• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Head gasket blown - Coolant leak

Pistons and cylinders look awesome. 

A whole lot better than this one with a broken piston.

IMAG0014.jpg

IMAG0011.jpg

Then back together with new pistons.

MVIMG_20171027_161800.jpg

Edited by 04Mach1

• Owner
4 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

that's why I drive my little car a lot.

Wish a had a little car for stuff like that but still come winter time I'm going to need the Cummins to run the 250 mile round trip for MoparMom's dialysis. So now that I've been investing effort into the little 96 Dodge I'm managed to reduce it operational cost considerable. Last two tanks are 20 cents a mile to operate. The Cummins still the winner at 16 cents a mile even though the price of diesel is more than gas. Just don't have the means to pay for another small vehicle, insurance, and registration. 

2 hours ago, IBMobile said:

That's why my run around car is a 95 Volvo wagon.  Cheap to keep.

Being all I can do right now is work 2 days a week Wednesday and Friday. Being Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday I drive 13 hours for MoparMom's dialysis. Not many want to hire me for just 2 days a week. That leaves me doing odd jobs. Since the entire canyon was on fire and people more worried about the fire all my summer income (A/C work) never happened so I'm on a very tight budget. I've got a few tidbits of income but man this whole head gasket thing sure screw my budget up. I do have fall back savings so I'll be able to do the repair, just my personal needs are on hold until the funds are returned.

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Wish a had a little car for stuff like that but still come winter time I'm going to need the Cummins to run the 250 mile round trip for MoparMom's dialysis. So now that I've been investing effort into the little 96 Dodge I'm managed to reduce it operational cost considerable. Last two tanks are 20 cents a mile to operate. The Cummins still the winner at 16 cents a mile even though the price of diesel is more than gas. Just don't have the means to pay for another small vehicle, insurance, and registration. 

Being all I can do right now is work 2 days a week Wednesday and Friday. Being Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday I drive 13 hours for MoparMom's dialysis. Not many want to hire me for just 2 days a week. That leaves me doing odd jobs. Since the entire canyon was on fire and people more worried about the fire all my summer income (A/C work) never happened so I'm on a very tight budget. I've got a few tidbits of income but man this whole head gasket thing sure screw my budget up. I do have fall back savings so I'll be able to do the repair, just my personal needs are on hold until the funds are returned.

Let us know if financial help is necessary. Myself as well as others I’m sure are willing to help.

• Like 1

• Staff

Now is a good time to send in your tax deductable donation for the year if you haven't done so. Thank you members.

Michael Nelson does a terrific job on this site and spends more time helping others in so many ways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Owner

Northwest Machine just called...

Bad news, is the price will be up there at the $1,000 mark for sure. Exhaust guides, exhaust valves, and all valve seals are shot. The problem is the exhaust guides start to get loose and the valve stems are moving around which tore up the exhaust seals for sure. 

Good news, typically the Cummins head is known for cracking but just in the visual inspection, the head is in good condition and past the pressure test with flying colors. 

Now to break open the piggy bank...

Related image

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner
1 hour ago, 015point9 said:

You going to make an article installing them or is there one already?  

I'm going to try to make an article about it. I'll get my camera out to the shop and shoot a few pictures but I'll base it mostly on the ARP documents supplied with the studs. 

1 hour ago, 015point9 said:

Are these for over 500 hp or a good safeguard for anything over stock?

Being I'm playing with high timing and boost pressures ranging in the 40-45 PSI realm I'm playing with fire if I don't do good head studs. I know @dieselautopower mentioned I could do cap stud at a bit lower price. Then he mention that they see guys making 500 HP on stock head bolts with no issues. 

Am I willing to Russian Roulette with the Cummins? Naw, I really don't want to do this job again thank you. Might as well invest in good stud and not have to worry about it for 300-400k miles again and know that the gasket will stay clamped down.

Whether you need studs or not really comes down to timing. Low timing numbers will usually be ok with high boost. Once you start getting to 20+ degrees and high boost is when you’ll be playing with fire and have the potential to pop a head gasket. 

Edited by trreed
  • Thanks 1

• Owner

I've got to public say "Thank You" to @dieselautopower and staff for pulling off the shipping in a timely manner so I had all the parts here for putting the head back on the truck. Gasket kit showed yesterday and the studs as well. Jacob and staff "Thank You" for the quick service and getting the parts here in a quick fashion. 

Now I just got to go get the head from Northwest Machine today and bring it home.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I've got to public say "Thank You" to @dieselautopower and staff for pulling off the shipping in a timely manner so I had all the parts here for putting the head back on the truck. Gasket kit showed yesterday and the studs as well. Jacob and staff "Thank You" for the quick service and getting the parts here in a quick fashion. 

Now I just got to go get the head from Northwest Machine today and bring it home.

You are very welcome.  Glad you are getting closer.

Great, so the head I got from d&j is probably a bad core they didn't catch. I pretty well figured that. I'm not really the type to kick and scream so now I drive a truck that blows burnt oil from every stop light. It looked hella coked up on the valve stems too thru the exhaust manifold when the mileage wasn't even much. Good luck /w your new head.