• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Crazy life - Just blogging

Mopar1973Man

• Owner

I've got a guy that dropped off a Dodge Durango and it got serious transmission issues. Lagging to engage the clutch and only shift proper if the gear selector is in 2nd. Gov Press Sen and Gov Press Solenoid is a start most likely being its got a CEL light too.

Kind of like yesterday I got slammed with more work than I knew what to do with. Then on top of that none of the parts came yesterday on the freight truck. I ended up driving to Council, ID to pick up parts for the jobs 104 mile round trip. Like I'm working on Paul Shepherd sons truck.

What turned into something very weird was the the guy that contacted me about this wanted me to teach him how to fix the problems with Paul Shepherds sons truck. Then he was asking if his friend could come as well and learn more too. Sure I said. By the time the got back there I was with 5 guys and teach 3 guys the basics of Dodge Cummins and what was wrong with it.  This spawned off another job because my contact guy is buying a 99 Dodge Cummins for $4k. Need work and its a project truck.

Finally after being in the cold wind for over an hour I finally headed back to the shop to get on to my other job for the day. My Landlord (shop) he borrowed a friends truck and managed to eat the alternator and lose a tail pipe. I manage to stuff the alternator for now and got him a running truck for towing trailers. His own truck has a possible carrier bearing issue. By this time my body was giving up. Cold, hurting and energy draining fast since I'm still not quite right after being sick. One last bolt and it rusted tight and the 1/2 impact rounded the nut. :mad:

About this time @Wet Vette was contacting me and letting me know she is sick. That it I'm going home. Both got a bite to eat later that night but took a few hours of settling down. 

Here I am I'm getting packed this morning feeling like crap already and heading into a rain/snow storm today. 

Oh just fun info. odometer is 402,7xx right now. 238k miles to the moon, and it 476k miles to the moon and back. My truck is still going like a gang buster. Fighting the tune right now too. Had a nice 19 MPG going and retard again and slid down the back side too far. Now I gotta back track a bit. I'll most likely deal with that later today during breakfast in Weiser, ID.

Once I get Mopar Mom to her appointment I've gotta run over to Nampa, ID and get @Wet Vette medication from her pharmacy. Then get back and handle the grocery shopping. This is neat for us. Eileen can be at home and update my grocery list as she is milling around the house and my phone will get the update minutes later. Listonic App. The other trick I got that is saving a bit of money now is planning dinners with Eileen night before I can give her a ring at New Meadows and she can have dinner ready when we get home typically. She is one awesome woman both a great cook and great partner. 

Damn it... It snowing... Fun days...

South

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Staff

Thanks for sharing Mike. I hope everything slows down just the right amount for you during this winter. You know your taking chances out there without getting enough rest, so think about your time too Boss.

Edited by JAG1

• Owner

Like right now I got MoparMom fed and now getting ready to drop her off at her dialysis appointment. I didn't eat really I ate moms toast. My stomach is still touchy. 

Now after she is dropped off I'm heading to Nampa for Eileen's meds. Going to add an extra 90 miles on to my already 250 mile day.

Need to feed the Cummins... 350 miles from tues till now.

15761701122282130553519.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

Like I got back from Boise - Nampa which was 130 miles round trip from Ontario, OR. Topped off with fuel at 20 MPG. Fuel down here is much cheaper than back home.

In the meantime Russ calls me wondering about his truck that I left on the two post last night. I left early wasn't feeling good yesterday.

@Wet Vette just called and another truck rolled in the yard. After a few questions to her I know who's truck it is.

Me... I stopped into Carl's Jr for breakfast. Yup my first meal of the day. Sucks being sick... 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Sad 2

• Staff

Mike pace things out for yourself. All work has to be scheduled..... right? so you not slammed and risking your health again. I'm going to be a free for awhile after Christmas. So happy...... I can already feel my energy coming back. Job I'm on is finally down to loose ends. :thumb1: 

• Like 1

• Owner

Kind of why I bailed out of work on Wednesday at 2pm. I was get tired and weak from what ever made me sick. Drove over 400 miles yesterday. Between taking care of meds and having to pit stop at the transmission shop. Yeah 3rd gear sync to is acting weird. Ticks on a downshift from 4th to 3rd only. All other gears are good. Gotta wait my rebuilder is gone till after the first of the year.

