• Welcome Guest To Mopar1973Man.Com

We are a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel forum. We are very friendly and helpful group of Dodge Ram Cummins owners. We will try to keep your truck running the best we can and provide information for diagnostics, repairs and even guide you on the best replacement parts to use. 

Registration is free. Registering on the site will provide access to many more things like...

• Contribute to the Forum being able to ask questions and get support for your Dodge Ram Cummins.
    • Contribute to Article Database adding your ideas and suggestions.
    • Classified Ads posted by the members. Post up your used parts and vehicles.
    • Member Garage where you can proudly display your vehicles and modifications that you have done to them.
    • Download files, documents, and Quadzilla Adrenaline tunes for your truck.
    • 911 Support Network. We've got a group of members will to aid you if your truck breaks down on the road.
    • Reduced Advertisements displayed to you.

I just finished installing my 4" Turbo back exhaust on the new truck today.  When I was done, I went for a spin and noticed I have no mph being displayed on the Quadzilla.  I didn't check it before so don't know if this is the issue or not.  Speedo is fine on the truck, what am I missing? 

The key does not show everything on 99. A code scanner is your best bet.

• Thanks 1

Hmm well I have errors, no check engine light though, which is strange. 

I've replaced the map sensor already, no change.  I wonder if I have a bad ecu?  I'll google some more. 

what does your oil pressure sensor read key on engine off? key on engine on?   

sounds like you have a short in one of the 5v bus.  since you where messing with the exhaust I would be checking the rear sensor wiring.

All zero till I start driving.  Then it reads correctly, but at idle, drops to zero again.  Now that is just on the dash display.  Manually tested with a gauge on top of the oil filter and that reads properly.

look at the quad display it will show you what the ecm is reporting.   IF it is reporting 0 psi at idle then the sensor is likely shot. 

42 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

look at the quad display it will show you what the ecm is reporting.   IF it is reporting 0 psi at idle then the sensor is likely shot. 

It reports 0 at idle.  Normal when driving.

Edited by SavageTusk

I made new grounds and terminal lugs today while I fixed the ground Reference for the VP44,ECM,PCM,PDC

Another oddity to throw in besides the codes,1693, 0237, 0501, 0522 & 0573 sometimes the coolant will display on the Quadzilla as -40*:clap: 

So the issues are:

-Erratic behavior on Oil pressure & coolant

-No MPH

Question.  I have another '99 outside, if this is a ecu problem could I plug that one on this truck? :shrug:

Edited by SavageTusk
Correction

coolant reading -40 is semi normal if temp comes above 205*f as the highest the ecm will report via j1939 is 204*f then it wraps to -40*f

Well it seems like this is an issue with the ECM,  I tested it in my other 99 dodge I'm getting ready to sell and it immediately ran TERRIBLY.  I'm talking with Bob Wagner over at Smarty and it looks like at one time had a Van Aaken or edge box added to the truck via the ECM port.  I'm trying to get this repaired/reflashed.  Hopefully I can put this to bed soon.

Does anyone else have experience with flashing ECMs (Updating VIN, flashing software to the eeprom)?

Thanks @Dieselfuture , I shipped it off to Bob Wagner from Smarty "bob-wagner@msn.com".  For $115 he can repair and reprogram the ECM with the updated OEM software and my VIN.  I should have it back Monday and hopefully some good news to share!

• Like 1

On 9/24/2018 at 1:57 PM, Me78569 said:

Not entirely correct:

99 RAM CUMMINS is reporting 0 psi @ IDLE, There was software update on Cummins diesel ECU Between 2000 - 2001.5 which shows true atmospheric pressure 14.70 pounds per square inch @ sea level.

my 2¢...

Oh I just re-read the tread, I thought you guys are talking about map sensor.

Beer probably isn’t helping here either:)

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Well ecu back and a lot running well with the new software, oil pressure is working now.  However, I can't figure out why the Quadzilla won't read mph.  Still 0.  Speedo works on the Instrument cluster but nothing on the Quadzilla.  I guess I'll try a new map sensor?  Truck runs great, just no mph :mad:

Edited by SavageTusk

On 9/23/2018 at 10:02 PM, Me78569 said:

Iquad used the ecm reported speed so if you have no mph then the issue is likely in the wiring.

So 45 on the ecm ends up going to the pcm (grey/black). What I don't understand is why the speedometer works and the quadzilla does not receive a signal.  What harness on the quadzilla reads the speed?

Screenshot_20181009-220643_Chrome.jpg

That is tachometer signal not road speed. Road speed is reported over the CCD network from the ABS to ECM. Another way to tell also is if the ECM do not receive speed info from CCD the grid heater will continue to cycle after 20 MPH.

Yep, the cluster is getting speed via the CCD bus, the ecm may or may not get that message for any number of reasons.

• Like 1