• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

01 2500 auto with a hx40....150 over injectors....adrenaline on level 3....3 piece bd manifold....running 80 on the interstate I’m getting 1000 with a little wind but not even towing anything...seems a little high?

• Owner

Extremely high.

I barely float 700°F with the Quadzilla on Level 7 (full wire tap). I'm running 82 MPH at 2,500 RPM and still after nearly 100 miles of this netted 19.58 MPG. Engine load just barely below 25% which is my cruise limit and floating 26.89° of timing at 2,500 RPM cruise timing.

What is your engine load like at 80 MPH?

What size tires are you running?

What gear ratio is in the rear axle?

My max engine load was 91%....not sure at 80mph but my max speed was 86mph...not sure on my tires, know my rims are 20x9....3.55 rear....I just hooked up my egt for the quad couse my autometer quake quit and this was the cheapest option....the probe is in the bottom of the manifold...don’t know if that matters or not...

Older tunning...have the 11 settings and did the custom tune download so I can do v2 but I’m just running on level 3...I bought the truck wrecked from a shop so I never talked to the previous owner...just know that they were 150 over injectors and it had compounds at one time....has a fass lift pump and a 4” exhuast....that’s about all I know...I’m getting 30psi on the turbo and this thing runs great just to high egts for me...

• Owner
10 hours ago, Tymatthew said:

My max engine load was 91%....not sure at 80mph but my max speed was 86mph...not sure on my tires, know my rims are 20x9....3.55 rear....

You should be able to monitor engine load as your traveling. Max number doesn't mean much. I need to know your tire size most likely your final ratio is too low and the engine is struggling excessively. Final ratio to the pavement should be in the 3.55 to 3.73 optimally.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Ok bruh.....275 70r 18....forgot I traded rims...4”lift....with a head wind of 15 my egt’s were 1050 to 1150 @78mph....engine load was 28% to 35%.....when I first started this a couple months ago my egt’s were around 700 to 800.....the only thing that’s changed is I messed with the wastegate cause I was only getting 23lbs on a hx40 with a 4”exhaust....so now I’m getting 30lbs after adjusting...either I got a boost leak which is what I’m thinking or maybe I should set the wastegate back....I go a super b special in the garage I’m gonna put on this weekend when my 5”to 4” vband gets here and see what happens...

iQuad-2019-05-24-03.22.18.csv

My data log bruh....hey thanks for the help too, not only with this but all that quadzilla download stuff as well...

Edited by JAG1

• Owner
1 minute ago, Tymatthew said:

Ok bruh.....275 70r 18....forgot I traded rims...4”lift....with a head wind of 15 my egt’s were 1050 to 1150 @78mph...

Excessive wind drag and excessive low final ratio which I calculate 3.39:1 to the ground. You need to change your gears to 4.10 at least to fix this problem. Wind drag will ever go away with the lift. 

Bigger exhaust isn't going to fix the problem. 4" is plenty big enough which it will take care of 600 HP easy. 

4:10 will kill my mileage...I’m not going bigger exhuast I just need an v band adapter for the super b....it’s a 5” and my exhuast is a 4”....I’m gonna drop it back to stock height this summer, hate the lift but it came that way....I’ll do some tinkering and thinking...thank you

• Owner
1 hour ago, Tymatthew said:

4:10 will kill my mileage..

No, It will gain you MPG for sure. Like me, I'm twisting 2,500 RPM at 82 MPH but still kicking out 19.58 MPG

Capture+_2019-05-24-17-57-15.png

My last 3 years of fuel logs. You can see my Economy tune is also a big gain. 3.69:1 final ratio to the pavement.

Capture+_2019-05-24-17-58-24.png

Edited by Mopar1973Man

4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Seriously doubt the boost is the problem most people are looking for more boost to keeping the EGT's down. 

The only measurement he doesn't have is the engine load before and after. Engine load equals EGT's.

I just don't understand how the EGTs went so high by just increasing the boost.  He stated the only thing he did was modify the wastegate to get higher boost.  The lift is the same, the big tires are the same, the injectors are the same, the tune is the same, just more boost.  Unless there was something else changed between the low EGTs and higher EGTs (different tune or something). :shrug:

Damn u guys got sum good info....I appreciate this a lot....thanks for all the posts, that’s why I pay for this site....I’ve tracked down sum 4:10 gears for a good price but I’m gonna do boost leak test when I swap turbos on my days off first....

• Owner

Like I'm running a HX35/40 Hybrid. Its a 60/60/12 in measurements. I hit 45 to 47 PSI of boost on WOT. Regardless, the actual EGT's while cruising 65 MPH is like 550°F and barely 2 PSI of boost. The main factor in MPG numbers is working your timing higher, then watching the engine load sink. 

The biggest problem you won't lose is the frontal area with the lift kit and the standing height, the only way to reduce that drag is to drive much slower. All speeds above 55 MPH are exponential for wind drag. Roughly speaking for every 10 MPH above the wind drag doubles exponentially. Hint I know my 55 MPH speeds will net me close to 24 to 26 MPG. Too tough to do with my time schedules.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff

OP, look for a boost leak, check your air intake, intercooler cleanliness, etc. Since it’s a recent development it’s likely an airflow issue. 

@Mopar1973Man not everything is a gearing problem, thou it’s your go to fix.  He stated it’s a recent change in EGT’s, and his load doesn’t indicate it’s a gearing problem... but I do find it funny it’s your go to for anyone running taller tires on a 3.55’s, even what came stock at times. 

275/70R18’s are the OE 4th gen size, and they come  with 3.42’s and double OD’s. The VGT does help low rpm performance, but a 5.9 can handle that combo at 80 and not be lugging, since it’s 2000 rpms with 3.55s and a 47RE

• Like 2

• Staff
10 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Might be true but not the same engine, not the same HP/TQ or not the same gears so it doesn't work on a 2nd Gen at all.

Apples to oranges don't work.

Not apples to oranges, more Gala’s to Granny Smith’s. 

Turbo’s work on exhaust flow, and plenty of exhaust flow at 2000 rpms for the OP’s turbo. Lower final Gearing won’t increase airflow at 2000 rpms. 

Trying to compare a recent change in EGT’s to a constant gearing is apples to oranges thou. 

• Like 1