• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Engine stumbles

Interesting. 

I’m in Canada. 

All my 12v injectors - VE as well as P have always been POP’d 10% higher, both stock and larger/worked units. 

No issues starting in 0F without grids. 

The slightly higher POP does help with atomization. 

Timing, injection event and duration all play a role. 

I was running 250's  or whatever you call 7 x .012's   

the 330 bar helped with smoke control, but I still had to pull duration down by ~%30 offidle to run smoke free. 

1 minute ago, ofelas said:

Interesting. 

I’m in Canada. 

All my 12v injectors - VE as well as P have always been POP’d 10% higher, both stock and larger/worked units. 

No issues starting in 0F without grids. 

The slightly higher POP does help with atomization. 

Timing, injection event and duration all play a role. 

whats stock bar on ve pumps?  ~250 bar for vs and ~270 bar for ppump?     even at %10 above that you are well below where I was seeing issues.

Well I have tried everything and can't get rid of fthe bucking. I've replaced injectors with the stock ones and still does it, disconnected the Quadzilla and still does it, did the apps relearn and no help. So I'm down to the Vp44 now. So I'm going to replace it and see what happens. I have read alot of forums and the one thing that keeps being said over and over. No codes and bucking. So I will keep you posted. As far as having the injectors poped to 330, I'm very pleased with the idle, smoke is non existent unless I want.it, and so far my milage has increased by 3 mpg. All this with the pump acting up. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just a question. 

You guys having the issues, what are your idles like?

The reason I am asking this my old truck with ddp 150's and current truck with DAP injectors, the idle was/is erratic. I always attributed that to a little more fuel. You can hear it but doesn't register on anything. 

Now, my old truck with DFI 100's and my old fun truck with DFI 6x13's were utter sewing machines. Flawless idle. 

Aaaaand the fun truck was beyond heavily fueled for a 24v. 

My current truck with the DAP's will idle ok for a while but then gets scribble scrabble for a bit then back ok. Similar to old ddp 150's.

Another question. 

How did this issue start out? Was it it gradual then got worse? Or full blown somethings wrong?

The reason I am asking this. I have started noticing a sensation when not driving on cruise control that is similar to driving into a head wind that lets up for a bit then you get hit again. The fuel pressure is usually fine but that damn FASS pump is another story.

It does not do this on cruise control so I am thinking something apps related...hopefully. 

On 12/8/2018 at 11:59 PM, mossyoak71 said:

Well I have tried everything and can't get rid of fthe bucking. I've replaced injectors with the stock ones and still does it, disconnected the Quadzilla and still does it, did the apps relearn and no help. So I'm down to the Vp44 now. So I'm going to replace it and see what happens. I have read alot of forums and the one thing that keeps being said over and over. No codes and bucking. So I will keep you posted. As far as having the injectors poped to 330, I'm very pleased with the idle, smoke is non existent unless I want.it, and so far my milage has increased by 3 mpg. All this with the pump acting up. 

your 7x.012 are set to 330 bar correct? Have you noticed an increase in spool up?

28 minutes ago, Ben said:

Just a question. 

You guys having the issues, what are your idles like?

The reason I am asking this my old truck with ddp 150's and current truck with DAP injectors, the idle was/is erratic. I always attributed that to a little more fuel. You can hear it but doesn't register on anything. 

Now, my old truck with DFI 100's and my old fun truck with DFI 6x13's were utter sewing machines. Flawless idle. 

Aaaaand the fun truck was beyond heavily fueled for a 24v. 

My current truck with the DAP's will idle ok for a while but then gets scribble scrabble for a bit then back ok. Similar to old ddp 150's.

Sounds dumb but I noticed a similar issue with my idle when my injectors were popping off low, but it was also effected by my smarty settings.

Increasing the duration to much would replicate the idle you speak of. I suspect it is because the VP-44 is pumping ever so slightly more fuel until the idle pop is pushed forward until the engine burps out the excess fuel from the injector lines. I've noticed this issue is less prevalent when the Duration REVO is lower, if i set it too low to where i run out of fuel on heavy acceleration then the issue goes away completely.

I'm unsure if this is an issue in general since the VP trucks have the ability to control fueling. Then again this is just a theory.

13 minutes ago, pepsi71ocean said:

your 7x.012 are set to 330 bar correct? Have you noticed an increase in spool up?

