• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Okay, I need your guys help with this.  I’m trying to fix this daily tune so my EGTs are not so hot cursing down the interstate.  Right now, it is hard to keep under 900 while doing 70mph without any hills.( running in level 3,4,5, changing levels does not really change the EGTs)  The truck still has the damn DDP injectors in it since I have not had time to change the tips yet (next on list when I have time) so I know those are part of the problem.  Also, the truck does have 35x12.5 with 3.55 gears, so I don’t know if that is part of it as well.  Below is what I’m currently running, and any input would be much appreciated.

Power levels: 7

RPM  limit: 3400

Max valet mode power: 50

Pump stretch: 1400

TPS pump max: 100

TPS pump min: 20

Min pump tap fueling: 0

Pump low boost scale PSI: 12

Boost scaling: 40

Load timing: 1

Low PSI timing reduct: 5

Timing reduct scaling: 50

Light throttle timing ADV: 2

Light throttle timing load limit:40

RPM timing max:

1500-13

2000-17

2500-22

3000-27

Max:28

CanBus fuel

0-85

1-87

2-90

3-95

4-97

5-99

6-100

7-100

8-100

9-100

10-100

11-100

12-104

13-108

14-112

15-116

16-120

18-124

20-128

22-132

24-136

26-140

28-144

30-148

only thing you can do other than swap injectors to something other than DDP is add a few * of timing at cruise state.  1500 rpm do 15* and 2000 do 19.

your issue is your injectors + gears + tire size though.

• Like 2

You’re gearing is also hurting you with the 35’s. Like Nick said move your timing bands up some. I would also make sure your timing reduction isn’t taking you below 13*. There’s a fine line between spooling the turbo by pulling timing and wasting most of your power stroke out the tail pipe. 

• Owner

Being the final ratio is low yeah it needs retard to get the turbo spooled. If he had 3.60 to 3.73 then he could start with 15 @ 1500 RPM. But low final ratio needs heavy retard to spool. But even with good final ratio 15 @ 1500 will make a manual buck at low RPMs just to be aware.

6 minutes ago, Krlspokane12 said:

Thanks for the help, I added a few* of timing and it cooled it down a little.  I really need to get the nozzles on the DDPs swapped out. She is a hot smokey pig.

That should be the DDP slogan.

• Haha 3

I'm glad you mentioned that.  I was thinking about what nozzles is should use to replace this ddp garbage.  I wasn't sure if I should go with some 7×.009s vco or step up to 7x.0010 vco.  I'm still concerned about heat and how much my tires will effect it.  I'm running a 60/67/12 charger so I should be fine there?? What are your thoughts?

• Owner

Also running 7x0.010 injectors. Heck just hauled the RV over 17 miles of steep climb no issues with EGTs or coolant temps. Super good power. The only way to keep heat down is have a final ratio of 3.55 to 3.73 AFTER tires. If you have 3.55 with over sized tires you'll be heading lower below 3.55.

I appreciate the help, I ordering some 7x.010s from DAP, and going to try and get them swapped out next week.  What are your opinions on pop pressure? I know you guys are running some higher or at stock? Is there really noticeable difference?

I'm happy with 320 that now I bet is around 300ish, things wear in and settle down. Stock pop is good which is like 310 or whatever but if it can stay there after few thousand miles then 300-310 is good just from seeing some members here pulling their injectors out after short period of time and finding pop at 280-290, I'll stick with 320 to start with. 

I made a pop tester and tested some injectors I ran before and they are around 280 now, they may have 20k on them, not sure where they were set when I got them from dap, back then I didn't specify what I wanted them set at, guessing the were set to around 300

• Like 1

• Owner

Also at 320 bar (7 x 0.010). No starting or idling issues. Being my setup can and will spin all 4 tires. Towing power is super good.

Your larger tires do change the final ratio lower number. Like myself went smaller tired and increased the final ratio to 3.69 and I run 2k RPM at 66 MPH. This lowered my EGTs. Even my 2006 Dodge is 3.73 gears and slightly larger tires and just about the same RPM at 66 MPH. You should be cruising close to 2k at 65 MPH. Even at 80 MPH im just under 2.5 RPM.

2002 at 65 MPH is about 2.5 PSI boost and 550 to 600 EGTs.

2006 at 65 MPH is about 5 PSI boost and about 650 EGTs.

FINAL RATIO - has huge effects on running EGTs.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Getting the truck re-geared is on the list of things to do, but unfortunately it is on the bottom.  I'm hoping that getting rid of these DDPs will fix some of the heat issues.  Right now I'm right about 800 degrees at 65mph and about 1900rpm pillar gauge reading 3psi.  So hopefully those 7x.010 nozzles i bought aren't too big and don't help the problem, but at a minimum help stop me from smoking out intersections or hazing going down the highway.  We shall see.....

59 minutes ago, dripley said:

Are you sure you dont have 4:10 gears or am I missing something here?

Maybe the speedometer hasn't been corrected for the 35s. GPS may show he's going 75 and not 65.

Edited by LorenS