• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Mechanical lift pump

I have been looking for a replacement lift pump and am leaning towards a mechanical pump.  Are there any major differences between the Fuel Boss and the Predator? Anything that makes one so much better than the other such as quality of parts, kit completeness, customer service, etc? This will be going on the truck in my signature plumbed in with the stock filter for now. Im trying to build a reliable low maintenance driver/tow truck, not some high hp toy. Thanks for any opinions/experience that you can provide.

I can only speak for the fuel boss as I’ve never dealt with the Predator. The Fuel Boss is great quality and the service from GDP is second to none, You will love it and probably never have to worry about fuel pump issues again. if issues arise it’s usually not the fault of the pump. I went with straight mechanical with no back up pump just for simplicity sake 

• Thanks 1

• Staff
3 hours ago, 01cummins4ever said:

I can only speak for the fuel boss as I’ve never dealt with the Predator. The Fuel Boss is great quality and the service from GDP is second to none, You will love it and probably never have to worry about fuel pump issues again. if issues arise it’s usually not the fault of the pump. I went with straight mechanical with no back up pump just for simplicity sake 

:iagree:

I did install the back up fuel pump and have use it to purge air from the system when changing filters, VP44, and injectors: it is turned off for starting and normal operation. 

Edited by IBMobile
  • Thanks 1

several years back, i was you! i was traveling the country and wanted reliability. my truck has a fass ddrp and i installed the fuel boss. Solely based on reviews...i could not find a failure, i heard of a couple but no confirmations.

the assassin had a few claims, and customer service at the time wasnt great. PDD has a new version with a pressure valve built in, it is still new to most, but should have good support.

i know i have emailed richard (GDP Fuel Boss) on sundays, and within minutes had return calls.

only issues i have at all are this...the drive pulleys have a fiber construction, they can become brittle. i do carry a spare but have never needed to use it. The other is YOUR install...make sure no debris gets in the line, i hung a check valve open and lost pressure...not a big deal, but i did reach out to richard for a fix...he called right back (11am Sunday).

personally, i have never needed the ddrp since i installed the boss (2014 ish). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2019 at 8:16 PM, Gregturley said:

Well i think I'll start saving for the Fuel Boss. Thanks to everyone for the info. Guess that Quadzilla just got pushed back again.

With the fuel boss if you choose to go straight mechanical with no electric pump like @01cummins4ever ran his you can knock $50 off the GDP price since you won't need the Hobbs switch and a few less fittings.  It's an easier install too.  Of course if you get the big line kit too then it's $50 so it ends up a wash on the total price.

I also ran mine straight mechanical with no electric pump anywhere on the truck.  It has always performed flawlessly and fuel pressure has always been rock solid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

1/2" lines will have to wait. Im broke and dont have time to pull the tank to do a pick up. I just need a pump that doesn't randomly drop to 2 psi. Really cant afford a new vp44. Luckily i have the Neon to drive to work because this truck is parked until i have usable fuel pressure.

at a minimum, do the 3/8" bigline. i have mine plumbed from stock feed tubes to 3/8" through out...

it is totally fine. i run a superchips maxed out, with 7x.0085 (75 hp ish) and i idle at 21-22psi ( temp based) and see 25 psi sustained when on the throttle. 

Dont worry about the HIGH PSI issues most speak of, that is an issue when CRANKING, not idling or running,

You will be fine with the 3/8 line that comes with it. But like you have planned, it’s good to have the bigger line going to the vp. 

If if you live in the cold country it’s good to leave the stock filter for heating purposes. But you will need the 24 micron pre pump inline strainer, mine is installed just aft. the frame mounted bulk head with shut off valve I made 

I have had no issues with check engine light and I still have the relay in it. I haven't checked for codes so not sure on that one but never tripped the check engine light 

• Thanks 1

The strainer is a very course filter you need prior to the pump to protect it from debris in thr fuel. I am not sure what type is needed for mechanical pumps. You definitely need to go the factory fuel filter. That is the only filtration and water seperation on the truck. The Vp and injectors need that protection.

Edited by dripley