• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Size

My heater core is an aftermarket aluminum. My fan on high using front middle vent doesn't blow much air & when I switch to vent/ floor it's very poor. When I had my fan out, I tried all speeds. At low the fan barely moves. Just tried a air movement test between my 2000 & a 2004. They are not even close to being the same. His fan on high with just middle front vents moves air all the way to his back seat & mine barely has enough to get over the top of the seat. So I am going to install a 2006 Dodge ram fan with more blades & reverse rotation. It will fit because I have a magic wand. The only difference I can see is for the motor cooling vent & 1 mounting hole. No biggie. Will let you know in a couple of days. I ordered it from Rock $56.08 with shipping to Canada. Napa wants $180.00 up here for same fan.

Stay tuned for results. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jag said:

So I am going to install a 2006 Dodge ram fan with more blades & reverse rotation. 

Will that work? Is the fan blades reversed also so that it will still blow and not suck, in your application?

I have the resistor just incase it's required.

Yes the fan blades are cupped in the opposite direction.

With clockwise rotation the air flow comes off the bottom of the fan looking at it from the fan side. The ccw fan, the airflow comes off the top. There is going to be a difference in how the air flows. Just think back then, they were still learning what works better. Look at VP, 1 year it worked, but then they discovered Common rail, it works better. Same thing with ECM, 98.5 worked, but by the time 2002 came around, it had better memory. There is always a reason for change.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NIsaacs said:

Will that work? Is the fan blades reversed also so that it will still blow and not suck, in your application?

A centrifugal fan can not work in reverse, for the purpose of A/C anyway. Spin direction can change, flow cannot... in the middle and out perpendicular to the axis of rotation. 

3 hours ago, jag said:

I have the resistor just incase it's required.

Yes the fan blades are cupped in the opposite direction.

With clockwise rotation the air flow comes off the bottom of the fan looking at it from the fan side. The ccw fan, the airflow comes off the top. There is going to be a difference in how the air flows. Just think back then, they were still learning what works better. Look at VP, 1 year it worked, but then they discovered Common rail, it works better. Same thing with ECM, 98.5 worked, but by the time 2002 came around, it had better memory. There is always a reason for change.

They have known how centrifugal fans worked since the 1830's and had it perfected since the 1890's. I'm unsure what you are trying to accomplish by putting a fan in that has blades facing the wrong way as well as spinning the wrong direction. 

• Like 2

Should have listened when MoparMan stated the the layout of the box is difference. I can't believe I talked myself into this. With the motor in reverse rotation plus the fins cupped the correct way for rotation, the air would have nowhere to escape. Just didn't see it.

This is how we learn not to try & be an engineer.

Cancelled the 2006 fan & ordered a new blower motor for my 2000.

Thanks Mopar Man.

Well this is what I finished with. 2 stage fan. The top fan is fed by the normal way & the bottom fan is fed by 4 - 7/8'' holesTop.jpg.8036ee098011ec29516e50642092ed22.jpgBottom.jpg.42485b2d60cc8ac12ba70715e0924806.jpg1967392230_4-7-8thholes.jpg.acf508f80442543e9523eca46b6bc069.jpg1281438552_Sideview.jpg.315337991272478474fbf823f1ed7780.jpg20201216_191856.jpg.b082e881f7008f4383fe59a91263de1d.jpg drilled in the base of the fan motor. You can see the bottom fan blades through the holes drilled at the motor base. The flow of air is far more powerful, than I had with the stock motor & blade. Plus is I now have recirculate on any switch setting. I can now drive around with the blower on floor only on low setting. Don't need center vent as it moves so much air it is actually to warm to need it. This is just what I was asking for, more heat, & I got it. Very happy. It's proven to work. Dodge wasn't the only one to use the setup. Mercedes Benz used this setup also.

• Like 2

That is interesting. What is the fan off of? Still using the 2000 dodge motor it looks like. Figure out a proper filter system and you may have the best system to ever grace a 2nd gen Dodge truck. I'll give this a go on mine as well.

Side note, the fan is capable of a higher pressure before compressor stall due to its blade design, the stock one is more geared to high flow with moderate pressure. 

The fan is off a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan. I had to enlarge the opening for the fan to fit in the box by 1/16". Other than that is just to get the fan sitting right, (up  down) on shaft.

The other reference I used was a 2000 Mercedes Benz C200 blower fan. They feed a bit different way, but same concept. I like this fan but could not find one local, so the Caravan was easy access from a junkyard for $10.00 & the motor was from RockAuto at $12.00. The full time recirculate really helps a lot in keeping truck warmer.

A lot of looking through RockAuto fans before I found the right one.

No, because you are still mixing with the cold air coming in from outside. I poured about a quarter cup of water on the rug, & no fogging. Temp here has also been plus 5 to minus 20. Big temp swing but no fogging. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jag said:

The full time recirculate really helps a lot in keeping truck warmer.

@Dieselfuture asked you if that fogs  your windows up more.  You said,

2 hours ago, jag said:

No, because you are still mixing with the cold air coming in from outside.

Ok, in mind I see a conflict here.  How are you getting cold air from outside if it is in "full time recirculate"?

- John

Simple,

I changed the fan & bored 4 holes on motor housing. I did not touch original heater in any way, so it performs as prescribed.

With the split fan, it recirculates full time because of the holes in fan housing. The top part of the fans does it's thing by bringing fresh air from outside, just like it should, & the bottom fan intakes the cab air via the 4 holes plus preventing the outside fresh air from coming in, with positive pressure going back into the airbox, thus full time recirculate on a smaller scale than MAX air.

Look at the bottom of the the fan housing on the Caravan, it's wide open. Same on the Benz.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Likely because I've never dealt with the blower assembly on my truck, but I am failing miserably in picturing what was done.

Also, the few times I've run my truck around -20 the last thing I needed was more heat in the cab. That may be because of the homemade winter front and blocking 2/3 the radiator with cardboard. I may have been running the 200 thermostat back then.

• Like 2