• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Picked up my new 2022 today.

Turbo Terry

16 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Again here we come back around full circle again time for CP4 to use "2 cycle oil" to keep them from damage. Remember EU requires 460 HFRR or less. US is 520 HFRR or less. Key point is Bosch has required 460 HFRR or less since the Ultra low sulfur diesel came out it only the US that refuses to meet the requirement.

002-what-is-cp4-injection-pump-failure.j

2021 and up they switched back to the CP3.

That’s why I bought a warranty and truck will remain box stock.  Truck has plenty of power  no need to have moreor modify it in anyway.   19 f and a foot of new snow and still snow. Getting to test the 4 wheel high today.  But being retired I really don’t have anywhere to go. Just joy ride around the hood 

• Staff
20 minutes ago, Turbo Terry said:

That’s why I bought a warranty and truck will remain box stock.  Truck has plenty of power  no need to have moreor modify it in anyway.   19 f and a foot of new snow and still snow. Getting to test the 4 wheel high today.  But being retired I really don’t have anywhere to go. Just joy ride around the hood 

Is that Mount Hood your talking about?

Can you add 2 stroke oil to the fuel to increase the lubricity to Bosch standards?

Edited by JAG1

I believe cp4 has issues when you over rev them and the plunger floats like valves will if the springs are weak. This takes pressure of the plunger and let's it rotate where the cylindrical bearing is no longer spinning it's perpendicular. Just a guess...

Plus cp4 is cheaper to make so why not save few bucks and tell costumers it's shitty fuel you put in.

Cp3 is like a 12 valve with a p-pump all mechanical and should go a million miles if taken care of.

Well sort of

• Staff

DEF is cheap and worth it, as the alternative is more EGR and that’s a crappy alternative that doesn’t benefit anything. 

My 18 is generally within 5% (plus/minus) of my 05, which was built, tuned, and dialed in for far better mileage than stock. Stock for stock my 18 is cheaper to operate than my 05 was. 

On 11/11/2021 at 3:36 PM, Dieselfuture said:

I believe cp4 has issues when you over rev them and the plunger floats like valves will if the springs are weak. This takes pressure of the plunger and let's it rotate where the cylindrical bearing is no longer spinning it's perpendicular. Just a guess...

Plus cp4 is cheaper to make so why not save few bucks and tell costumers it's shitty fuel you put in.

Cp3 is like a 12 valve with a p-pump all mechanical and should go a million miles if taken care of.

Well sort of

:think::smart:

• Staff

Aeration is a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist, as is lubricity in most cases. 

If you look at the sheer numbers of people that don’t ever add anything to their fuel and their average mileage on injectors isn’t any worse, or better. 

Additives should be used for certain specific purposes, such as Cetane for cold starting and low load use or cold flow improver for unwiterized fuel in cold weather. The rest of the time it’s snake oil, plain and simple. 

• Like 1

• Owner

Like myself I never use...

• Cetane boosters - Why? local fuel can be as high as 45 to 53 cetane already. Adding more is going to reduce BTU's.
  • Cold Flow Improvers - Why? Local fuels already up the amount Xylene (Pour Point Depressant) as high as 10% to 15%. Adding more just wipes out the lubricity.

The only thing that is not improved and does not meet Bosch standards is lubricity. 

REMEMBER !!! US Diesel Fuel is ~520 HFRR. UK fuel is ~460 HFRR.

bosch-testing.jpg

I don't have to say anything here being Bosch did all the HFRR testing for us all and then shown the damage by the low lubricity that US diesel fuel has. Even shows in the comment "Worst Case US Lubricity" This isn't made up or snake oil it is a real problem.

bosch-testing-cr-fail.jpg

bosch-testing-cr-pass.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff
26 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Like myself I never use...

• Cetane boosters - Why? local fuel can be as high as 45 to 53 cetane already. Adding more is going to reduce BTU's.
  • Cold Flow Improvers - Why? Local fuels already up the amount Xylene (Pour Point Depressant) as high as 10% to 15%. Adding more just wipes out the lubricity.

The only thing that is not improved and does not meet Bosch standards is lubricity. 

Simple.. more Cetane is good under certain operating conditions and not as beneficial as during others. Chemically changed the Cetane is not the same as Cetane differences thru refining, so the BTU content of the fuel is not changed the same. 

Fuel isn't always treaded when you need it to be, or for as cold as you need it to be. If I buy fuel in Boise in October it's not treated but I might head into temps that are approaching 0°F so you can be certain I'm going to treat my fuel.

The only thing that I really don't feel a need to be concerned with is lubricity, which has been proven to be adequate based on the average life of the components that care about lubricity. 

Most owners, the vast majority, don't do anything but add fuel and get great service life from their fuel system.

By and large the most common fuel issue is gelling, which has been greatly reduced with dual fuel heaters on the newer Ram's. When the 13+ trucks came out with a software glitch and the aft fuel heater wasn't enabled they had a gelling issue across the fleet... which is still a fuel issue but it can be rectified with heaters. 

Under the rpm range and normal operating conditions of US diesels Cetante boost isn't going to provide much in the way of quantifiable results for most, but for those with more cold soaked starts in very cold weather, and/or low load operation in cold weather, the cold and low load ignition improvements from Cetane boost are quantifiable. 

Cetane is higher in the UK, but they also have higher revving diesels than most of the US diesels. More Cetane is needed for high rpm operation. 

• Owner
52 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

Simple.. more Cetane is good under certain operating conditions and not as beneficial as during others. Chemically changed the Cetane is not the same as Cetane differences thru refining, so the BTU content of the fuel is not changed the same. 

Even from ASTM testing labs...

There is no benefit to using a higher cetane number fuel than is specified by the engine's manufacturer. The ASTM Standard Specification for Diesel Fuel Oils (D-975) states, "The cetane number requirements depend on engine design, size, nature of speed and load variations, and on starting and atmospheric conditions. Increase in cetane number over values actually required does not materially improve engine performance. Accordingly, the cetane number specified should be as low as possible to insure maximum fuel availability." This quote underscores the importance of matching engine cetane requirements with fuel cetane number!!!

• Staff

That is 100% correct in terms of overall engine performance. The engine is tuned around the fuel it was designed to run on. That has nothing to do with what I am referring to as benefits thou. The fuel will still ignite better and burn cleaner at low temp/low load with a slightly higher cetane value even if the overall performance of the engine isn't improved. 

Bottom line is that higher Cetane means quicker ignition. What the quicker ignition does for the engine depends on a host of parameters. 

Pro's and Con's to everything. 

Stock my 05 hated Cetane boost and would knock, but with the tune I ran after the rebuild it would start easier with Cetane boost when COLD soaked. 

I only use it for 1 or 2 tanks a year when I want the specific benefit, just like cold flow or #1 in the tank.