My trip home had some challenge, raining pretty good but climbed over Midvale grade to drop into the fog. By the time I got to Council the fog lifts and the rain is trying to change to snow. In New Meadows I called forward to let Eileen know we are 20 minutes out.

One thing I can stand... Little sissies on the highway afraid of driving in weather and drive along at 25 to 35 MPH backing up traffic. Not even required to slow down yet.

Got home and both Mom and me jump into guest house where I'm at. @Wet Vette has dinner ready for both of us. Really nice when you work together to make things easier. Rolled in at 6pm.

Its 7:30am and I'm thinking of the mess around me. Trucks here and trucks down at Russ's shop. Might be better with a cup of coffee.

• Like 1

• Staff

I understand that too, so the last couple years I learned to take it in stride, back away from unskilled pokies, relax and enjoy the ride. Not much else one can do except be thankful for owning a good truck and living out in the mountains. 

• Like 1

• Owner

Yesterday was Friday the 13th and a full moon. It took its affect on me. Nothing went right, well almost nothing. 

Started my morning with the Russ's truck and needing to fix the vibration issue. After pulling the driveshaft and get getting hit in the face with the carrier bearing and blooding my nose up. Found out the carrier bearing was fine, the u-joints seem good. Button it up and still vibration. Ok figured it was tires at that point Russ said he's got another set of tires. Ok change them all out and he take it for a road test and still shaking. Russ figures it out... He's got a manual cable driven CAD axle and he left the transfer case in 4WD and the axle unlocked. The 4WD light is not on but the shaft is still spinning. Ok u-joint kit for the front. Note to self check the transfer case if manual CAD axle.

Next task is to fix the starter on Russ's forklift. Serious electrical issues. I opted to just wire in a push button. I was doing thing the neat and stealthy way but Russ is like grab a extension cord run it and through on some crimp terminal. Yeah his way was easier. :doh: Then just as a fixed Russ truck I went to pack in tools and here comes another gent asking what I've been up to. I told him I'd wired a started switch for Russ. He's like great let me ask if you would do the same on my Chevy. Not a problem after I go deliver a ECM to my 6.7L customer. 

I take off for the owner of the 6.7L and get the ECM installed and would you believe it the ECM checked out good with ACS but the ECM will not function in the truck. There is a serious electrical issue on the truck that prevents the ECM from booting up and functioning. No error codes, no WTS, no trailer control, etc. Long list of failed devices on the dash. Owner is a aware and knows he's got to possible replace the entire harness. 

Get done and start heading back to catch with my starter job and met him on the highway. Flipped a U-turn and hauled after him following him to his house. After dropping the starter and running back for a ring terminal or two. I got the starter push button wired up and jump started his rig. Very happy and it charging up and the the horrid grinding noise starts and A/C compressor bearing crap the bed. Nothing I could do the daylight was leaving and it was getting dark. Nice part is this gent be down on his luck paid me in herb for the job. It all worked out in the wash. 

I got back to the shop and grab my bluetooth speaker, got a pay check from Russ for his truck work. Then forgot my water can. 

Got home and ate like a king. Had no breakfast, no lunch by 5:30pm I was starving. Spent a majority of time outside and on the ground yesterday. I'm paying the price this morning my lower back and hips are killing me. 

Here I am getting prepared for hauling south and it already starting to snow here again this morning.  The good news is Sunday is my only day off and I plan on being fully lazy and doing absolutely nothing!

@JAG1 my problem is I'm working hard enough to keep my bills paid right now. With Eileen just getting started in her job this next week it will get better soon. 

@dripley Yeah the road will wear you down fast. I've got a secret weapon... @Wet Vette has been cleared to drive the Mighty Cummins on level 3 of the tuner. She can handle my truck rather well. So far I've not had to use that option but it my ace up my sleeve if needed. Eileen also agreed to drive MoparMom down once in a while on good weather days. Today is my friday I can limp through the day and make it. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff

In a situation like yours Mike, you need to take care of yourself first or else you won't be able to for others. Learn the words, ''No, We have to schedule you in"........ Those are very famous words for a guy that needs to rest and not be hurting all the time. If you do not become a good manager of a Business it will not be worth keeping going.