Sounds dumb but I noticed a similar issue with my idle when my injectors were popping off low, but it was also effected by my smarty settings.

Increasing the duration to much would replicate the idle you speak of. I suspect it is because the VP-44 is pumping ever so slightly more fuel until the idle pop is pushed forward until the engine burps out the excess fuel from the injector lines. I've noticed this issue is less prevalent when the Duration REVO is lower, if i set it too low to where i run out of fuel on heavy acceleration then the issue goes away completely.

I'm unsure if this is an issue in general since the VP trucks have the ability to control fueling. Then again this is just a theory.

All I have are injectors. No electronics. 

The other trucks were straight smarty 9 and 8.

11 minutes ago, Ben said:

All I have are injectors. No electronics. 

The other trucks were straight smarty 9 and 8.

Is it all injectors, I'm kinda confused? I don't know if my smarty makes it worse and its already there. When I get my truck back in running condition I'll have to pull the smarty and see if there is a lope. I do know my truck knocks the no1 cylinder is slightly off, but It's been that way since I bought the truck at 44,000 miles.

35 minutes ago, pepsi71ocean said:

Is it all injectors, I'm kinda confused? I don't know if my smarty makes it worse and its already there. When I get my truck back in running condition I'll have to pull the smarty and see if there is a lope. I do know my truck knocks the no1 cylinder is slightly off, but It's been that way since I bought the truck at 44,000 miles.

@pepsi71ocean

Current truck stock with DAP injectors only. No electronics.

Old truck was a myriad of combos but final one was DFI 100's,Super B, Smarty 9, TST Comp

Little fun truck was Dragonfire Pump, DFI 6x13's, Edge Juice Hot, Smarty 8, S366 over HT4B. 

All manual transmissions. 

The DFI trucks with the Smarty idled flawlessly. 

On 1/5/2019 at 2:51 PM, pepsi71ocean said:

They do spool the twins quicker, I just ordered a VP44, so hopefully it will be here Friday so I can get it in this weekend. It is starting to feel like I'm back in my rodeo days. 

My truck idles fine, and revs fine, it's just the constant speed it wants to buck. Give it the go pedal and it stops.

Edited by mossyoak71

8 hours ago, mossyoak71 said:

My truck idles fine, and revs fine, it's just the constant speed it wants to buck. Give it the go pedal and it stops.

I'm curious about end result, I had pretty much the same issue with mine and between fixing the alternator and changing injectors so far it's been good to me.

2 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I'm curious about end result, I had pretty much the same issue with mine and between fixing the alternator and changing injectors so far it's been good to me.

I've done all the above, only thing left is the VP. I have blueish smoke and black smoke most of the time. Even with the Quad I can not stop it from smoking. So we will see come this weekend, fingers crossed

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mossyoak71 said:

I've done all the above, only thing left is the VP. I have blueish smoke and black smoke most of the time. Even with the Quad I can not stop it from smoking. So we will see come this weekend, fingers crossed

Blueish smoke isn't a good sign by any means, I'm unsure where your getting your oil burn from. What is your compression at, and have you done a leak down test yet?

4 minutes ago, pepsi71ocean said:

Blueish smoke isn't a good sign by any means, I'm unsure where your getting your oil burn from. What is your compression at, and have you done a leak down test yet?

It's not an oil burn I've done all the other checks everything is fine valve stem seals or fine and it's not a blue smoke is just you know almost like a haze constantly it's either hazing or black I did it compression check when I first put the engine in and they were all 6 cylinders were within 20 psi and they are all in the 490 range. So we'll see what the deal is when the VP gets here

Edited by mossyoak71

Well the new VP44 is in, and it runs alot better. I have to change some of the program to take fuel away, but so much smoother now. Haven't hooked up the wire tap yet, so when it gets to around 45 to 50 psi it wants to buck, but I think that's the lack of fuel, I hope. One question I do have is my Fass titanium is putting out 20 psi. Should I set this at around 16? Is 20 too tight? Thanks for all the help and comments ?

• Like 1

My AD has been sitting on 20 at idle for 8 years, I doubt that will cause a problem on yours, Of course you can turn it down with no issues, just be sure you keep it at 14 psi minimum. Keeps full fuel flow thru the VP.  

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1