• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Surging after tappet cover gasket replacement

I had the stealership replace my tappet cover gasket (I know, bad idea but time is money) and now its surging/ having delayed fueling when stepping on the gas. Also feels like it wants to die when releasing the clutch from a stop.

What do you think they messed up for me to be having these issues? Im thinking timing from removing the injection pump.

I'm bringing it back but I want to be prepared for whatever excuse they'll spin me. Thanks

I have struggled with surging in the past, sometimes with a code and others not. Even with TPS codes it never turned out to be the TPS. Mine was a bad 5v wire splice. I cant help but think yours is a connection or bad wire where ever they worked.

Ask if they reflashed the computer.... it could be that they replaced the programming with an automatic tune....  You lose the stall prevention that the manuals have.

They had to remove the ECM to do the tappet gasket.  Its easy to bend a pin on the ECM if you are not careful.  There are also hidden splices in that area.  They could have easily boo booed them.

If I may ask, what was the cost?  or at least what was the hours that they quoted.

Thanks!

Hag

• Staff

You should stay away from the dealer. They will do things to get you to give in / buy a new truck. 

You say time is money..... I saved 1300 bucks doing my own work inside of a couple Saturdays and no headaches no leaks no problems.

Edited by JAG1

14 hours ago, Haggar said:

Ask if they reflashed the computer.... it could be that they replaced the programming with an automatic tune....  You lose the stall prevention that the manuals have.

They had to remove the ECM to do the tappet gasket.  Its easy to bend a pin on the ECM if you are not careful.  There are also hidden splices in that area.  They could have easily boo booed them.

If I may ask, what was the cost?  or at least what was the hours that they quoted.

Thanks!

Hag

It was 1100 dollars for a new cover and gaskets with the seals and quoted 8 hours.

Honestly I should have taken the time to do it myself, I have the ability and tools.

I should have ran when the diesel tech tried to explain to me how my trucks common rail fuel injection system works. 

Edited by Rotket
Clarity
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rotket said:

It was 1100 dollars for a new cover and gaskets with the seals and quoted 8 hours.

Honestly I should have taken the time to do it myself, I have the ability and tools.

Its back at the dealer now and its funny you mention the anti stall thing, because it really wants to die when letting out the clutch.

Ouch. It is more labor than anything but the parts are maybe $100 retail.

1 minute ago, dripley said:

Ouch. It is more labor than anything but the parts are maybe $100 retail.

Yep. The whole purpose was to get my truck leak free real quick without me having to wait for a free weekend, but that plan doesn't work to well when they break more than they fix

Not sure the reasoning behind taking a 2nd gen to dealership. They're are shops out there that have good techs that are smart and not out trying to screw you. I'd be afraid to even take the truck back to have the dealership fix they're own 

Do it yourself or ask around and find a good tech count the time and 1100 as learning experience 

4 hours ago, Evan said:

Not sure the reasoning behind taking a 2nd gen to dealership. They're are shops out there that have good techs that are smart and not out trying to screw you. I'd be afraid to even take the truck back to have the dealership fix they're own 

Do it yourself or ask around and find a good tech count the time and 1100 as learning experience 

I can never find a diesel tech in louisville ky that works on pick ups. They're all a couple hours outside of the city.

Though if anyone knows one I would greatly appreciate it. 

Update:

I took it back and of course they couldn't find anything. They saiid they made sure the vp44 was set right and that the timing was fine.

I took the truck back and it still has an the issues. I'm also getting the dread p0230 code for injection pump timing.

Do you think this is a coincidence or did they some how damage the timing piston on the injection pump?

Ive head a steady 14 psi to the pump for 5 years.

7 minutes ago, Rotket said:

Update:

I took it back and of course they couldn't find anything. They saiid they made sure the vp44 was set right and that the timing was fine.

I took the truck back and it still has an the issues. I'm also getting the dread p0230 code for injection pump timing.

Do you think this is a coincidence or did they some how damage the timing piston on the injection pump?

Ive head a steady 14 psi to the pump for 5 years.

The 230 code is for your lift pump circuit and not the VP. Siure you read it right?

5 hours ago, dripley said:

The 230 code is for your lift pump circuit and not the VP. Siure you read it right?

Sorry, I meant p0216. P0230 is on there but that's from when I pulled the lift pump off of it when putting in the fass

My guess is your vp was on the way out, when they put it back after tapet cover gasket, probably took too long to get the air out cranking and vp got more damage to timing piston. What fuel pump do you have. I don't think you'll get them to pay for anything, these people make leaving on others misery. You can always try never know. Is your vp original 

Started a thread a couple days ago about some surging. Had a 216 code also. The truck was running fine except for the odd surgingat low RPM. Cleared the code too and things seemed alright. On the way to Georgia last night and the truck died and the code is back. We are very similar in symptoms and codes, just no one worked on mine.

• Like 1