• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Storing Diesel Truck or Engine

• Owner

I know you will end up pulling both batteries out. Personally I would drain the fuel tank down to near empty. But leave fuel in the system this will prevent rubber seal from drying out.I would store it in a enclosed building that someone is will do deal with pest control (mice and rats). After your return...All fluids would have to be changed. (Coolant, engine oil, brake fluid, axle gear lube, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, etc.)Fresh batteries installed.Might consider tires if there life is over 7 year old. I know the best way to store a truck is to just drive it once a week or so... But I got a feeling you planing to cross the pond at some point? :shrug:

I would start it and drive it 10 miles once every 2-3 months. Mine has been sitting for that long and the only thing that happens is condensation forms on everything because weather will change but that engine block takes a long time to change with the weather. With condensation comes surface rust on pulleys and such. Drive it for 10 miles and the belt wears it all back off. I just wonder if the same thing happens inside the engine. I have my doubts since there is oil on everything but starting it every couple months will keep that film of oil on stuff to keep the water from touching bare metal. As for the batteries, you either take them out or get a float charger.

Well, my faithful JD backhoe has sat out, seldom used for years at a time. Mice are a problem even on the backhoe as the like to sit on the transission & the mouse deposits interfere with the transmission linkage. I've had a lot of rust problems here... the Chevy truck that was in the barn, had a lot of rust underneath. At some point I had a valve hang... it un-hung when the piston hit it, spitting the pushrod out... the strange thing is that that interval was no longer than some others. I should have fogged the gas 454. Previously, I'd had it out of action but kept plates & insurance so my buddy at whose house it was stored, could drive it occasionally.I really think the TCW3 oil is a real benifit... Storing a gas engine, I'd run some through the fuel & then fog with it... years ago I used to fog boat engines with Mystery Oil but today I'd use the TCW3. My CTD truck doesn't get used that much... but I plan to drive it once each week. If I had to store a truck, I think barring the engine over once might be a really good idea. I deliberately scuff the brakes the 1/2 mile hill leaving the house. It's amazing how fast stuff rusts around here. If I could get a caretaker... and it wasn't going to be driven... I think I'd look into not only indoor storage but running a dehumidifier (I've run them in my shop & basements for years... but they ice up in cold weather.)

The truck I have sat for about 5 years with a bad VP44. Been chasing little gremlins like sticking brake caliper pistons and slides. The parking brake was set when it started its nap so it took a while to get it all freed up and working again. Had 3/4 tank of fuel that had to be drained. Like Mike said, I had to change every fluid it had. Both batteries were shot as well. Belt had cracked and dry rotted and the first time I pulled a hill with it the temp got to close for comfort to overheating before the fan kicked in the first time. That seems to have started working better after that initial scare. I would definitely try finding somewhere climate controlled and that could help keep a lot of these problems from being there.

• Staff

I agree with what Mike listed. If it cannot be driven at all I would also pull the rocker arms for 2 reasons. One is there will be even/min pressure on all the springs, and the valves will all be closed to keep moisture out. Its a much easier task than one thinks. You could easily have all 6 off and the valve cover back on in 30 minutes or less. Put the tires at 80 psi and consider putting the frame on jack stands to pull some, but not all, of the weight off the springs. Change the oil before you park it and use a good oil that will keep the seals lubed. I would certainly fog it. My dads 3406 in his boat sat for 9 months a year every year (built in 93 and sold in 2008) and it never had anything done to it but fresh oil and a shut-off, and never had any lack of use leaks/issues/etc.

It would be safe to leave it in my driveway. I could make sure it got started once in awhile.

Haha I missed this one :) you never know .... I think after Alaska in aug I will have a better idea about how long I an keeping the truck ;)

• Staff

You spray it in the intake and it coats the pistons/cylinder walls with oil. You do it with the motor running for 20-30 seconds and then shut it off immediately... thou I am not sure how flammable it is for run-away on a diesel.. may be something to ask Amsoil, or whoever's product you purchase. It makes gas engines run like crap so I am guessing it wont cause run-away.