• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil Pressure and oil type

I know the oil pressure sending units and readout are not the best in the 99 dodge rams.  Mine is fine when running but drops to 0 at idle.  The engine sounds perfect so I assume it's the sensor / sending unit. 

My question, does using fully synthetic affect this at all? I wouldn't think so but thought I'd ask. 

Edited by SavageTusk

55 minutes ago, SavageTusk said:

I know the oil pressure sending units and readout are not the best in the 99 dodge rams.  Mine is fine when running but drops to 0 at idle.  The engine sounds perfect so I assume it's the sensor / sending unit. 

My question, does using fully synthetic affect this at all? I wouldn't think so but thought I'd ask. 

I have a '99 and my oil pressure readout never drops to 0.

Ok, the oil pressure is fine.  Ran a guage up under the wiper and is in the normal range. Must be the sending unit. 

I agree with the oil type, and will use my regular chevron delo on my first oil change with the new truck.  Just going down the list of things to check. 

• Owner

Like an old TDR article... Designed at the time of the release of CJ-4 oils.

TDR57_Oil.pdf

Then if you ask @cajflynn about oil changes on his 1.3 MILLION mile truck 2001 Dodge he was doing 20k oil changes. Hauling heavy boats. 

Then ask @dorkweed about his 84k oil change on nothing more than WalMart SuperTech 15w-40. There more to it with the filters he was running at the time and Blackstone testing. 

This is why I tend to disregard the short Schedule "B" because so few people actually fit that short change interval. 

• Every winter here drops to -30*F at least. 
  • Every time I get to Ontario OR is nothing but stop and go driving.
  • I've been known to idle the engine up to 3 hours with heat or A/C on to keep comfortable. I'm not going to fry or freeze.
  • Every time I leave the pavement is a dirt road. Heck, my driveway is a dirt road.
  • EXCLUDED - all my trips are over 100 miles typically. Typically I can put down 250-300 miles per day.
  • Then every time I was on the interstate (85 MPH) heading to Boise, ID this summer. temps in the 105 to 110 realm.
  • Just towed my RV trailer to Ontario last week.
  • I work for the local fire dept so every time I get a page I can and have jumped in the seat and ran. No warm up. (Rattlesnake fire, ID)
  • Every time I go get firewood and down in the southern Idaho area is nothing but desert. 

I'm still not going to change oil every 3,750k.

So looking at @cajflynn that was doing hotshot work and hauling heavy boats should been changing oil every 3 to 4 days then. Myself I would be changing oil every 12 days that would increase the cost operation considerably. So in one year I would have to change 17 times vs 8 times on the Schedule A

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Way too early. Right out of the owners manual is 7.5k miles. Even my 1996 Dodge 1500 is 6k miles on an oil change.

Just pointing out there is more schedules than one in the owners manual, that's all. As far as actual oil changes, that is a personal preference and can be all over the map. Some people swear by the manual, most don't.

On 9/5/2018 at 8:35 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Like an old TDR article... Designed at the time of the release of CJ-4 oils.

TDR57_Oil.pdf

Then if you ask @cajflynn about oil changes on his 1.3 MILLION mile truck 2001 Dodge he was doing 20k oil changes. Hauling heavy boats. 

Then ask @dorkweed about his 84k oil change on nothing more than WalMart SuperTech 15w-40. There more to it with the filters he was running at the time and Blackstone testing. 

This is why I tend to disregard the short Schedule "B" because so few people actually fit that short change interval. 

• Every winter here drops to -30*F at least. 
  • Every time I get to Ontario OR is nothing but stop and go driving.
  • I've been known to idle the engine up to 3 hours with heat or A/C on to keep comfortable. I'm not going to fry or freeze.
  • Every time I leave the pavement is a dirt road. Heck, my driveway is a dirt road.
  • EXCLUDED - all my trips are over 100 miles typically. Typically I can put down 250-300 miles per day.
  • Then every time I was on the interstate (85 MPH) heading to Boise, ID this summer. temps in the 105 to 110 realm.
  • Just towed my RV trailer to Ontario last week.
  • I work for the local fire dept so every time I get a page I can and have jumped in the seat and ran. No warm up. (Rattlesnake fire, ID)
  • Every time I go get firewood and down in the southern Idaho area is nothing but desert. 

I'm still not going to change oil every 3,750k.

So looking at @cajflynn that was doing hotshot work and hauling heavy boats should been changing oil every 3 to 4 days then. Myself I would be changing oil every 12 days that would increase the cost operation considerably. So in one year I would have to change 17 times vs 8 times on the Schedule A

Very well put... Also when our trucks were new the oils were not quite as advanced as even the cheapest diesel oil you can buy today. Filtration has greatly improved since the early 2000's too. For example typical oil change interval in a class 8 engine recommended by manufacturers was about 15,000 miles in the early 2000's. Today manufacturers state 40,000 - 60,000 mile oil changes on conventional oil depending on engine manufacturer.

The greatest variable to oil change intervals is the loose nut sitting behind the wheel meaning their driving habits and use of the engine.

I prefer synthetic oils because their hot and cold performance is superior to conventional oils. Synthetic oils are easier to pump and reduce friction thus improving fuel mileage. For those that have always ran synthetic in their diesel engine like me will never go back to conventional oil.  In all honesty when I hear a VP ISB running with conventional oil they feel rough and sound very clattery like they are fixing to cum-a-part, most will think it sounds like a normal Cummins. One of the few downsides I've found with synthetics is if you have leaks the leak will be worse with synthetic. If your engine burns oil it will burn more with synthetic. I do not recommend the use of synthetic oil in a worn out or leaking engine. In the 12,000 mile oil change intervals my 01 might use half to one quart of Rotella T6 oil and has a minor oil pan seep. I never have to add oil between oil changes.

1 hour ago, 12V_DRIFTER said:

Has anyone ever used  JCB Ultra Performance 15W40 conventional oil ? 

I run Amsoil full synth in my 3rd gen , just bought a 2000 with 396k  and the ole boy had a new 5 gallon jug of the JCB in the bed . I run and trust Delo in my ‘94 . Any opinions welcome .

Never heard of it. I’m switching to Sheaffers next go round. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2018 at 9:05 PM, SavageTusk said:

Ok I think I found the issue. Scheduling an appt with the dealership. 

20180909_210359.jpg

We'll this was interesting.  I went to have this done and the shop foreman showed me that the Chrysler tool won't connect to the PCM...I assume this is because of the engine swap.  I was able to get past it my modifying the gauge cluster but brings me to the concern of communication with the PCM.  The truck drives fine and quadzilla works fine.  Remember this is a 99 with an 01 engine. On a side note he was able to adjust the pinion value for the larger size tires.  Thoughts? 

Edited by SavageTusk
Addition

On 9/12/2018 at 8:12 PM, Marcus2000monster said:

I’m switching to Sheaffers next go round

Just for curiosity's sake why sheaffers? Cheaper? I have used some of their other products such as grease but not engine oil. Have heard good things though. 

9 hours ago, Dmaney said:

Just for curiosity's sake why sheaffers? Cheaper? I have used some of their other products such as grease but not engine oil. Have heard good things though. 

Definitely not cheap. 26$ a gallon at local Napa. Dad always ran it in his common rail and sold it with 465k running well. No engine work ever done.