• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Head gasket blown - Coolant leak

• Owner
14 minutes ago, trreed said:

Still have crosshatching?

Yes. Now this one cylinder has a rub mark on the wall. I know what it is. Remember back to the turbo eating a hose clamp. I'm betting a small flake of aluminum compressor wheel made it to this cylinder and rubbed the wall. No groove checked with my thumbnail.

DSCF4451.JPG

DSCF4445.JPG

DSCF4446.JPG

DSCF4447.JPG

DSCF4450.JPG

DSCF4452.JPG

Cap studs are the step in between head bolts and studs there's a few 5 to 600 hp trucks running them around me 

Socket head cap screws are 190k psi vs stock of 165kpsi and arp of 220kpsi and u should be able to get socket head cap screws local make sure there the good ones if u go this way and I have no idea on size but unless someone here has had an issue with them if ur on a budget and no plans on big power I'd run them

• Like 1

• Staff
4 hours ago, CUMMINSDIESELPWR said:

your pistons are really damn clean mike!

Using the two stroke oil for an additive may have something to do with it.... Anyone seen any differences with the head pulled on an engine not using it?

Im getting the oil smoke on startup too, and have seen my valve stem seals just like you show there. If you can let me know exactly what needs done to fix that I would really like to know. D&J Precision Machine had my truck for 3 days to fix it, and afterwards I still have the smoke problem. That's three sets of failed seals.

3 hours ago, rogerash0 said:

Im getting the oil smoke on startup too, and have seen my valve stem seals just like you show there. If you can let me know exactly what needs done to fix that I would really like to know. D&J Precision Machine had my truck for 3 days to fix it, and afterwards I still have the smoke problem. That's three sets of failed seals.

I'm using Ford 4.0l Top Hat style seals on my truck now because I didn't know you could machine the head for regular Cummins top hat seals at a time. 

@Mopar1973Man spend extra money now and get head machine for top hats, don't take chances it's not worth it. We can all see you with twin turbo setup in a couple of years.

• Owner
3 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

We can all see you with twin turbo setup in a couple of years.

Nope, not happening... Not on my budget. 

3 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

spend extra money now and get head machine for top hats, don't take chances it's not worth it.

Might be spending $1,000 to $1,800 just get the head to functional state. 

Then you figure I just spent $950 in tires just the week before. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Yeah I hear you, that's why I drive my little car a lot. I know it's not a question for where you live. But every time I feel like pulling the trigger on something new, I talked to a few more people that have something new and really don't want their headaches and it still costs bunch of money.