• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

47re Trans Service Tips and Tricks

Yeah sounds like a disaster for sure with Cascade...:wtf: how do they intend on keeping regular clients with all that going on.

For true transparency I really don't reccomend folks follow my lead and tear their trans down as far as I did, it's a ton of work, you need a decent tool inventory, and some serious help from folks like @Dynamic, reading their posts where they help others out, I read every trans post for new nuggets of info, I've messed some up some parts on my build for sure broken stuff did stuff wrong, over bought (like the overkill snap rings), but I really have enjoyed the process, it's been really fun. I have no help with this hands on, I had to pull it myself like most others on here, it's a ton of work just getting it all out of the truck and apart. 

Here is my build... 

Some of these part numbers are wrong, it's hard to go back and forth for those..

Goerend: 

764623174_Screenshot_20190818-212552_AdobeAcrobat.jpg.eda4eb198f4dad5376d1699086051b18.jpg

Also a second billet intermediate servo cover, broke the first one.. They are like $16.

Amazon: ATSG Book,  Some misc tools, snap ring pliers, small spring compressor. Dr.. Tranny Lubegard 19250 (the green assy lube)

Cascade: OD compression tool, sprag clutch, OD .215 backing plate, OD alignment tool.

Rock Auto: Transmaxx A12650 Sprag (was not what I thought it was) this was the smaller one, 22002EF Rebuild kit ($66) I wiped out a seal, Snap Rings, Pump bushing D22034B ($3.43) messed first one up. Hardlines from trans to front cooler. I might replace these again with hoses, I liked that idea I found on here.

McMaster's Carr: Loctite Green sleeve lock, digital caliper, long 10" feeler gauges (I thought it was 48pc, which it was but was like qty 4 of 12 different sizes it worked for some stuff), small feeler gauges. Small gauge block, 6" .500 wide metal ruler., Dial indicator.

Pure Diesel: 

Screenshot_20190818-215609_Gmail.jpg.d87691eafbae763bb9231b1b654513a3.jpg

Bought before my rebuild, 

Genos Garage: this was a nice reuseable gasket kit and mopar filter: MOP-KIT-3515996TRANSMISSION FILTER/GASKET KIT ('89-'971      $21.95   

American Cooling Solutions: (19868) Transmission Oil Cooler Dodge Ram / Cummins replaces 3926670, 4762090, 4746216. This is the one that the engine coolant runs thru, mine was shot crusty and seeping bad.

https://www.americancoolingsolutions.com/19868-transmission-oil-cooler-dodge-ram-cummins-replaces-3926670-4762090-4746216/

Transfer Case:

Torque King 4x4, that Vacuum harness is pretty slick for like $40, mine were really crusty and cracked.

Screenshot_20190818-214352_Gmail.jpg.7980703ab3584b363c7e76bb1db59225.jpg

Harbor Freight: HD Trans Jack floor version, this worked great, an extra set of hands would be helpful pull out the whole trans and transfer case as one unit was a chore..

Could be some more misc stuff I'm missing here....... there's always one more thing.

• Thanks 2

• Staff

Dynamic, Your good advice is what all of us really need. I know we all appreciate, more than you know, someone that cares enough to help with the 47 and 48 re Trans.

Now I have serviced both my trucks trans. They run much smoother, more consistent, but the sense of accomplishment in knowing its done right is a good feeling. I cannot find one inkling of a leak either.

• Like 1

Congrats on the pan and fluid filter change JAG1. 

I just ordered my Goerend pan set (based on recommendations on here) and I'm debating on any "pan-off" upgrades when I'm in there or just wait till I get the whole transmission rebuilt.  I'm hoping to do the rebuild in the next month.  Any thoughts?

• Like 1

• Staff
19 hours ago, hdpwipmonkey said:

I just ordered my Goerend pan set (based on recommendations on here) and I'm debating on any "pan-off" upgrades when I'm in there or just wait till I get the whole transmission rebuilt.  I'm hoping to do the rebuild in the next month.  Any thoughts?

Thank you, Are you going to do it yourself?

Edited by JAG1

5 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Thank you, Are you going to do it yourself?

If  I do the pan off upgrades I'll do those but the full rebuild is a little (I mean a lot) out of my relm of comfort.  This is my daily driver and I have to have it turned around quick and if I did it myself, I'm sure it's be anything but quick. :whistle:

• Like 1

• Staff

Yep, I unfortunately did not do the 'Pan Off Upgrades' (good way to call it) and my 01 misbehaved  once yesterday with what I think is called 'shuttle shift'? Is when it is supposed to shift but hesitates for an instant and then grabs a little hard when it does. I think it's hard on it and wish that I had gotten the Heavy duty Borg Warner Governor Pressure solenoides for each truck. What a dummy I am for wanting to get done with everything too fast. :doh:

About lining up the, pan, gasket and bolt holes..... I'm not as skilled as many, found it difficult without the wife's help by slowly raising in place with the floor jack. So using same three long bolts to help guide everything. I made three 'Bobby Pin' like wire clips to hold the gasket in place first. The wire clips hold the gasket by grabbing the threads of the bolts. Just like a large bobby pin, slide over the threads to hold the gasket. After getting a few pan bolts in by hand you can easily slide the pins out of the way and continue on. This is recommended for older diesel folks like me, but don't forget and leave a pin in there. Might help someone like me who is getting a bit older and Mopar Man go,'' Oh gawd'' to ya.... don't let that discourage you he's the fastest VP44 slinger in the west.