Mike.. twice now I've had to attend almost "mandatory" caregiver classes. So far 2 yrs for my Mom in the early 2000's and 3 yrs now for my wife.  Sounds like a bad words. But Anybody you were caring for will be in worse shape if you don't keep up on your health.  

Next week I've got an angiogram to see how bad the plumbing is plugged up in my heart,  don't know what the hell we're going to do if I have to get something done.   Wife can't even get out of bed by herself and no family within 5 hours.  

Not a pity party,  just saying dont forget yourself in everything else going on.

• Owner

Yup. Why I'm hanging on to my Sunday. This is my only day off. Like right now I'm sitting in line at Weedology in Ontario, OR to pick up a cartridge. Sunday I'm taking the day off to lay around the house. 

As for caregiving I'm schooled up and learning to change the way I handle MoparMom. Making it better for me and reduce stress.

• Owner

Yeah I've missed a few days here. Been busy of course. 

The only day I did absolutely nothing was Sunday. I never left the house...

Monday I was up and jumping quick. My morning started with a nice hot shower to loosen up to then as I turned around in the shower the hot water went cold on me. Yeah can imagine how fast I jumped out of the shower. Grumbling and upset I drove to New Meadows to buy 2 water heater elements. By the time I got back and installed the new elements it was going on 11am. Took @Wet Vette little car to town and got fuel for her and found out what is up at the shop. 

Ran home grabbed a few things. Then proceeded to start a front driveshaft rebuild. This must of been the worse time I ever had in rebuilding a front driveshaft. I've done mine a few times and goes easy. This shaft from Russ's truck was a PITA. Fought to even get one joint out. Once I got it apart and the center ball bearing was exposed. I fought for quit the while Russ had a secret weapon I've got to remember. He's got a 3 finger slide hammer. The expanding finger barely fit the ball and then tighten it up and about 3 or 4 slides on the hammer and presto it was out. 

Now assembling this mess again was a PITA. It seemed like everything got screwed from here. Flipped needles over in the caps, binding up, etc. After 4 hours of fighting I finally got it together and smooth but tight.

Now I've got Dodge Durango with Transmission issues to jump on next and 6.7L Cummins to look at. 

The Durango has issues where it will only shift 1st and 2nd gears. But will not shift 3rd or 4th. 

As for my ECM rebuild project I finally closed that... ECM was tested by ACS and was good. I got it installed and the truck started for all of 2 seconds and died. Back to its errors and lack of function. Without a wiring diagram for the 6.7L I'm not able to help much. The owner is planning on getting a full engine harness. 

Next jobs for Russ's is going to be doing a heater core in a Chevy pickup. Then I got to do a heater core in a Industrial Chevy boom truck. That should be fun... :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

• Owner

Made my trip to Ontario, OR yesterday. Extremely cold morning started at +12F here and the quickly changed to -5F in New Meadows, ID. As I posted that on FB at breakfast my State highway guy posted up you should of waited another hour it dropped to -8F before the sun came up. Got MoparMom to the dialysis center. I quickly ran to the bank being I transferred the fund for high idle cables. Then had my bank make me a counter check for the cables. Made the 35 mile drive to Caldwell ID and picked up the first batch of high idle cables. Yup its true I've got cables and @Me78569 is building switches. There will be high idle kits once again. Personally I added a bit more to that check for the cables as a bonus. This changed the play field quickly. The shop manager was chasing out to the parking lot to meet me. So I gave him the low down on what we are building and because of the extra in the check the remaining cables should be ready by next week. Currently in QA testing.

Quickly get spun around and headed back to Ontario, OR. I had a few things on the shopping list. Groceries, a bit of smoke, and few parts for the house. I've got a kitchen faucet that is leaking. Man, kitchen faucets can be expensive. Wow.

@Wet Vette started her new job in McCall, ID. About the time I got MoparMom loaded up she was heading to work. 

As for coming home the roads a good and clear but cold enough that you had to be aware of damp areas. These could be frozen or icy. When I found out climbing grades and have the rear tires possibly slip some climbing grades. I made it home at just about 7pm. House was cold 57F inside. Promptly built a fire in the stove and started warming up the house. 

Evening passes...

