• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

NV4500 broke...

24 minutes ago, cuda said:

Biggest bummer for the current nv4500 is just the plain lack of quality rebuild parts. I am always looking on ebay for oem gears and parts. But I think I will be doing a built G56 as my next project.  

Try the 5600, it's even worse due to the limited run on Dodge only installs.

• Owner
15 hours ago, dripley said:

Try the 5600, it's even worse due to the limited run on Dodge only installs.

Rebuilding a NV5600 is nearly 3 times the price of my NV4500. Don't forget my cancer treatment has got me bogged down with about $20,000 of debt now and I can't just hop in a modification mode and spend huge amount of money. The only bonus I got was the price between a single disc and a dual disc clutch was a difference of 20 bucks. Now that is a upgrade I'll pony up for...

Hence why I opened a shop and working 7 days a week now. Just to keep bills paid heck I even worked on Sunday. I've got just barely enough to do what I'm doing now. I'm going to be broke again. Then if I continue running the 1996 Dodge that is costing me $0.21 cents a mile ($210 a week in fuel) vs the Cummins which is as low as $0.15 cents a mile ($150 a week in fuel). Now figure 1,000 miles a week. The half ton will bleed me financially right now. 

Now if I didn't have to pay off $20,000 worth of cancer treatment and driving MoparMom back and forth for dialysis treatments I would upgrade and move on to a G56 modification if possible. But when 90% of my income is spent before I get it... I'm stuck.

Well I'm sure you're doing what you think is best for your situation...  Sounds like you're chasing your tail too so maybe tone down the power a bit and make that truck a tad more reliable and hopefully you'll get through all this.  I cant speak for everyone but I'm sure people are praying for you.

• Like 1

I did medical bankruptcy to the turn of about 80k about 5 years ago. I tried to pay it but couldn't thought it was the end of the world but it wasn't. 

I still work 7 days ago and long hours things are looking up.

Maybe a geo metro or something is in your future 

I'm thinking of ya but praying isnt my thing

• Owner
3 hours ago, Evan said:

I did medical bankruptcy to the turn of about 80k about 5 years ago.

I can't do this... Then I would lose the house. I'm the owner of 3 acres of property and two houses. Not cool to leave MoparMom without a home. 

4 hours ago, KATOOM said:

Sounds like you're chasing your tail too so maybe tone down the power a bit and make that truck a tad more reliable and hopefully you'll get through all this.

Easy enough just retard the timing back 2° and the power is reduced on the performance tune. My economy tune is starts out way low at 70% fuel and retarded timing as well no design for pulling power but economy. 

16 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I can't do this... Then I would lose the house. I'm the owner of 3 acres of property and two houses. Not cool to leave MoparMom without a home.

Filling for bankruptcy doesnt mean you loose your house...  If you're struggling so much that you cant make ends meet then maybe you need to talk to a bankruptcy attorney for advice as to whether this is an option for you.  Some will offer free consultations but just make sure you get more than one opinion so you're not led astray.  There are options Mike...  But finding someone who can give you the correct help can be hard.

Edited by KATOOM
  • Like 1

Chapter 7=wipe the slate clean of any unsecured debt and decide if you want to keep and continue to pay for secured debts as originally agreed or return security to creditor and cancel remaining debt. 

Chapter 13=judge will restructure all of your debt in a way that allows you to to pay it back in a lower single monthly payment through the court.  Some of your unsecured debts may be reduced or canceled to allow for a feasible monthly payment.

Was in loan and mortgage originating business in a previous life. 

Edited by Bullet

Yes bullet got.

I think 7 is what I did.not sure how much i filed.  Medical bill was 800k wich included a trip on life light. Insurance did pay most of it. But most leaves alot left. 

It did take me a couple years to actually do it once I started the process.  Kept thinking I didn't need to do and could sell my soul to pay the bill.

20 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

The only bonus I got was the price between a single disc and a dual disc clutch was a difference of 20 bucks. Now that is a upgrade I'll pony up for...

How did you manage that? Are you going to share? A good single is about $600 w/flywheel and a twin is about a grand. 

• Owner

I left this morning to head down for the transmission. 

Total bill for the rebuild.$1,547.00 

Some upgrade... No carbon fiber syncro's. All Brass syncros. 

Failure is two fold we figure. 

1. Is the pilot bearing coming out of the flywheel ruined most of the front bearings and the mainshaft. The pilot bearing ruined the clutch and the bearings on the front end. 

2. The 5th gear failure we both think because last rebuild the lower (larger gear) was replaced last time. Then the upper gear on the mainshaft was the OEM with 392k miles and 90% of my travels are in 5th gear so the metal got fatigue and strip a large amount of teeth off the upper smaller gear dropping the debris into the lower gear doing more damage as it did. 

I got home about 4:30pm from Boise, ID. I managed to install the Valair Dual Disc Clutch and get the transmission stabbed by 7:30pm. I'm going to quit for now and fix my transfer case. The washer that fell out last time. Then install the rest of the remaining parts. Sling of ratchet straps worked like a dream again. Got it off the floor and then strapped to the floor jack. Lifted and just push it in the hole with little effort. Thread the 4 bolt in to ride on and wiggled a bit more and BAM! Seated like it was meant too.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I left this morning to head down for the transmission. 

Total bill for the rebuild.$1,547.00

That's not too bad...just my torque converter cost more than that.  And you didn't even have to do any of the rebuild.  Cost me $5k and then I had to do the work.  I'd say you came out fairly well! 

Did you go with the upgrade input shaft? I would also take a good look at the supplied clutch release bearing, some are not up to the task of a long wearing twin disk. Southbend finally upgraded to Aetna bearings. SKF is also good stuff.

https://www.aetnabearing.com/products/aetna-clutch/clutch-release-bearing-assembly/

• Like 1

• Owner

As for the transmission and clutch combo....

Valair clutches have my vote for sure. Wow! I love this clutch and how soft the pedal is. Engages way at the top of the pedal swing. Grabbed good and strong. As for the transmission it shifts smooth. Just with the dual disc clutch its a bit slow to take in 5th gear. Rotational mass to slow down then it slides right in smooth. Really got to relearn how to drive it. Engagement is way different and the pedal is so soft. Launching has a bit of chatter in the beginning but after playing around running from home to Riggins to New Meadows I put on 84 miles on the clutch. Things calmed down quite a bit as it broke in. 

As for the syncros that is way different from the old carbon fiber syncros. Way easy shifting and down shift easier at higher RPM's. Some of the shift issues were from the pilot bearing issue. 

DONT float gears in these transmissions.  This discussion has been hashed out for years and seems to get very heated depending who's defending what position...but no matter, it still stands as a FACT that doing so is damaging to the synchros and simply isnt what the transmission was designed to do. :thumb1:

• Like 4