• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Can't sleep bad ideas in my head

Ravewolf

So I have a horrible sinus infection which lead to inner ear infections on BOTH ears, and has generally been a shitty experience. My right ear drum popped from pressure, my left one is trying, and everything is muffled. I can't work right now, so I'm home, stuck inside, waiting for the antibiotics to work. In the meantime I've slept too much and now have become a night owl. Thus I think too much lol. 

Anyway, rambling aside, here's my idea/question. 

I like my truck, but it's not exactly everything I want. I've also been jonesing for a nice longbed square body Chevy. But I only have room for one truck in my life right now. Thus, the idea. 

I'm wondering how hard it would be to mount a sc/lb Chevy body on my dodge frame. I keep all the bulletproof and nice suspension (my truck came with a Carli 3" lift), plus my engine, trans, tcase, and a wicked rear end. I gain easy body part availability, and can build a square body from a magazine pretty much. 

My only hangup is how to get the 24v to work with the Chevy body. Gauges are no problem. I can run my fuel pump off a switch, and my grid heaters as well. But getting the ECM to work right is my question. Will it have to be reprogrammed to run stand alone? Now, you're probably asking "Rave, why go through all that when you could swap a 12v in it and be done"? Well, because I don't want to lose my programmer for one(I flipping love my quadzilla), everyone else has already done it, and mainly because I have everything other than a clean body. Fabrication doesn't scare me,but I've been bit by Chrysler and their pita electronics a few times, and they taint everything they touch. 

But if this is an absolute **** idea, tell me. If not, well, I'll look for a clean Chevy body lol.

• Staff

To be honest with you I myself wouldn't do it. Somethings would be best left alone so you can spend your time on things less expensive/ troublesome and have simpler living. :thumb1: Like target practicing on chickens.

9 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

To be honest with you I myself wouldn't do it. Somethings would be best left alone so you can spend your time on things less expensive/ troublesome and have simpler living. :thumb1: Like target practicing on chickens.

Good point. Eh,maybe in the future when i hit the lottery Ill build something like this lol. As for chimkins,man,they dont hold up to a .357 well lol.

4 hours ago, Ravewolf said:

What am I missing? 

I am "the chcken man". Check the avatar. I am also a construction superintendent and for the past 20 years have built 40 or so Chick-fil-a's. 

5 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Do they have buckshot pressure gauges? And good pop off pressures?:lol:

12 gauge with excellent "poop" off pressure.

My next job is a BBQ restaraunt, but they do chicken also.

• Staff

It's become  tradition that we harass the Chicken man from time to time.

2 hours ago, dripley said:

My next job is a BBQ restaraunt, but they do chicken also.

Does CFA own that one too?

12 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Does CFA own that one too?

Negative. It is a Jim and Nicks. 

https://www.jimnnicks.com

Think it is our first one. The construction manager and I built several CFA's together when he worked for them several years back.

12 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

It's become  tradition that we harass the Chicken man from time to time.

They become quite good at it I might add.

• Owner
23 hours ago, JAG1 said:

To be honest with you I myself wouldn't do it.

I tend to agree... The 24V Cummins is not a good one for retro fits. Yeah it can be done but there is a lot to do with the electronics and making them work right. Yeah the ECM will work as a stand-alone but all diagnostic info will be gone. Need the PCM for the CCD network and then you need the instrument cluster for the Bias voltage for the bus. Then you need the ABs computer for speed signal for cruise control. The whole thing starts falling apart quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

How much of the instrument cluster is really needed?  Could it physically fit in a small box tucked under the dash?  Running a manual transmission I would've thought this would not be a difficult swap; seems I would've thought wrong!

I miss my '77 C20.

• 4 months later...
  • Staff
7 hours ago, Evan said:

I thought those were womens legs in red leggings

Nope, that's Dripleys color after some -20 degree winters... keep in mind there's no feathers down there.

My opinion is the second gen body style is a nice look in the front and sides. I think will be a classic someday as it looks better than most all other trucks attempting to compete in different styles today.

Edited by JAG1

• 1 month later...

ok this reply might get me banned.... and I don't care... chevy body on anything dodge..... jeeezuss ... yep mopar is crap... stuff is absolute junk especially electrics, been like this for years but chevy....... come on or fraud, I imported into the uk a 54 dodge job rated a while ago.... sold it straight away as someone had put a 350 in it which I did know about before I bought it.

In the UK there is a weekend at Santa Pod raceway for the Mopar Euronationals, last weekend of July, I used to have a stand there when importing, I threw a guantlet to all with my 3500 that I could drag any passenger truck around the place on a chain even up the drag strip and if the truck was Euro I'd go 2 x ... no one stepped up

AND I'm with jag.... 2nd gen looks just right but was built by donkeys

• Like 3

• Staff

Much better to have to bullet proof a single Dodge than to try and marry two that can't/ may not get along with each other and then have to bullet proof them together. I know when young nothin stops you. I was that way where if something was tough, I got even more motivated. However, there is a time when enough of what you want will be too much and I think this is one of those times. Keep it simple.

Edited by JAG1

• Owner
14 hours ago, wil440 said:

AND I'm with jag.... 2nd gen looks just right but was built by donkeys

There is truth in that statement. I'll admit it freely being I deal with it daily. 

As for Ford or Chevy you are trading on problem for another. Sad part is the electrics have to follow to be right. Nothing to gain. Then if you ditch it then it get even worse with diagnostic being broke and OBDII plug no longer. Then all the other thing trying to make it work. Body is a body. But making the Cummins work in another body fully is near impossible to keep all the functions working completely.

Edited by Mopar1973Man