• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

GPS Navigation

Rogan

So, I'd love to upgrade my radio to a NAV version, but I'm not trying to spend $1000 to do it.In the past 3 yrs, I've went through 2 Garmins (a Nuvi an a 1350T). so I tried using my Sprint phone with Navigation. It worked fine for a short period of time. Now the GPS antenna in the EVO 4G is flaking out and will cycle itself, dropping GPS signal when you need it most. So that's worthless, not to mention, a 3" screen is hard to see, especially factor in the vibrating around in the rough-riding truck..What do you guys use/do for GPS in the 2gen trucks?

I usually have my lap top and phone card. Google maps for in the city. Use them for cross country some times, but does not work well out in the middle of nowhere. I mostly use a regular fold up state map or road atlas. I guess I am mostly old school when it comes to navagation. I would have to agree that the Garmins and such are really good in town, but the highway just give me a map.

I use mine 99% business deliveries and a lot of places are non-repeats (new customers) and residential. I rely on it heavily, to be honest. Turn by turn voice isn't important to me, as I cant usually hear it in the truck anyway, but I do watch the mapping and such.

I usually have my lap top and phone card. Google maps for in the city. Use them for cross country some times, but does not work well out in the middle of nowhere. I mostly use a regular fold up state map or road atlas. I guess I am mostly old school when it comes to navagation. I would have to agree that the Garmins and such are really good in town, but the highway just give me a map.

I have a netbook, and did consider using it (tethered to my phone) for GPS, or getting a standalone GPS/NAV application for it, and just use that.. Considered Microsoft Streets and Trips ($75 with GPS dongle) and a couple other commercial apps (CoPilot 8, etc) but haven't made a decision..

--- Update to the previous post...

I use Tom Tom.

Posted Image

gloShift gauge? which is the top one?

As f

or TomTom, I've considered that as well. I've just not had much luck with the Garmins in the past few years, and I'm tired of buying new ones. This last one (1350) is now taking forever to boot, and usually about 5 minutes to get signal and decide to display the map..

I use mine 99% business deliveries and a lot of places are non-repeats (new customers) and residential. I rely on it heavily, to be honest. Turn by turn voice isn't important to me, as I cant usually hear it in the truck anyway, but I do watch the mapping and such.

With what you are doing I would definately want one. I have used one in my daughters vehicle when site seeing witht the family and it is a very useful tool. As long as I just have to find one place every so often maps work pretty good.

gloShift gauge? which is the top one?

On the 3 pillar pod, the top one is not use, just filled with a gauge, middle is the 3-in-1(boost, EGT, fuel pressure), bottom is oil temp.

The Tom Tom is held on magnetically to the pillar post, with a piece of metal glued to the inside, and magnets glued to the bottom of the GPS unit. This way I can use it in my JEEP also.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have the GPS that came with my truck and when it was time to see of updates, it was over $200 for the CD and is a pain in the a** to use while driving.

I found a TomTom at the Sams club for under $150 (including tax), and this has '4 updates per year for life'. It's not built in like the Dodge GPS, but great to drop in any truck. Even the wife likes using it.

It has:

[*]color screen and large enough to be comfortable

[*]posted speed, and your actual speed that turn red when your 5 mph over on the unit, which I did not see on the other brands they sold

[*]miles to the selected destination with estimated time to travel

[*]free options add ons like motels, gas stations, banks, speed cameras and so much more indicated on the screen while on your route

[*]plus many pay for add-ons if you want

[*]US, Canada and Mexico roads each update

[*]clear sound and loud enough to hear with air on or the window down

[*]and plenty more for a cheaper unit

I will never go on a trip without it. But I'm still old fashion and carry maps out of habit.

I bought a new TomTom with free traffic & map updates for life a year ago when my still working Magellan would have cost more for the updates than the new one I chose TomTom because of the updates deal. I constructed mounts to go in my car & truck... both wedge around the center air duct. In the truck, certain music interferes with the GPS mounted a couple of inches above it. I didn't like the bought air duct mount but I used the mounting ring.

When I bought mine, TomTom was the only one with the possibility of free updates. I figured that the others would have to do the same... or go out of business! I generally like the TomTom unit but there are some things that are hard to use.

I use TomTom and really like it. I bought one with lots of ram so I wouldn't have to worry about limiting the maps I load on it.You have to go to the TomTom web site and look at the various models to be sure you get the one with lots of ram.Many times the good sales on are units that have limited ram or other GPS features.On my 3rd gen I have the NAV system and it has limited capability. Only gives turn by turn directions and no moving map. Very cumbersome to use compared to the TomTom. I am looking for options to replace that system but like you said the radio/nav system combos are 'mucho denaro"Haven't decided on a solution for that truck yet.

Bah.. I'm still on the fence as for what to do.. I'm not too rushed about it right now, but will definitely need to make a decision within the next 2 weeks..

I highly recommend the tom tom with free map updates. I use my tom tom like a few times a year and great to be up to date. Also mine has traffic report in case there is a accident . It tells how long you will be delayed and where. Same with construction it will tell where it is and how long you will be delayed. Its great using through Atlanta.

In reading on TomToms website (reviews) there seems to be quite a bit of dissatisfaction about the "free lifetime maps".. Apparently, the maps are free, but the subscription "to" the map section is $60/yr???WTF is that?