Edited by JAG1

11 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Yep, I unfortunately did not do the 'Pan Off Upgrades' (good way to call it) and my 01 misbehaved  once yesterday with what I think is called 'shuttle shift'? Is when it is supposed to shift but hesitates for an instant and then grabs a little hard when it does. I think it's hard on it and wish that I had gotten the Heavy duty Borg Warner Governor Pressure solenoides for each truck. What a dummy I am for wanting to get done with everything too fast. :doh:

Slow and deliberate my freind. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Mine's starting off in the wrong gear.  I slow to a stop and when I go again it starts off in 2nd then switches to 1st real quick then back to second once I start going.

• Staff
7 hours ago, hdpwipmonkey said:

Mine's starting off in the wrong gear.  I slow to a stop and when I go again it starts off in 2nd then switches to 1st real quick then back to second once I start going.

Hmm..... Governor Pressure solenoid?

You should call @Dynamic, and he will go over stuff with you. :lmao:

Did you know that Dynamic Transmission was founded in Hillsboro, OR? I started building transmissions for myself (after a couple of decades for building them for other people_ in the little shop behind our house on Jackson School Rd., near Glencoe High School. We still visit that area from time to time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dynamic said:

Did you know that Dynamic Transmission was founded in Hillsboro, OR? I started building transmissions for myself (after a couple of decades for building them for other people_ in the little shop behind our house on Jackson School Rd., near Glencoe High School. We still visit that area from time to time.

Is your number BR 549?

4 hours ago, Dynamic said:

Wished you were still here.  5 minutes down the road sounds better then a 5 hour drive.

11 hours ago, JAG1 said:

I hope IBMobile calls you too. He needs a new trans. Not just a rebuild. For his 5th wheel he needs it really built, but he's afraid of the shipping. How much from Escondido, Ca.?

It depends upon available facilities at his end, but typical residential delivery with a liftgate truck runs about $550 for freight to him, and also his core return back to my shop. If he has a commercial address, and/or a forklift or loading dock, it gets a little cheaper. I handle all shipping arrangements, so it's super easy on the customer's end. 

38 minutes ago, Russ Roth said:

I made the drive twice for him to do 2 for me.  Well worth the drive.

Yeah...I'm on my second summer trying to get over there, if my wife ever gets better. I keep threatening the in-laws ill stay with them 4 miles away until he does mine. 

So Dynamic...could you build one bring it with you. If your traveling near?  

On 8/18/2019 at 9:23 PM, hdpwipmonkey said:

I too have been looking for some  "pan off upgrades". This seems to be the package I have zeroed in on.

https://www.oregonperformancetransmission.com/product/OPT-A518-A618-EL.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9Ka77M6U5AIVkMJkCh1ZIgQhEAQYASABEgIhBPD_BwE

• Rostra dual pack shift solenoid – 3-4 and lockup
  • HD 50185 Borg Warner governor pressure solenoid
  • Rostra governor pressure sensor - transducer temperature sensor
  • Output speed sensor
  • Sonnax updated 3-4 accumulator spring
  • Governor pressure solenoid body gasket

Correct me if I'm wrong, the Rostra dual pack shift solenoid – 3-4 and lockup, the Sonnax updated 3-4 accumulator spring must be changed by dropping the valve body. Will these 2 parts improve transmission function? Or are they more of a replacement for failing parts vs. upgrade. What symptoms would arise from these 2 parts failing? The rest of the kit can be changed by just dropping the pan. I'm kinda wanting to just change just the pressure solenoid, transducer and shift solenoid. I don't want to neglect changing a part that is highly recommended to change though...thoughts appreciated :thumbup2:

( I have some low throttle, 1-2, 2-3 shift issues, like its not sure which gear to be in at shift point, up hills are worse. Seem to have helped when adjusting TV cable. I have moved it a couple times trying to find a sweet spot, still a work in progress, going a touch tighter next time. Under moderate throttle it finds the gears better) 

I read around a lot and sometimes don't know where I've read it but I am curious to know when looking at band adjustment screws, is there some way to get an idea on band life by how many threads are showing on the adjustment screw? Not a bad idea to take a picture while I"m there for reference I suppose.

You need to pull the valve body to replace the OD/TCC solenoids. The rest of that stuff can be changed without pulling it. The 47RE is notorious for breaking the 3-4 accumulator spring. You will likely not know the difference, to be honest. It's certainly not any kind of upgrade.

A healthy band with a stock intermediate servo will show roughly 3 threads above the jam nut when properly adjusted.

• Like 1