• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil Truns Black Quick

• Staff

In your opinion what is the best stock filter. I have used eao80 for 4 years and I thought they where pretty good.

EaO80 or Donaldson ELF7349, same filter but the Donaldson is cheaper... There is nothing better.

The cam on the cr motors closes the exhaust early for emissions reasons. This is not the case as much with your 01. If you want cleaner oil you will need a new cam. That is my next upgrade on my 05!

It will help with the UOA, but my oil is still just as black 15K miles after my cam. I was hoping it would clean up, but I think the pistons still contribute too much to the soot loading. I am very happy with my cam thou! I am glad I didn't go bigger as I would have had to do something different with the exhaust brake, I lowered my rpms for 60 psi by 500!

• Staff

My 01 uses stratopore filters. They have lasted a million miles and the cylinders still have crosshatching. How can there be better filters? Maybe some are just as good, but better?

Stratapore are great fitlers, don't get me wrong. But they are absolute at 25um, the Donaldson/Amsoil are absolute at 15um, that's better. Is it needed? Probably not for most, but they are about the same cost and better filtration is better regardless.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

I once rode to the sawmill with a load of logs from my place and asked the driver about the black oil in diesel engines. He was around retirement age at the time, been hauling logs most all his life. He told me that 'black is beautiful' on a diesel engine because the oil is actually doing it's job by doing what it's supposed to do, keeping the engine clean.I'm old school and don't understand the extended oil changes you guys do, but definetly would be nice! It gets old in a hurry changing the oil all the time.I have about 30 one gallon jugs of waste oil layin around here too. What to do with them...:shrug:

I have about 30 one gallon jugs of waste oil layin around here too. What to do with them...:shrug:

Our garbage comapny(Western Oregon Waste) has a recycling center and they take it (no limit). The way Oregon is with recycling I am pretty sure they would a place in your neck of the woods!
  • Like 1

• Staff

Yeah I know about the recycle deals. Just wish there was a way to turn it into fuel. It is good for starting woodstove fires. Just place a few drops on the charcoals and it lights right up but that hardly uses it fast enough. Placing more than a few drops is not good, I found out, it makes a mini explosion when the oil starts gasing/smoking.:stuned:

• Staff

i googled those things. let me know if you find one for less than $2k. i like the idea, but the cost??????????:shrug:

$2k!:stuned: Gotta be someway to make one with an old wood stove.... just need to find out how they are set up fabricate something. One problem; if they don't burn right you'll have a lot of soot coming out the pipe smokin' the neighbors.

I changed the oil in my 05 and in one day it was just as black as it was before I changed it. Thinking of running for a few days and drain again. Before I add Amsoil. I run Amsoil in my 01 and it stays clean for about4-5k before turning black. Why would the oil in the 05 turn black so fast?

I recommend trying a Baldwin BD7317 Dual Flow Spin On Oil Filter. If you buy them by the case from BF Web Express, they cost $12 http://www.bfwebexpress.com/ I put one on the wife's truck and I was VERY impressed with how clean it keeps the oil. A HUGE improvement over the OEM filters.

Guys; I wish I could tell you more about those oil heaters, but I can't. I've seen a couple, but never really "looked" at them, if you know what I mean. One was in a farmers shop that I stopped by to ask him to hunt on his land, and the other is in the garage I take my truck to for the stuff that I'm not set up to do. But I will tell you this, these two that I've seen, the guys love them because of the amount of heat they put out.If you've got access to a lot of waste oil, the initial cost my be paid back pretty quick in the fuel/heating costs that you normally to pay what ever provider you use!! Don't just look at the initial cost of the unit. It's worth considering IMHO!!!

• Like 1

Guys; I wish I could tell you more about those oil heaters, but I can't. I've seen a couple, but never really "looked" at them, if you know what I mean. One was in a farmers shop that I stopped by to ask him to hunt on his land, and the other is in the garage I take my truck to for the stuff that I'm not set up to do. But I will tell you this, these two that I've seen, the guys love them because of the amount of heat they put out. If you've got access to a lot of waste oil, the initial cost my be paid back pretty quick in the fuel/heating costs that you normally to pay what ever provider you use!! Don't just look at the initial cost of the unit. It's worth considering IMHO!!!

the waste oil would be my problem. i dont think the cummins or the dakota will provide much heat. it is a good concept. especially if you are getting the fue free.