• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What oil filter do you use?

AH64ID

What oil filter do you use?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What oil filter do you use?

• Amsoil EaO80 or Donaldson ELF7349
    • Fleetguard LF16035 (Stratapore)
    • Fleetguard LF3972 (OEM)
    • Baldwin BT7349
    • Wix 57620 (NAPA 7620)
    • Wix 57620XE (NAPA 7620XE)
    • Purolator PureOne
    • Donaldson P558615
    • Mobil 1
    • I use a bypass too!

• Staff

What oil filter do you use? Do you have a bypass? If you use more than one kind, list your preffered filter. Trying to see what's the most common. If you use a Stratpore LF3894 just select the LF16035. If you use a Hastings LF608 just select Baldwin BT7349. Here is the data I have on the filters listed. Donaldson P558615 40um @ 98.7%, 20 @ 50% Cellulose

Fleetguard LF3972 30um @ 95% (35 @ 98.7% last info) Cellulose

Wix 57620 30um @ 95%, 20um @ 50% Cellulose

Wix 57620XE 25um @ 95%, 14um @ 50% Glass Enhanced Cellulose

Baldwin BT7349 30um @ 98.7%, 12um @ 50% Synthetic blend

Fleetguard LF16035 30um @ 100% (25um @ 98.7% last info) Stratapore Synthetic

Purolator L45335 20um @ 97.5% Cellulose

Purolator PL45335 20um @ 99.9% Synthetic

Amsoil EaO80 20um @ 100%, 15um @ 98.7%, 7um @ 59.97% Nanofiber Synthetic

Donaldson ELF7349/DBL7349 20um @ 100%, 15um @ 98.7%, 7um @ 59.97% Nanofiber Synthetic

Mobil 1 M1403 10um @ 50% Synthetic blend

Edited by AH64ID

Currently working on adapting a Fleetguard Centriguard CH41102 Centrifugal Oil Bypass filter to 24 valve 2nd gen. trucks. We were having some difficultly finding oil line fittings. Will post pics and part number with my supplier contact for the Centriguard once we have everything worked out.

What kind of fittings can't you find?

We found the fitting we were looking for, just took a good bit of looking and cross referencing. It was a tee-fitting that splits off of the turbo oil line to send oil to the Centrifugal filter.

• Staff

We found the fitting we were looking for, just took a good bit of looking and cross referencing. It was a tee-fitting that splits off of the turbo oil line to send oil to the Centrifugal filter.

Why are you putting a "T" in the oil feed line? There are 2 empty 1/8" NPT ports in the filter head.

• Staff

They are the micron ratings and efficancy at that rating. So the OEM filter removes 95% of all particles 30um and largerThe 57620XE removes 95% of all particles 25um and larger, and 50% of all particles 14um and larger. The Amsoil removes 100% of all particles 20um and lager, 98.7% of all particles 15um and larger, and 59.97% of all particles 7um and larger.

Why are you putting a "T" in the oil feed line? There are 2 empty 1/8" NPT ports in the filter head.

The alternator bracket creates an interference, at least on my friends truck which is a 99 model.

I run Amsoil exclusively on my 02 as I have a dual remote bypass/fullflow filter head on it but after the next change am going to get rid of the dual filter head and go with a single remote bypass and go with a standard full flow. I have problems with it building oil pressure fast enough in temps under 0*f when it has to push all the cold stiff oil through 8 feet of 1/2 inch hose.:doh: I run Amsoil 10w30 diesel oil to prevent this in the winter time and I don't care to run oil that thin in a diesel that gets worked hard. My 05 I run amsoil bypass and get whatever is available based on where I am at the moment, Always either fleetgaurd or Hastings. Wifes VW Jetta TDI gets mostly Hastings filters for everything.

• 3 weeks later...

What is the glitch in the system that always shows this thread on the new posts page for me about every other day even though it hasn't been posted in for about 2 weeks now? Showed last post was an hour ago.:shrug: EditNow its on top of the list again and showing last post 7 minutes ago and its been an hour since posing last time.:shrug:

• 1 month later...

If you use a Stratpore LF3894 just select the LF16035. Fleetguard LF16035 30um @ 100% (25um @ 98.7% last info) Stratapore Synthetic

The one I use. So what does the 25um @..... mean? Its a 30um filter but can stop 98.7% of particles that are under 30 but bigger than 25um?

• 4 weeks later...

Used the Stratapore this time but Thinking of going with the Purolator PureONE. I read a little while back that its actually better than the Fleetgaurd. Quote from a post on CF from the OP.

Most filters are rated at an absolute rating. Previously I had received the absolute data on the OEM filters, but this last time I called they had changed how they report it. Wix rarely reports absolute data, and Mobil 1 won't give it to me. The problem with just rating every filter at say 18um is that filter efficiency isn't linear. So while one filter may be 100% at 18um and 50% at 9um, another could be 95% at 18um and 50% at 9um, so its not perfect. Absolute ratings are traditionally the industry standard, just like in fuel filters. It does involve a little interpretation, but ones you get used to looking at them you can glance at a big list and find the best filters. Almost all filters are different (except where NAPA is Wix, Amsoil is Donaldson, Hastings is Baldwin, etc), and different media's filter differently, hence the wide range of efficiencies from 40 to 15 absolute, and everywhere in between. The more finer particles you can remove the better. This is a list of the filters above in the order of least efficient to most efficient. Donaldson P558615 Fleetguard LF3972 Wix 57620 Wix 57620XE Baldwin BT7349 Mobil 1 M1403 Fleetguard LF16035 Purolator L45335 Purolator PL45335 Amsoil EaO80 Donaldson Elf7349 So when your running OEM OCI, and dino oil really all you need to do is meet or excceed OEM specs. But if you want to run a little better oil, or just a little better filter for similar cost then pick a filter out of the middle, the Stratapore is popular for a reason. Then if you want to run your oil a little longer, little better oil, or just want the best in filtration get a filter from the bottom of the list. But then you also have to look at the media and holding capacity, like the Purolator filters are very efficient, but don't hold a lot of media so they aren't good for extended drain intervals like the Amsoil/Donaldson are. Here are my personal recommendations on filters. OEM change interval 1) Amsoil/Donaldson 2) Stratapore 3) Baldwin Shorter than OEM interval 1) PureOne 2) Stratapore 3) Baldwin Longer than OEM interval 1) Amsoil/Donaldson