• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Let's talk about shocks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff
10 hours ago, portlandareae28 said:

How do you feel this affects the track bar, steering, alignment, etc.?

It will slightly shift the axle, but I can’t notice it like I could with my 2”. 

I haven’t noticed anything with the steering, or alignment and the ride is 10x better than with the 2” spacer. 

1 hour ago, AH64ID said:

It will slightly shift the axle, but I can’t notice it like I could with my 2”. 

I haven’t noticed anything with the steering, or alignment and the ride is 10x better than with the 2” spacer. 

I will have to see if I can measure the ones that came out of my truck.  I bet they are 2”

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2019 at 7:08 AM, portlandareae28 said:

How do you feel this affects the track bar, steering, alignment, etc.?

Sorry for the delay. I went from a 2in spacer to a 1in spacer from daystar and I didn’t need to adjust anything other then the steering wheel alignment. Everything else felt the same.

A couple years ago I got the bilstien yellow/blue shocks on special from Geno's garage "Shocktober" 

The rear is fine but I immediately noticed that the front was super stiff. I mean REAL hard. Like every bump was as if the truck had no suspension at all. BAM BAM BAM!  I wanted to send them back but in my research I could not find any other bilstien variation for this truck .

So was like "screw it" and I just left them on the truck. Fast forward one year now they are fine. It's like they broke in and now they are softer not super soft. Truck does not bounce.  I've never heard of shocks breaking in, but that's what it's seems like.

Next time around I am not going with bilstien. I know they have a huge following and great reputation but I like a soft ride without bounce.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 2

• Staff

I have the KYBMono Max on my truck that hauls the camper. They helped with reducing sway and are soft only when the truck is loaded with the slide in camper.

My other truck got the KYB standard factory replacement. No upgrade, just OEM grade basically. They ride very nice for the two years now. Nice break from spending money on the expensive shocks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Owner

Still, in all, the Factory shocks, I had lasted a 150k miles were just weeping oil. The Rancho's that I had last well over 150k miles and never leaked oil at all but lost the gas charge. Now on the KYB Gas A Just shocks and still doing awesome. I'll most likely ditch the shock sooner like 100k miles and freshen up. Shocks seem to degrade slowly and create issues without you really noticing.  

Ive put Thuren coils on several different dodges over the years and when i came across a good deal on a used set the other day, i snagged them up. I had a set of his white body shocks and coils on my last 98 and they were better than the worn out monroe's that i pulled off. I got a set of fox 2.0 piggy back shocks from John Fack and sent those back to fox for a rebuild, then they went on the 2012 with Thuren coils. Again, they were better than the stock shocks they replaced butI should have sent them to Thuren but didnt know he would rebuild them at the time. This time I went with Carli's signature series and these things are the best yet! My stock springs had rubber boosters between the coils and worn out kyb shocks so it road like a wagon. Between the 2" Thuren coils and the Carli shocks, this thing rides like a dream!

• Staff
1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Now on the KYB Gas A Just shocks and still doing awesome. 

My Jeep came with these, brand new too. 

I can't blame the shocks completely as I've never driven it without these shocks but I am shocked at how harsh the ride is for how soft the suspension is. To me it feels like cheap crappy shocks, but it will take time to tell as I'm likely not going to swap them out anytime soon. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm considering the Sachs 310 178 shocks for the front of my truck. I'm currently running the Bilstein 4600's but they are just too stiff. 

My truck is 2wd Independent front suspension, so I'm looking for a shock that will simply allow the suspension to travel and return in response to road conditions and dampen without bounce.

On 12/29/2018 at 11:00 AM, AH64ID said:

AH64ID:  Did you install the lift for handling purposes? or just to level it out?  The back of my truck currently sits about 2 1/2" higher in the back compared to front. (Sitting on level concrete - measured front and back from the spot welded pinch seam (which runs straight along the bottom of our trucks) to level ground.  

I'm considering Top Gun's 2" level kit for the 2wd (They don't make a 1" kit for the 2wd).  https://www.topguncustomz.com/2-inchleveling-kit-front-steel-1994-2017-dodge-ram-1500-2500-3500-2wd.html?Session_ID=e26dc85c34caea0c3cffdbe40d8fcac7

• Owner
17 hours ago, Ironforger said:

My truck is 2wd Independent front suspension, so I'm looking for a shock that will simply allow the suspension to travel and return in response to road conditions and dampen without bounce.

Might try the Rancho 5100 those did very well for me for over 150k miles. The KYB Gas-A-Just are doing good as well 

7 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Might try the Rancho 5100 those did very well for me for over 150k miles. The KYB Gas-A-Just are doing good as well 

Thanks Moparman!  Are the Ranch 5100's soft?  My priority is to find a good soft shock which allows the suspension to fully travel but dampens without bounce.   As it is now, my Bilstein 4600's as so stiff that they actually impeded free movement of the suspension. 

• Staff
18 hours ago, Ironforger said:

AH64ID:  Did you install the lift for handling purposes? or just to level it out? 

80% added ground clearance for the oil pan, and 20% looks. 

The 2” had a negative effect on my ride, but the 2WD suspension is quite different. 

• 1 month later...

Update,

I installed the Sachs 310178 shocks on the font of my 02 dodge 3500 independent suspension truck. I'm very pleased with the results. Nice feel, not too stiff, not too soft.  Does not bounce or bobble.  I

I like these much better than the bilstien shocks (which are way too stiff).

I'd like to point out that this particular sachs shock will fit 1994 - 2002  1500, 2500 and 3500 dodge trucks.

I may sell the bilstiens if anyone interested. less than 2 years old, about 6000 miles on them.