• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Buying a rolled over truck.

• Owner
11 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

The guy has maintenance records on it. 

It worry’s me how easy it is to throw a lower mileage odometer in and get away with it. But either way if properly maintained and driven daily it’s going to last a while. 

Back in the 70's the odometer wheels where held in with a clip. You just took the cluster out. 2 screws on the speedometer. Popped the clip and spun the numbers where you wanted. Re-assembled. Took about an hour to do. Yeah, I lost 2 speedometers in my old 1973 Dodge Charger. I got really good at reset odometers back in the day. That car left my care at 336,xxx miles about 4 years ago.

I grew up in the time of points and timing lights. Most of the pups here never had the fun of playing with a Mallory Dual Point Distributor.

Image result for mallory dual point distributor

Edited by Mopar1973Man

1 hour ago, Marcus2000monster said:

I don’t need to go any faster than 80 mph I just want fuel econmy and a quieter truck at hwy speed.

Like I said Only once chasing a big truck on a 2 lane highway where there was only us two, and he was pulling away from me steadily!  I like cruise at just under speed limit like 72 some I don't catch up to slow moving truck to fast and those that run a little faster than the limit don't come up on me to fast.  Does you Oil gauge move to like 40psi when you turn you key too on?

Edited by Blueox01

13 minutes ago, Blueox01 said:

Like I said Only once chasing a big truck on a 2 lane highway where there was only us two, and he was pulling away from me steadily!  I like cruise at just under speed limit like 72 some I don't catch up to slow moving truck to fast and those that run a little faster than the limit don't come up on me to fast.  Does you Oil gauge move to like 40psi when you turn you key too on?

I’ll have to look and see later

30 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Back in the 70's the odometer wheels where held in with a clip. You just took the cluster out. 2 screws on the speedometer. Popped the clip and spun the numbers where you wanted. Re-assembled. Took about an hour to do. Yeah, I lost 2 speedometers in my old 1973 Dodge Charger. I got really good at reset odometers back in the day. That car left my care at 336,xxx miles about 4 years ago.

I grew up in the time of points and timing lights. Most of the pups here never had the fun of playing with a Mallory Dual Point Distributor.

Image result for mallory dual point distributor

Cool beans, So you remember when engines were measured in Cu.In and all the fasteners were SAE, What was in your 73' Charger 383, 440?

Edited by Blueox01
Spelling error

• Owner
Just now, Blueox01 said:

Cool beans, So you remember when engines were measured in Cu.In and all the fasteners were SAE, What was in you 73' Charger 383, 440?

Yes sir. Originally it was a 400 CID engine Dad sludged it up pretty badly. I had a custom 383 CID built bolted on a 727 Torqueflite 3 speed. I'm one of the few here that remembers the point tune kit. Book of matches. Sad to say that old school knowledge is no longer even used anymore. I tend to like the electronics realm of the 24V and above. There is way more to power to get out of the engine with tuning.  

Even with the old school 1996 I'm rocking 40 degrees of timing and nearly touching 18 MPG. I know the display below didn't fire this time.

Capture+_2018-12-10-11-08-35.png

7 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Yes sir. Originally it was a 400 CID engine Dad sludged it up pretty badly. I had a custom 383 CID built bolted on a 727 Torqueflite 3 speed. I'm one of the few here that remembers the point tune kit. Book of matches. Sad to say that old school knowledge is no longer even used anymore. I tend to like the electronics realm of the 24V and above. There is way more to power to get out of the engine with tuning.  

Even with the old school 1996 I'm rocking 40 degrees of timing and nearly touching 18 MPG. I know the display below didn't fire this time.

Capture+_2018-12-10-11-08-35.png

I kinda miss those days, some of this knew tech boggles my mind, maybe I should try and spend more time learning it.

• Staff
1 hour ago, Marcus2000monster said:

I personaaly would much rather own a old vehicle with medium to high miles that is in good shape

Right now my 2000 ram with 109k is one of my newer vehicles with the lowest mileage.  

1990 Astro van with 334k+  work van

1991 Volvo 940 sedan over 300k

1995 Volvo 940 wagon 186k  my daily driver

2001 Volvo S60 sedan 194k

2001 Volvo S80 sedan 170K 

1 hour ago, dripley said:

A match book was a good tool. You could gap and clean up a set of points. Very versatile and cheap too.

I installed so many back in the day that I could 'eye ball' it and get it with in a degree or two when checked with a dwell meter.

Rule of thumb  for single set of points: 8cyl 30°,  6cyl 45°,  4cyl 60° or point gap ~.016".  As the points wore and the gap decreased the dwell increased and the timing retarded. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dripley said:

I see what you are saying. I have a cluster at home that came off a wrecked I bought 9 years ago. That truck had a 133k on it. If I put it in my truck now as I did then it shows 133k on the odo. Makes you not want to believe the odo on any of them. Pretty sure the ECM holds the true mileage, but when you send an ECM off for rebuild they ask for the mileage which I assume is to program the rebuilt one to show the true mileage. Lots a trust going on on that one. 

Pretty sure mileage is stored in dash cluster only, there was a video here not long ago with a guy reprogramming one on the table. Not sure why they ask for mileage when programing. 

But yeah it's hard to believe the mileage on a used truck unless you can kinda tell who is selling it. 

15 hours ago, dripley said:

I was to say a bit surprised when I put that cluster and it read the donors truck mileage and not mine. At the time mine had 217k on it and would have been pretty easy to have left it there and reaped a lower mileage truck. But thats not me. I am sure it is someone elses MO though. Not sure how many folks know how easy that is to do.

When I used to go to car actions back in the day, I've seen quite a few same cars over the time and some of them milage changed back a few times. Funniest thing is some of the dealers bought that same car back that they sold, never understood that. All I know is most of them are crooks. 

12 hours ago, Blueox01 said:

Cool beans, So you remember when engines were measured in Cu.In and all the fasteners were SAE, What was in your 73' Charger 383, 440?

My friends dad used to come and get me out of Sunday school and take me to SIR to watch his son run his 1970 Hemi Challenger.  

I was eventually allowed to clean the Rubber off the Quarter panels!!  Those were the days.  Eventually I went to work for him at his machine shop.  Good education.

Michael

His Dad would let me drive his 64 300 on the race track road course when it was closed.   It had an rectangular steering wheel.  Looked like a 14 in TV Screen.

Edited by int3man
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1