left it in 5th gear hauling on over the grade doing 60 MPH. Then another grade I down shifted to 4th (direct) and beat on it some more running up the grade at 55 MPH which is up around 2,300 RPM now. But it pulled great. Still had power to spare. Transmission temperature was great floating 160 to 170*F remember that is just a factory NV4500 no coolers, no heat shields, and just the 50 SAE oil in the case. I did push hard enough to get engine coolant temperature up in the 210-220*F range. Like I said I was being a bit abusive to see how far I could reach. I'll say there is way mode towing power. Runs cooler EGT and engine wise on the flats. I'll also admit with the Quad on any wiretap mode it will pull the tires out from under itself. Level 3 is perfect you can mat the throttle to the floor and it stops just short of 1,200*F in top gear on flat ground. (Quadzilla and +75 HP injectors)

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

I am running 4.10 sure grip rear and 3rd Gen rims with Nitto Duragrappler 285/75R17's.  Just made a round trip from Vancouver, WA to Yuba City, CA.  Averaged GPS calculated 19.8 and change and return was 20.3 and change.  Around town about 18-18.5 most times depending on where/when I go.  Probably making that trip again this next week so will see how it goes this time.  I do drive pretty conservative and keep speed about 62 on cruise.

6 hours ago, Russ Roth said:

I am running 4.10 sure grip rear and 3rd Gen rims with Nitto Duragrappler 285/75R17's.  Just made a round trip from Vancouver, WA to Yuba City, CA.  Averaged GPS calculated 19.8 and change and return was 20.3 and change.  Around town about 18-18.5 most times depending on where/when I go.  Probably making that trip again this next week so will see how it goes this time.  I do drive pretty conservative and keep speed about 62 on cruise.

It looks like we are pretty much the same mileage wise with the same tire size. I have Toyo AT's.

L8tr

D

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SilverMoose said:

It looks like we are pretty much the same mileage wise with the same tire size. I have Toyo AT's.

L8tr

D

Are u running any tuning?

So I ran a grading calculator and I’m coming up with 3:66 for my final ratio. That’s pretty darn close to 3:55 so hopefully it will help with mpg and rpm! 

• Owner

You want to come down toward the 3.73 mark more so. At 3.69 ratio 65 MPH is right at 1,960 RPM's. 3.55 is a bit better for strictly interstate travel at 80+ MPH. 3.73 seem to be way better on the standard 2 lane mountain roads and even towing. You have to consider what you do the most. Remember Quadzilla shows -1 MPH off this is actually 65 MPH.

Capture+_2018-07-05-16-05-21.png

15 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Are u running any tuning?

So I ran a grading calculator and I’m coming up with 3:66 for my final ratio. That’s pretty darn close to 3:55 so hopefully it will help with mpg and rpm! 

Stock except for DDRP. Tuning is my right foot. :lol2:

@Mopar1973Man what I'm looking to do is incorporate the trans final ratio into that. Do I multiply the tire/axle ratio by the trans ratio? Or maybe divide it? Just trying to calculate a level playing field so I can plan my tire/gear setup to get in a more useable range. I would be surprised if I'm getting 16mpg on the freeway although I have no real way of checking it as yet. When I do the final wiring under the hood I will be reinstalling the factory Chevy pcm so I can have my stock Speedo and odo again.

• Owner

Not sure. The best way would be to see the RPM at 65 MPH then you know if you got to up or down in ratio. 

8 minutes ago, SilverMoose said:

Stock except for DDRP. Tuning is my right foot. :lol2:

In other words heavily retarded timing. There is a nasty hole in the middle of the map for stock. (EPA crap)

24 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

You want to come down toward the 3.73 mark more so. At 3.69 ratio 65 MPH is right at 1,960 RPM's. 3.55 is a bit better for strictly interstate travel at 80+ MPH. 3.73 seem to be way better on the standard 2 lane mountain roads and even towing. You have to consider what you do the most. Remember Quadzilla shows -1 MPH off this is actually 65 MPH.

Capture+_2018-07-05-16-05-21.png

3:69 is what the calculator says. Maybe I should go with the 285/70/17 that would be a 3:81 ratio.