• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

aftermarket exhaust

Hey fellas what are you putting on these trucks for complete exhaust upgrades? Where is the best place to buy a complete kit? I dont want to pay the muffler shop $600 to do it when I can buy the kit and install and weld it myself. Also are results really noticeable? MPG's and Perf.? let me know, thanks

Here is the most inexpensive exhaust place that I have found on the 'net. They only carry 4" for your truck, and that would be your only option. With a 4" exhaust, you would have cooler EGT's, better flow through the engine. Do you have any type of upgraded air filter, if not, then you also need to consider that. Others will chime in.
  • Like 3

I bought a 4" turbo back SS system off ebay. A universal kit, it came with a few large sections and several shorter to accommidate different truck lengths, all SS clamps, welded on hangers, oversize bright exhaust tip. (The muffler & tip were the better SS alloy & polished light.) The pipe mates with the OEM turbo flange, expands in the first inch. The "muffler" with the package is "straight through" really no muffler at all. The upgrade in size... I think OEM is 3.5 at the turbo and less beyond the muffler... so going 4" full length is a decent upgrade. The SS is so it doesn't rot out like the OEM. Next time in the shop, I'm adding a SS swirl resonator to tone down the drone when running heavy. I bought a k&n drop in at the local NAPA auto parts... saw no improvement with stock truck. I disgarded the k&n after 10,000. Initially I put in an improved drop in dry filter. At least I have clean air going in. I don't know what k&n you are running but most do not feel they filter adequately for a turbo diesel.

• Like 1

I also installed a 4 inch exhaust system from the turbo back. It included a resonator. I bought the system off ebay and installed myself. Don't remember the brand name. No welding needed and it came with all the brackets and hangers and everything fit perfectly. Been on my truck for over 5 years now and I am satisfied with it. I also installed a K&N filter (there are better filters out there than the K&N) and this combo gave me an honest 2 mpg on the road and nearly the same for my in town driving. I am a light touch on the go pedal.

• Like 1

when i was looking into power upgrades everything i read said to add better air flow before adding power so i installed a 4" exhaust and a k&n filter. i have since replaced the k&n with a BHAF. i bought my exhaust with the stinger plus package i iinstalled 6 years ago. so far it has served me well. no better milage for me, but that has alot to do with driving style. i know mopar man has a straight 3" exhaust on his and it is working fine with his edge. the 3" will support some power upgrades but i dont know how much.

• Like 1

Here is the most inexpensive exhaust place that I have found on the 'net. They only carry 4" for your truck, and that would be your only option. With a 4" exhaust, you would have cooler EGT's, better flow through the engine. Do you have any type of upgraded air filter, if not, then you also need to consider that.

Others will chime in.

Thanks for posting the link! Good prices.

--- Update to the previous post...

Im guessing that since you posted this in the 2nd gen section your talking about the 01 3500 in your sig? Rollin smoke diesel has some good prices

http://www.rollinsmokediesel.com/default.cfm

-Jordan-

What did you guys pay on Ebay,do you remember?

I'm do, my pipe coming out of my stock muffler keeps splitting & I just keep welding the pipe back on!

Dave

I paid $275 when I bought my several years back.

Great!

I payed $300.61 + tax in May of 05 for a cheap stainless steel Magnaflow. I can see small rust spots at the tip.

300 bucks for SS, cool!

Both of you did the Ebay thing right?

Dave

i got my 4 inch tbe from walt at FTE diesel, but i also would suggest a Pac Elbow if you are looking for truly better flow, as it replaces the crappy head unit on the turbo flange anyways. Unless your getting a PAC brake that is not inline.

Cool! A friend of mine also said that nearby Summit Auto Parts has some good deals. they make their own line I was told!

I run the Diamond Eye (aluminized steel) 4" DP, 5" back, 6" SS tip with SS muffler.

~$380, iirc. I love it, to be honest.[/quote

Not a bad price!

I remember checking out the pix you had posted of your muffler delete. How loud are you? Do you have any exhaust drone in the cab running down the highway?

It the exit pipe coming out of my muffler that's dying here, maybe if I kept the resonator it won't be that loud.:shrug:

Thanks,

Dave

I dynoed my 98.5 with stock exhaust and then dynoed again with a full 4in system and strait through muffler. Same dyno and exactly the same numbers. The pyro was the only place I saw a difference. It ran a lot cooler. The dyno numbers for hp and torque were unchanged but it sounded at least 50hp better.

• Like 3

I dynoed my 98.5 with stock exhaust and then dynoed again with a full 4in system and strait through muffler. Same dyno and exactly the same numbers. The pyro was the only place I saw a difference. It ran a lot cooler. The dyno numbers for hp and torque were unchanged but it sounded at least 50hp better.

I was wondering about all the hype of going to a 4". :ahhh: Thanks for the facts CLUTCH! I was curious since I keep having to put the Mig to mine, for the low price, it could be justified. Dave