Marcus2000monster

Quadzilla display project

I’m working on figuring out a way to use an Android device and have it come on and off with the key switch. I have no clue how to go about this. Any suggestions? I think I have found a way to make it autostart a certain app namely IQuad of course so that part I can work with.... hopefully within a month I can afford a Qaud! 

While I should have researched this earlier, I have not. I apologize I don't have the answer. I would think you would want something that will startup when it gets power to the USB cable. 

• Thanks 1

All I got to say is make it bigger than the Smarty Touch screen. That thing is smaller than my LG G5 screen now. I don't want to squint to see the gauges. Remember us old farts out here with crappy eyesight and needing bifocals.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We are working on a monitor. We should be getting a semi-working prototype to us in the next couple of weeks. 

12 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

All I got to say is make it bigger than the Smarty Touch screen. That thing is smaller than my LG G5 screen now. I don't want to squint to see the gauges. Remember us old farts out here with crappy eyesight and needing bifocals.

If the smarty touch is still 4.3" then we will be bigger than that for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another thing to be aware of... Just be aware of the suction cup laws for windshield mounting. Make sure there is other options for mounting the screen.

https://blog.proclipusa.com/suction-cup-windshield-mounts/

States in Which Suction Cup Windshield Mounts Are Illegal
Alabama
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Georgia
Idaho
Illinois
Louisiana
Maine
Montana
Nebraska
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Dakota
Oklahoma
Oregon
Virginia
Washington
Washington, D.C.
West Virginia

I've got a suction cup Garmin GPS and hate that dang thing it falls off the glass quite often. I've got it tucked quite low on the glass so it's not noticed by law enforcement.

Ummm... The last ticket I've ever got was back 26 years ago. Been awhile since I've really been pulled over and picked on. I've had one a year ago but local cops don't bother with me once I pull my Idaho County ID for search and rescue. But the suction cup idea is something to be aware of. Even my Garmin and it constantly falling off the glass and laying in the bottom of the dash. Scares the crap out you at night when it does fall. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

On 9/5/2018 at 9:02 AM, Quadzilla Power said:

We are working on a monitor. We should be getting a semi-working prototype to us in the next couple of weeks. 

If the smarty touch is still 4.3" then we will be bigger than that for sure. 

@Quadzilla Power hownis that display for the programmer coming?

9 hours ago, Youngblood24v said:

@Marcus2000monster This is the size android tablet I’m running. Currently have it just sitting on my cluster due to the heat always knocking my suction mount off while sitting in the sun. 

62FA1BD8-947D-46D6-863A-1A25C86C6499.jpeg

I’m just not a fan of a loose smartphone or tablet sitting in my dash. I prefer something that looks like it was made to fit if you know what I mean lol. 

I’m really wanting a Qaud but I’m going to wait until they come out with they’re new display. 

On 9/19/2018 at 3:21 PM, Marcus2000monster said:

I’m just not a fan of a loose smartphone or tablet sitting in my dash. I prefer something that looks like it was made to fit if you know what I mean lol. 

I’m really wanting a Qaud but I’m going to wait until they come out with they’re new display. 

Here’s how I have mine. Just an idea, I’d prefer something permanent that’s for sure.

E2E6DE28-A8DD-41F2-B177-44A072127CFE.jpeg.d2ecfb88bc55d0c72fad9d4ef7396cc9.jpeg

I thought I'd try an 7' android (not android auto) double din car stereo,  just got it in today and nope, quadzilla app won't run on it.  Annoying. Sending it back.  This has got to be an app thing.  I suppose I'll try to fit a tablet in somewhere.  Phone is too small for me.

There are people who have gotten it to work. They usually have to hack into the OS though to allow it to download from the google play store. It is a lot of work frankly. 

-Thanks again, 

18 minutes ago, Quadzilla Power said:

There are people who have gotten it to work. They usually have to hack into the OS though to allow it to download from the google play store. It is a lot of work frankly. 

-Thanks again, 

Keep us updated on that monitor please! I’m prob gonna stay away from the adrenaline until that comes becuase I don’t like the idea of using a phone. Just my personal opinion. 

34 minutes ago, Quadzilla Power said:

-Thanks again, 

I don't wanna root a new stereo because of an app.  This is my solution. 

20180924_133747.jpg

Well it took me frikken hours to figure out...

But I got my old GS4 phone to bend to my will. :stirthepot:

It will now:

1. Automatically boot up when I start the truck
  2. Auto-launch iquad app on system start
  3. Automatically shut down within 10 seconds of truck key off. 

I still don't like using the damn phone, but at least this is a step in the right direction. and good lord it was a PITA to pull off...If you aren't tech savvy...don't even bother trying to do the above as it involves rooting the device, editing a system file (requires root access) that if done wrong will make it necessary to reboot into recovery and factory reset the phone. (had to do that twice cause I screwed it up the first 2 times :doh:) and then adding a couple special apps to auto start iquad on system boot, and creating a script in an automation app to check every 10 seconds if the power cord is plugged in and delay another 10 seconds if it is, or shut down if it's not. (requires root access)

• Like 1