• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

correct me if im wrong but it is common and i should hear the squeak of the fan belt /pulley as my truck is shut off right ?.....can anyone tell me why i would no longer hear this ..aside from the obvious belt broke/missing .....everything else seems to b ok ( i hope:pray::pray::pray:)

Every truck I know of does it, besides mine anyways. Think my idle is so low it doesn't have enough speed to do it. Anyhow, what's happening is the engine is still turning when you shut it off and it doesn't have enough momentum to complete that final compression stroke, so it compresses and springs back, but it does this very quickly, so fast it jerks the belt. The CR trucks seem to have cured this but anything before that seems to do it all the time or some of the time or not at all. It's perfectly normal.

• Like 2

Yeah it's just kind of a luck thing. I thought mine would do it if I revved it up but I just shut it off at 1000rpm and it still didn't do it. Maybe if I grease the belt a little it will :lol: My brother had a 94 that did it religiously. I think I have only heard mine do it 5 times since I have owned it. Maybe you have to have optimal compression for it to do it, since mine is probably nowhere near optimal anymore, tells why mine never does it. I still wouldn't worry about it. Like jlwelding showed, just the belt design/age can influence it. I think even belt tension would influence it. Not sure if the tensioner really wears out over time or not. :shrug:

well with my luck it prolly has to do with compression ...high or good compression =squeak ....low compression no squeak ..and the tension prolly all wore out:thud::truck:

No you can't use belt squeak as an indicator of that stuff :lol: Don't worry about it at all. Think you were kidding there but just had to make sure.

• Owner

correct me if im wrong but it is common and i should hear the squeak of the fan belt /pulley as my truck is shut off right ?.....can anyone tell me why i would no longer hear this ..aside from the obvious belt broke/missing .....everything else seems to b ok ( i hope:pray::pray::pray:)

It a power chirp... Something only Cummins has... :lmao2::lmao: Actually its totally normal and its caused from the engine stopping faster than the belt and CHIRP!...
  • Like 1

i have customers religiously ask me about the belt squeak, even had a truck towed in once over it. i then teach the cummins power chirp and how special it is this makes them happy occassionaly at 65.00 a pop if they argue with me over it. (the customer is always right, except when there wrong)

lol power sqeak huh.....i must not have any power left...mine hasnt done it for a looong time

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

chirp ..i meant power chip ....dang heat has me delirious...especially after fighting a fire

It a power chirp... Something only Cummins has... :lmao2::lmao:

Actually its totally normal and its caused from the engine stopping faster than the belt and CHIRP!...

exactly:thumbup2::smart::woot:

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

when the engine stops..the belt chirps..because like mike said engine stops faster than the belt...number 6 comes up..stops...and chiiirps.:thumbup2:

ahhh i hate belt dressing, people coat there cracked up stretched out belts in this crap and then come ask if ill install a new belt, its like trying to wrap a belt around a glue type rat trap, dont do it a belt is not that expensive!!!:cry:

ok so apperently i need to look at the belt and the tensioner to see which might need replaced ....I dont mind the sound of the chirp ..i am not trying to get rid of it ....trying to find out why mine no longer makes that sound