• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla tunes for big turbo

ctprice4

I currently have 125 hp DDP Injectors and a 62mm silver bullet turbo. The truck is studded and I just upgraded to the V2 tuning on my quadzilla trying to lower my EGTs because I pull 0 boost at cruising speeds. Drove 5 hours this afternoon at a constant 70 mph and was pulling 0 boost. EGTs we’re sitting at 1150 constantly and my gas milesage was about 14mpg. With the stock turbo, which was on a month ago, I could pull 8 psi at 70 no problem and my EGTs were 900. Wondering what I should do to get that turbo to spool at lower rpms and lower my EGTs. Once I hit 2k rpms the turbo fires up and gets to 45 psi quick. But until I hit the 2k mark, it’s quite and dead. Maybe I need to go with bigger injectors to run the charger a little harder? Or is there a good tune out there that can help?

Edited by ctprice4
Needed to add a sentence.

I dont think there is much you can do tuning wise for this.   The engine just isn't flowing enough air to keep on top of the turbo when at cruise state.   you can try adding more timing, but I dont think it will  make a big difference in this case. 

What are the full specs of the turbo?

your ddp injectors are likely a large reason for your egt issues.   they are known to be hot and smokey.  

5 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

The turbo is a 62/74/14 I know the turbine is massive and it’s going to take awhile to spool. But the guys over at industrial injection said that I should be running 7-8 psi at 70+ mph with this turbo. They told me to go with 180hp injectors to run the charger harder. I’m thinking that’s what I’ll have to do. I’m just trying to save a little money since I just installed these injectors a month ago 

Do what you want to, but the combo you are running is not going to run well.  a 62/68/12 is going to be MUCH better suited to a DD vp truck.   

bumping injectors up wont really help at cruise state as you only need XX HP to move down the road.  Adding bigger injectors does not change how much fuel is used at cruise and thus does not created more energy heading towards the turbine.   Bigger injectors will help light the turbo faster when you put your foot into it, but that is not the same situtation as cruising.  

9 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Do what you want to, but the combo you are running is not going to run well.  a 62/68/12 is going to be MUCH better suited to a DD vp truck.   

bumping injectors up wont really help at cruise state as you only need XX HP to move down the road.  Adding bigger injectors does not change how much fuel is used at cruise and thus does not created more energy heading towards the turbine.   Bigger injectors will help light the turbo faster when you put your foot into it, but that is not the same situtation as cruising.  

Honestly I don’t really care about the boost at cruising speeds. I honestly just care about the EGTs spiking like are. Especially on a 5 hour drive where it sits at 1100 constantly and don’t even ask what it is if I want to pass someone... smoke is awful. Say I were to get new injectors would that help the EGTs and what company should I go with?

20 minutes ago, trreed said:

I just re-read and caught that it's a silver bullet.  Means the 74mm turbine wheel.  There's the issue.

Well I spent $1800 on the damn thing. I want to keep it in the truck. My bank account hurts haha. Just trying to cool down the EGTs. That’s all I care about. 

DDP injectors are not known for being clean or cool.  So really any injectors, DAP and DFI have both been good to me.  

HOWEVER without being able to be onboost at cruise state your EGT's are still going to be high.   Maybe not 1100, but you wont be able to get down to 700*F like one would want for good MPG.   

Our engines are not efficent off boost, hence your issues.  The turbo is the wrong turbo for a vp application.   You are going to spend a ton of time and money trying to work around having the wrong turbo for the application.  

If I was in your shoes I would put the stock hx back on, sell the silver bullet and get a 62/68/12 sxe from DAP.

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

DDP injectors are not known for being clean or cool.  So really any injectors, DAP and DFI have both been good to me.  

HOWEVER without being able to be onboost at cruise state your EGT's are still going to be high.   Maybe not 1100, but you wont be able to get down to 700*F like one would want for good MPG.   

Our engines are not efficent off boost, hence your issues.  The turbo is the wrong turbo for a vp application.   You are going to spend a ton of time and money trying to work around having the wrong turbo for the application.  

If I was in your shoes I would put the stock hx back on, sell the silver bullet and get a 62/68/12 sxe from DAP.

What if I went with their 64/68/12? And went with some 200 hp injectors? I’m ditching the turbo and putting the stock back on. Really going to plan this out before making an impulsive decision like before. I want the truck to make 600 hp and be able to DD it. 

1 minute ago, Me78569 said:

If you want 600 hp and be able to use it as a truck then you need twins.  you could do a hot mid 500's on a 62/68/12

I dont think you want a 600 hp single vp truck.

With that turbo how big of injectors should I go with? I’m just basing my knowledge off of videos and guys on YouTube. And what about the stock intercooler? Exhaust manifold? Does anything need to be done to make it work. I apologize for asking all these questions. I just want to do it right this time. 

I'd go with some vco nozzle 7x .011's.  otherwise stock.  the exhaust and intake will work fine.   

You could keeping running your ddp injectors to start and see how it goes once you get rid of the badly spec'd turbo.  

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

@Dieselfuture thanks for you tidbits. Gotta ask what MPG offset or you using?

182 for off set but 95.7 for tire circumference, even though it should be 99.2 accorcding to tire calculator. My speedo is off by about 2ml at 70, if I travel 70 ml truck will register 72. I'm not sure if my math is anywhere close, but my gallons used are with in half a gallon or less on most tank used. It's close enough for me, I could probably go to 181 to be exact but keeping it on less side, meaning it will say I used 25 gallons but in reality it will be 24.5 or so. 

Hope I made since with what I'm trying to say. It may get you close for starting point. :shrug:

• Like 1