• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Time for ball joints, alignment

I'd believe that, if my '96 didn't steer so nicely..

my 96 drove just like this one before i fixed it, except no bump steer. you really had to think about a curve in the road and start steering before you got to it. the engine blew up and i traded it before i could have it fixed.

I don't really have any bump-steer in the '01. It does tend to wander just a hair, on uneven road surfaces, but other than that, it's just hard to steer. Almost like the power steering is 90% inop, but the Ps is fine, brakes are fine, no leaks, etc.. I be confused.

I'm no expert at this, but I remember hearing that if the steering geerbox gets adjusted as described in the TSB, it can get too tight (I think the term is the over center adjustment). That could cause serious resistance to the steering effort.

I'm no expert at this, but I remember hearing that if the steering geerbox gets adjusted as described in the TSB, it can get too tight (I think the term is the over center adjustment). That could cause serious resistance to the steering effort.

I'll have to check into that. I've not touched my steer gear adjustment, but something isn't quite right. It's easy(er) to steer once it's moving, but even at a standstill, you can't hardly rotate the steering wheel. Sometimes, you just flat-out cannot turn the wheel at a stop.

I am working on my front end as we speak.Mine is all played out.Steering wheel is to the left when i drive straight.So far i have,upper/lower moog, a dss steering stabilized and new endlinks with swaybar bushings.I am looking at 3rd gen track bar.

I'll have to check into that. I've not touched my steer gear adjustment, but something isn't quite right. It's easy(er) to steer once it's moving, but even at a standstill, you can't hardly rotate the steering wheel. Sometimes, you just flat-out cannot turn the wheel at a stop.

That sounds a lot like the gearbox if failing. You can get a gearbox at NAPA if money is tight. It isn't the 'top of the line', but it sure helps.

That sounds a lot like the gearbox if failing. You can get a gearbox at NAPA if money is tight. It isn't the 'top of the line', but it sure helps.

oh yay... Now I may be needing a steering box AND an injector pump.. :spend::spend::spend::spend: that I do NOT have... :banghead:

• Owner

I am working on my front end as we speak.Mine is all played out.Steering wheel is to the left when i drive straight.So far i have,upper/lower moog, a dss steering stabilized and new endlinks with swaybar bushings.I am looking at 3rd gen track bar.

There is a center adjustment on the link from the pitman arm of the steering box to adjust steering wheel center that would help... :smart:

I was just thinking the same thing. I had to adjust it a bit when I replaced my track bar. All you do is loosen the clamps and turn the turnbuckle. Then check to see if you are turing it the correct way to center your steering wheel. Once you get it to where you think the steering wheel is straight, take your truck for a short drive and see if it needs any fine tuning. Once you get it where you want it, snug those clamps back down, and enjoy your steering wheel being straight again. :cheers:

Thanks guys.Sunday i am going to install a track bar.I will deal with the streering wheel at that point.I need to center the axle, it is over to the driver side.I am going to try a plumb bob and measure tire to frame i never did this before i hope it goes well.I cant eyeball it from the back because it a dually:doh:

• Owner

I was just thinking the same thing. I had to adjust it a bit when I replaced my track bar. All you do is loosen the clamps and turn the turnbuckle. Then check to see if you are turing it the correct way to center your steering wheel. Once you get it to where you think the steering wheel is straight, take your truck for a short drive and see if it needs any fine tuning. Once you get it where you want it, snug those clamps back down, and enjoy your steering wheel being straight again. :cheers:

Actually you're backwards... Center the wheels on the ground then adjust the turnbuckle till the steering wheel is straight again. Since the tire aren't going to move at all but the steering wheel has no resistance...

• 4 weeks later...

guys make sure you do your tests in netural, my truck loves to drive to one side since i got my alignment done, but hell in neutral she is a straight as an arrow, and BTW since i got the alignment my pyro's drop over 100F.You truck wanting to go to one side is normal especially if your adding power and have the LSD rear, because power isw being transmuted to one side before the other,

• 2 weeks later...
:cool:

So what should I know heading into this project? I came across this somewhere (maybe it was even here somewhere, can't remember) and wonder what you guys say about it. http://www.turbodieselregister.com/tdrarticles/tdrarticle53_fromtheshopfloor.html I plan to go with Moog parts. What about the alignment, I understand that getting things set precisely is important on these trucks. I have a serious wandering problem and hope to gain a lot of ground with this problem.

Two years ago I went w/ Moog, mine are still solid!
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...