• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Left me stranded today

Well today I had made a stop at the local fast food place for lunch...a mistake I guess. I came out and started the truck and she idled for a couple minutes..gave a shudder and shut down..no re start. Will crank but no start. I replaced the transfer pump w/fass a year ago. Acts like she's not getting fuel. What is in the tank on these? just a fuel gauge and fuel pick up? The transfer pump is running but I am wondering about the "draw straw" that I have heard about. Do they go bad, break off, What should my next step be? Thanks in advance. Randy

• Owner

Not uncommon to have the fuel gauge showe better than a half tank and run dry on you... Almost happen to me... My fuel pressure gauge bouncing around was the clue that I was starting to run out...

So...

[*]Put 10 gallons of fuel in the Tank

[*]Reprime the system

[*]Check your fuel pressure..

My truck engine will die at 1/3 of a tank indicated on the fuel gauge. I discovered this gross inaccuracy of the gauge sending unit the hard way, run dry in the middle of nowhere. 10 gallons of fuel and a fuel system priming, she fired right up.

Well here is more info to digest, and thanks for all of your replies so far.Ok here goes, I did the key diagnosis all I got was the companion code / odometerI went to our local Auto-Zone and got the Actron OBII reader, I got a 1688 and a 1689 code with both pending. I cleared the codes and checked again and got 1688, (ZP44 Electronic failure). What does this mean? Is my VP44 dead or is there a repair I can make.I also checked fuel pressure and have 28 psi with my Fass pump.Also I have a full tank of fuelThanks again for your response/help. Randy

Well here is more info to digest, and thanks for all of your replies so far. Ok here goes, I did the key diagnosis all I got was the companion code / odometer I went to our local Auto-Zone and got the Actron OBII reader, I got a 1688 and a 1689 code with both pending. I cleared the codes and checked again and got 1688, (ZP44 Electronic failure). What does this mean? Is my VP44 dead or is there a repair I can make. I also checked fuel pressure and have 28 psi with my Fass pump. Also I have a full tank of fuel Thanks again for your response/help. Randy

P1688 Internal Fuel Injection Pump Controller Failure P1689 No Communication Between ECM & Injection Pump Module I think it is a safe assumption that your VP-44 is done.

Mike, Diesel auto power was the least expensive so far, I have a larger air intake, 5"exhaust, Bully dog programmer. Would it behoove me to upgrade the injectors? if so which size would work best with the stock VP44. I think my year is 235 hp stock??? or is the 215 hp.Is the HO pump approved for my year with the upgrades I have or should I stick with the stock pump. Lots of questions I know but don't want to make a $$mistake. Thanks Randy

If you could post the year, transmission, and engine data plate info. it would be helpful in recommending the correct pump.

--- Update to the previous post...

This is the cheapest standard output VP-44 I could find and it has free shipping.

http://shops.godaddy.com/Ozark-Diesel/Bosch-Reman-VP44027-Fuel-Injection-Pump/?plv=false

This is one of the most common pumps used. We still need the nitty gritty info. on your truck to make sure it is the correct pump to replace your bad one.

Here is the truck info2000 CTD 2 WD Automatic transVIN# IB7KC2363YJ178907Engine # 56654198Mod 215So with my "lite mods" listed above should I stick with the stock pump....my thought is yesAs always your comments are welcome, and Thanks R

You just will need the "Standard Output" or SO VP44. If you get the "High Output" one, it won't work on yours as it is designed to work with the 245HP trucks that came with the 6 speed tranny. TheDieselStore.com is probably the best deal imho and they do a pretty good job rebuilding them I hear. They used to be called Midwest Fuel Injection until they changed the name.

I believe the standard output (SO) injector pump is the correct pump for your truck since it has the automatic trans. This pump is the most common and came on automatic and 5 speed manual equipped trucks. Randy, I thought you said you already have a FASS installed? The 28 psi is too high a pressure and you need to adjust that down to around 18 psi. BEFORE you make ANY fuel pressure adjustments, buy or borrow a diesel fuel pressure test gauge and check to see what your actual fuel pressure is read at the injector pump schrader valve. Depending upon what type of fuel pressure gauge you have in the cab of the truck (I am going on the presumption that you DO.....if not install one) it could be a bad or improperly installed fuel pressure isolator or a bad electric sending unit or gauge. If the pressure reading is accurate, 28 psi is far too much pressure and can damage the pump and the first signs of this are usually hard starting issues.

a cracked or broken diaphragm inside the VP44 which allows the mechanical high pressure pump to bleed down and get air bound, which will require longer crank times while it gets the air out and the fuel into the rotor to start the engine. Replacing the injection pump is the only fix for this.

http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/vp44diagnostichelp.html

LiveOak, Yes I do have the Fass, replacement pump for the stock transfer pump/OEM mountingsI used the higher pressure spring when I installed it......do you suppose that the higher pressure caused my VP failure?? I thought I had heard that it wouldn't hurt anything just a harder start occasionally. O-#%I have printed out the BLue Chip Information and will perform these checks tonight.....but I think I already know what the findings will be.......damn!

LiveOak, Yes I do have the Fass, replacement pump for the stock transfer pump/OEM mountings I used the higher pressure spring when I installed it......do you suppose that the higher pressure caused my VP failure?? I thought I had heard that it wouldn't hurt anything just a harder start occasionally. O-#% I have printed out the BLue Chip Information and will perform these checks tonight.....but I think I already know what the findings will be.......damn!

There is really no way to be certain but I doubt HIGHLY that this caused the P0216 code. The injection pump may have incurred wear and tear prior to the installation of the FASS pump. Running the excessive high pressure did not help either but I don't think it caused the pump to crap out. In this case, I would strongly recommend considering buying the VP-44 injector pump FASS/AirDog package and install the full version of the FASS or AirDog when you install your new pump. I would NOT under ANY circumstances run the new pump on the current FASS replacement pump until you address the high fuel pump pressure issue. This could and likely would void the warranty on the new pump.