Now I'm up this morning and got a 2012 6.7L in the yard and then I've got Dodge Durango at the other shop. Bitter cold yet and dragging my feet some. Not wanting to jump out in cold morning air. Already this morning talked with Nick about the high idle kits and how many we are shipping to DAP. Yup. I'm going to have DAP sell a batch too.

• Owner

Thursday trip home sucked big time. All you people with Toyota Prius's park those little stupid cars cars. All you with you wanna-be AWD cars driving  25 MPH in 65 MPH zone you are an IDIOT! Seriously!!!  I'd seen 4 of them AWD off the road, then watch one bounce off a concrete guard rail 3 times. I got to the Weiser river bridge project waited for the light. There was 5 cars ahead of me and one behind. When I left the light every one crawled out at 25 MPH in 55 MPH zone. Highway was lightly snow covered. I pulled over took a leak let everyone go. Fired up my MP3 stereo and started rocking out. Took off. In just a mere 7 miles I caught the entire pile of 6 cars. Then once I past the Tamarack mill I opened up and passed all 6 cars dragging tail at mere 35 MPH and resume cruising at 60 MPH. Still only light snow on the pavement (less than 1 inch). If you holding up traffic PULL OVER not everyone wants to drag along for hours at 25 MPH some of wanna go home today!

Another day... It's my Friday. Ontario trip today. 

Yesterday I've been working on my 6.7L CuMy relationship with Eileen @Wet Vette has been growing. We work as a excellent team when we can get together. She loves the place up here in the mountains and so does here family. Like her son came out and spent 4 days with his girl friend and son. They wanna come back for Christmas time. So, I talked it over with Eileen and she wants to learn about the website and help out.mmins with a code hole in the delete tune. I'm having issues getting the flash to go. With the weekend here I could not call for support the vendor was closed. 

As for my life I've done some talking to @Wet Vette and she is up to learning about the web site and helping out. She seen all the cables come in and me box up a set for DAP. My first box was 30 units so I sent 15 to DAP and kept 15 here for the web site store. Now I'm just waiting on @Me78569 to send some switch to me. Then we will be in business again. I've made the call to Timbo's APPS to get a restock again. Still waiting on a phone call back to get that going. My relationship with Eileen @Wet Vette has been growing. We work as a excellent team when we can get together. She loves the place up here in the mountains and so does here family. Like her son came out and spent 4 days with his girl friend and son. They wanna come back for Christmas time. So, I talked it over with Eileen and she wants to learn about the website and help out with the store and boxing up stuff for the mail.

I'm trying to get a balance between the driving job and the wrench job. Wrench job are far and few in between right now. I've a got a few nickle and dime jobs. Then I've got the web stuff I'm trying to get to market being the website has invested thousands of dollars in to parts now we need to sell said parts to make the money back. 

Like right now I'm trying to keep the home functional. Fought with a leaking kitchen faucet. Darn plastic faucet leaking down back under the sink. The bathroom faucet is plugged up with something and barely any water will come out. Priced out faucets for the kitchen it like OMG Home depot in Ontario is like 100 to 300 dollars for a kitchen faucet that has some quality and metal. Below 100 they turn to plastic junk like I've got now. 

Like today I'm packing my laptop with me and going to work on the vector art for possible hydro-flask for sale on the site. I lost my can which is a killer 64 ounce can. I talked with the gent I got mine from he'll will to work a deal with me. Hopefully it turns out a good deal.

Then a friend in New Meadows calls last night. He's a Ford man. He got his hands on a Ford truck body with no engine or transmission. He's ask for me to find him a 6BT Cummins that is p-pumped. So I'll have a retro fit to do soon. 

Then one of my past jobs was a transmission job on a Durango. I made a call to Jon @Dynamic and found out those transmissions are junk in design. Known for issues with solenoids and clutch issues. Nothing adjustable like the 46RE, 47RE, and 48RE. Basically this gent is going to need a transmission shop to just rebuild the transmission. 

Oh, The dumb thing... I got home and parked my truyck in the garage and forget about the packed snow the next morning there is water every where. :doh:

I'm not sure I remember saying that the 45RFE's, 5-45RFE's and 68RFE's were junk. They are fully electronically controlled, and have different issues than the 4 speeds (which are basically 60's technology), but they work just fine, especially after some nice mods. Plus, they have 6 gears (68RFE behind the diesels)!