• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Which Flywheel Torque Spec Is It

• Staff

When looking up the tightening specification for installing the bolts that hold the flywheel or drive plate to the crankshaft I found two different values.  In the engine section under "Crankshaft Oil Seal - Rear"  the tightening torque given is 101 ft. lbs.  In the "Automatic Transmission 47RE- Torque Specifications" chart the number given is 55 ft. lbs.  One of these is a mistake; which one is right? 

IBM,

I agree I found both of the different references you found....

I think the bolts are M12.   Need to know the class of bolt.  (and materials to be fastened)  Metric 12.9 (similar to our grade 8) maximum suggested tightening torque is 123 ft*lb.   grade 10.9 is suggested max 106 ft*lb.    grade 9.8 is suggested max 83 ft*lb.

image.png.59fe01f4d36d77ba4bb6f204a18fb34f.png

This chart from the manual says the m12 at 12.9 can go to 95 ft*lb in cast iron.  Our crank is forged steel.  (significantly stronger in tension)  so I think the 101 ft*lb is fine if the fastener is 12.9 or stronger. 

HTH

Hag

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Staff

The "Automatic Transmission 47RE" chart also gives a tightening torque for the "bolt, torque convertor"  of 35 ft. lbs..   If the tightening torque is 105  ft. lbs. for eight bolts holding the flex plate to the crankshaft then you would think the 35 ft. lbs. of torque on the six bolts holding the flex plate to the convertor is to low.

21 hours ago, IBMobile said:

The "Automatic Transmission 47RE" chart also gives a tightening torque for the "bolt, torque convertor"  of 35 ft. lbs..   If the tightening torque is 105  ft. lbs. for eight bolts holding the flex plate to the crankshaft then you would think the 35 ft. lbs. of torque on the six bolts holding the flex plate to the convertor is to low.

The converter to flex plate bolts torque to 38 lb/ft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think he recomends the billet. 

The other sfi stuffs goood to I think its designed to be a fuse

I was curious about the sfi 29 so I looked it up.

It basically means it passed an hour spin at 12500-13500 rpm without failure.

I do not know if the billet plates have been tested.

More research needed very interesting 

Edited by Evan

The SFI 29.1 flex plate is included with the Stage 2 build. Stage 3 and higher include a full billet flex plate. 

No builder would intentionally put a "fuse" in the system. The flex plate is no exception. The SFI 29.1 flex plate is more than most people will ever dream of needing.