• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Clutch goes soft with use - then recovers.

2001 Ram 2500 quad 4x2, 24 valve turbo 5 speed.Suddenly clutch started going soft (doesn't engage fully, hard to shift into gear) if depressed for prolong period or if engaged several times in a row. Strangely it recovers and works fine within a few minutes. I am guessing slave/master cylinder issue - but why does it recover and work fine? Air in the line? It drives just fine otherwise and clutch and gears work great as long as I lay off the clutch as much as possible (coast to stops put in neutral, etc.). Maybe this is common but, anytime I had clutch problems in past with cars it was a slow permanent process - no recovery. Ideas out there? Hate to crack open housing and buy parts needlessly. Thanks! PS - looks like a great forum! Had the truck only 1 year and have had almost no problems. Used mainly as a work truck.

Sounds like it's bleeding the pressure back because of a leak or something. Maybe the fluid is low now as well. Air leak would make it mushy the entire time I would think, this sounds more like it working but the hydraulic seal isn't holding up and it's letting the pressure drain back into the reservoir. Either way it definitely sounds like a master/slave issue.

when my master went, it would work fine and then just start letting out on its own. then would work good for a while and do it a gain. finally it just went completely. i replace just the master cylinder. it took alot of pumping to get the air out of it but it has worked fine for over a year. i just replaced the slave when i changed out the clutch. the one i bought had a bleeder screw on it. bed it a couple times and it is working just fine. i never took anything out of the truck other than the two cylinders.mine also never showed any sign of leakage. evidently iwas leaking by the seals internaly

Am I the first to think alternatively of the title? LOL But yeah, just replace (I know, easier said than done, monetarily) the assembly and call it done.

had to think about that one for minute. seems there more of us in the gutter than previously thought.:lmao: