• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Average mpg for basically stock truck

I do a lot of hydraulics and pneumatics at work.  We use the loctite 545.  There are others like vibra tite and such that have a similar product.

We use it especially in the pneumatics, the ports are so small  just a smidgen of tape or basically anything can cause a problem in the logic.    In the hydraulic systems and booboo extra just becomes miscible in the fluid and goes away. 

HTH

Hag

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Owner

Engine load is at 0% and Idle speed is too high Injectors are shot. 

IMG_20200208_153459518.jpg

TP% should show ZERO at true idle because Idle validation switch in the APPS should flipped over and trigger the idle software. This typically displays ZERO% for TPS position.

IMG_20200208_153322853.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff

Sweet, sounds like it may be the way to go for now. Not planning on big power adders as of yet but if I can improve what I do have I'm all for it.

Those I believe are a +40 injector? Would that be the largest to install without a tuner of any kind? Any pros/cons to going maybe slightly bigger? Just curious.

Edited by Doubletrouble

I don’t remember them being a smoke show or anything. Tuning would obviously be best but they should be fine. I hate to advise someone to get such small injectors and wish they’d gone bigger. I did the same thing when I first started but no one told me any different because I hadn’t discovered forums and didn’t k ow anyone else that had swapped injectors. I put three different sets in my first 98, starting small ending with 7x.010. A 7x.009 or .095 would probably be ok too, those are basically what I run on my 12v in a 5x.012

• Like 1

• Staff

@Mopar1973Man says I need to replace injectors, I would like to upgrade whenever I can. I don't want to smoke like an old freight train but a little won't bother me. I mostly drive empty, I will tow our camper a few times a year (about 7000 lbs). No plans on a tuner as of yet, in the future......maybe.

The rv275's are a slight upgrade over stock, the 7x.010 flow more above those I take it. 

Will the 7x.010 injector have any other affects like excess soot in the cylinders or anything like that?

Will I need to increase boost somehow to accommodate them? If so, what would be the best rout to do so?

I just trying to get a "plan" in my head so I know where to start and move forward in steps. 

I am new to diesel mods and trying to learn with out making costly mistakes in the process. I will be relying on the advise I get here.

Thanks for being patient with a newbie. Lol

If you just want a small bump in power the RV275'S are great. But if you think you will get bit by the power bug get the 7 x .010's and a a Quad and you can have the stock and power together. The power bug can be highly infectious. I do miss level 4 and 5 on my Comp while the pump remains untapped for warranty reasons.

• Like 2

• Staff

I have been looking around at injectors just seeing what's out there. I saw on DAP they have a new Bosch injector 7x.010 listed as a 175hp injector. Is that the correct one? If so, will this be a 175hp increase on install or will a tuner be needed to see this increase in full? If a tuner is needed, what could I expect without one for the time being? Smokey? Any hard cold start issues? 

Just more curious newbie questions. 

• Owner
1 hour ago, Doubletrouble said:

If a tuner is needed, what could I expect without one for the time being? Smokey? Any hard cold start issues? 

Basically without a tuner the timing will be off and the exhaust gets smokey. ECM is tune rather on the retarded side. Bigger injectors require more timing to be efficient. I'm running 7 x 0.010 injectors popped at 320 bar now with a Quadzilla Adrenaline and it completely smoke free reaching 21 MPG with the tuner. With wire tap I'm tuned for just a haze and it pulling serious power, enough to spin the tires on dry asphalt.

Without the tuner its very smokey. This is again because the stock ECM is tuned for stock injectors and timing is retarded pretty deeply after 20% engine load. 

Starting I've been down to -20*F no issue. 

• Staff

Is it safe to assume then that the EGT's would climb if using those injectors without a tune? 

Also, would there be an " in between " injector that would be above a rv275 that wouldn't require a tune?

How long will the present injectors be "ok" until replaced? 

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to learn. Been driving gassers forever other than the semi's for work.

• Owner
Just now, Doubletrouble said:

Is it safe to assume then that the EGT's would climb if using those injectors without a tune?

Empty driving not really. Towing most likely. The retarded timing was though to reduce cylinder pressures. Which it will but the cruising timing will be too low to be efficient which when you missing efficiency typically the result is added heat somewhere. Hence why the start of the power craze everyone have smoke rolling. Quadzilla is the only tuner right now with adjustable timing and producing about 180 HP.

Smarty Touch could too but at a cost of $1,800 for the full programming package and the tuner only produces 60 HP on our trucks, on CR Engine is 210 HP tuner. Basically over glorified Smarty S-03. 

1 minute ago, Doubletrouble said:

Also, would there be an " in between " injector that would be above a rv275 that wouldn't require a tune?

Only stock or RV275 injectors. This are both stock Cummins ISB and Cummins ISB motorhome series injectors. 

2 minutes ago, Doubletrouble said:

How long will the present injectors be "ok" until replaced?

How much engine load at idle? This will tell you. Typically injectors are done by 100k miles. Engine load will drop to zero which is the deepest the ECM can cut fuel. After this point the idle will start to rise. Injectors are failing at low (like 1 or 2%) to zero engine load.