• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Head gasket blown - Coolant leak

• Owner

Happen to be walking by the truck parked in the shop and noticed a small puddle of green coolant. It where its at which is strange. Back at the bellhousing. I know the only freeze plug back there is the block freeze plug but as far as I can see right now there is no coolant coming from that freeze plug but I fear the worst.... Possible head gasket. :doh:

• Sad 2

Sorry to hear that, I guess maybe instead of valve seals you might as well go for the entire head, save yourself a headache and have the head machined for top hat seals. Then you'll be ready for racing again. I'm getting pretty good at disassembling my head, everytime I close valve cover I say I do not want to open this for at least 100k, so far it hasn't been working.

• Owner

I'm on the phone right this second looking for a local machine shop to do the head work and then calling @dieselautopower to see about gaskets and head studs. I really don't want to do the project twice. 

Somewhere on this side of the block. I can't follow the wet trail behind 20180910_110702.jpg

Getting really expensive really quick. I've got a shop that that can service the head completely. I'm looking at a worse case scenario of $1,000 for just the head work doing everything. 

Then DAP for studs...

https://www.dieselautopower.com/arp-12mm-headstud-kit-247-4202

Jacob is suggesting, I ask around the forum for someone's bolt kit from a rebuild were someone used ARP studs and at least get new head bolts. 

Man, I just spent $1,000 on tires last week. I'm in a tight position and this is getting expensive very quickly. :broke:

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Nice and clean, barely any rust. I know what you mean about getting expensive, when I looked in to this Cummins deal I was promised 1000000 ml if I maintained it. I'm getting close to have everything apart once already :lmao:and I haven't even started to get in to body work :wow: :ahhh: and then there may be new wheel bearings, gear box, clutch etc in near future just depends on how much I drive it....or just get in it lol.

• Owner
28 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Nice and clean, barely any rust.

Well taken care of. 

29 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I know what you mean about getting expensive, when I looked in to this Cummins deal I was promised 1000000 ml if I maintained it.

I was hoping for at least 500k miles. @dripley is going have me beat for sure I know he's also looking at head gasket too If I'm not mistaken. 

30 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I'm getting close to have everything apart once already :lmao:and I haven't even started to get in to body work :wow: :ahhh: and then there may be new wheel bearings, gear box, clutch etc in near future just depends on how much I drive it....or just get in it lol.

Heck with all my driving I'm most likely going to be putting a clutch in the truck before too long. Just about got 100k on the transmission since it was rebuilt and the clutch is coming up to about 70k or so.  I've still got the other issue of the power steering reservoir to fix yet. Ugh... :doh:

That’s unfortunate to hear Mike?. I tried to torque my studs back down after mine was spewing oil to no avail. Depending on if the coolant has pushed the gasket out or if it just has enough of a gap to leak studs could possibly fix without a complete tear down. Worth a shot if your buying studs anyways ?. Any radiator fluid on the dip stick?

• Owner
21 minutes ago, JDHudsn said:

Any radiator fluid on the dip stick?

No crossing of fluids. Just coolant leaking outwards at the rear of the head. 

30 minutes ago, CUMMINSDIESELPWR said:

sucks to hear, nothing lasts forever though. once done it will last longer though!

Yeah, it sucks. Being I've still got to get MoparMom to dialysis treatments 3 days a week. That means swapping to the gasser and tearing down the Cummins. Either way it still got to be done. 

• Owner
Just now, 015point9 said:

?Were did you buy that thing you have that you always seem to break down at home?

Action Dodge - Ontario, OR 

Purchase Date: October 26, 2002 - Birthday present!

Actually, I'm very aware of the condition of the truck doing weekly look overs for fluid leaks and damaged parts. Like my list as it stands right now is head gasket, head rebuilt (valve seals), Power Steering reservoir seal, and the rear sway bar links. I might not post every problem I have but I'm aware of everything. 

And yes my head is weeping near the t stat cover. It does not hit the ground, the heat in the motor evaporates the coolant before it can get there. Repair will be coming soon, just not sure when. I noticed it about 15k ago. I do have Mike beat on some stuff but I think most of it is the luck of the draw. I have had my share. But very few of them seem to happen close to home.

3 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

@dripley been cheating and using barsleak tablets to get by

Dosed it one time. It was in the overflow bottle when I changed the coolant a month back, a thick brown almost liquid. It did help but still makes wonder. I did a little extra flushing on that change.